Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #21
kp

Default Re: 160 A or B

I have a 31 coupe and I want a 4 door sedan . Trade any one ?
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
Steam Engine Pete

Bruce, it is interesting to read about all the changes made. I have been trying to find out as much information about my car as possible. My engine was built on June 3, 1931, speedo is dated April 31 and I have tan broadcloth interior that came out in late May of 31. I also have a decal on the dash from Clarence Kraft Motors in Fort Worth Tx. I have looked for numbers on the body but had not had any luck.

Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
SteveB31

Their is another light switch , which is the one you have, that is not referenced in the light switch post earlier in this thread. It looks like the one on the right (the more common 1929-1931 style), but only has three total positions. It can be identified by the fact that when you look down inside it from the top (as in where the spider goes into it), it has TWO little square holes (about 1/16" square) rather then one square hole like 99% of the others of that style. Those little square holes are punched out , and have a little tab punched out of them, to stop the brass part from turning all the way around. The 2nd little punched out hole is what is stopping it from turning to the 4th position. I believe these were the first style of that style of switch used in 1929 before they introduced parking lights.

Many 160 series slant cars were made before they switched to the indented firewall. I have owned 6 NON indented firewall 160 series cars.

I must admit though, that I have never seen a NON indented firewall 400A, but since they came out right when the indented foreall came out, I do not doubt that a few were made.

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
columbiA

My first car in 53 was a 160B-for $75.This summer I picked up another one,an old 70.s resto w/a very nice body-for considerably more than $75 ! I have since installed a Columbia OD & rebuilt all the steering.This is a real nostalgia trip for me.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
columbiA

Canadian 31 As did not have the indented firewall.I think it would be aPITA to lift the hood every time to turn gas off& on.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #26
SteveB31

I did not know that Canadian cars never had indented firewalls, but that sure makes sense,since it was a US lawsuit that created the indented firewalls to start with.....and yes it is a PITA to open the hood to shut off the fuel..
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #27
CountrySquire55

The 31 Town Sedan I recently bought is an indented firewall model and the previous owner added an electric fuel cutoff (wired to the ignition switch) that is installed between the fuel cutoff valve on the firewall and the carb. So far, so good, and it seems to work well.
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #28
Steam Engine Pete

Just thought I would report on my car since the last post. I appreciate all the information and help available here. I have put just a little over 1100 miles on my car since I bought it in the middle of November. I have read alot on here about exhaust, motor mounts, charging systems, wiring etc. and have learned alot.

Since I got this car it has gotten new tires, kingpins, new exhaust, rear float motor kit and the front motor mount repaired. I have learned a few things.

1. The rear float a motor helps quite a bit but making sure the front motor mount is fixed helps a bunch. I installed the rear kit and it helped but fixing the front mount with original style parts finished the job. It never vibrated real bad, just had the Model A buzz. Huge improvement.

2. The kingpin repair was easy to do and was also a huge improvement.

3. Model A brakes will work real well when repaired and adjusted properly.

4. All new exhaust is sweet.

5. Manifold heaters work real well. My wife and I go for a ride about every other evening for fun.

I know most of you are aware of these facts, I am just still kind of excited about the car. I have had alot of old vehicles and have driven all of them alot. Just have never had one as good as this one.

Pete
Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #29
pat in Santa Cruz

its good to hear she's got a heart of gold and has you by the heartstrings.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #30
Kevin in NJ

My 68C has a flat firewall.

All the cars that should have been all indented firewall cars have a bunch of flat firewalls in production.

If the engine is done properly you would NOT need the float a motor as the engine would not vibrate much. (do not worry about that now, just be aware of the fact and why this happens)

If you go to my technical hints section (see link below) you will find my comments on crankshafts. There you will learn why rebuilt engines tend to vibrate way more than a factory car would have.

From a handling stand point you will want to take apart the springs, derust them, smooth them, and lube them. The car will be very bouncy without properly functioning shocks. So bouncy that 25 MPH would be the top end before the car will feel like it wants to jump off the road. Put on 4 great working shocks and the cars handles way better. This also assumes that everything is tight and done like factory.

The important thing is to keep the car running and do the fixes a little at a time. Cars in your car's condition are great cause you can have them running in top shape yet you have no worries cause some dirt and scratches to the paint do not matter.
I ran the crap out of a crappy looking 30 fordor. That was after I made the brakes work, totally rebuilt the front end, and put working shocks on the car.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
400A-64

I have seen a few RE-STRUCK firewalls. Left over flat firewalls that were re-struck to become an in dented firewall!! Somewhat rare!! I'm very glad that my two 31's are of the flat type...
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #32
Huckster Dave

I have a 160-A, Briggs body that has the flat firewall. Roll down rear quarters. Ford also built some of the Slant window bodies along with Briggs and Murray.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400A-64 View Post
I have seen a few RE-STRUCK firewalls. Left over flat firewalls that were re-struck to become an in dented firewall!! Somewhat rare!! I'm very glad that my two 31's are of the flat type...
Bruce Davis [email protected]
same here. I have 2 flat firewall 31s and at one time had a re-stamped firewall panel which I sold.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #34
Steam Engine Pete

Talking Re: 160 A or B

Just thought I would update everyone on my car in case anyone is interested. Since my last post I have done valve job on the A. I burned an exhaust valve on #1 cylinder. Idles great, runs great, and is still a blast to drive.

The unbelievable weather in ND this winter has allowed me to drive this car quite abit. 1600 miles since the middle of November.

Couldn't sleep this morning so left at 5:15 and went for a 90 mile round trip to nowhere. Got home at 8:10. My wife was still in bed and did not know I had gone for a 3 hour drive with no backup plan.

This afternoon my wife and I went for another 80 miles. I am starting to think I need to buy another A, They are incredibly dependable and fun to drive.

Pete
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #35
Brian SATX

Thanks for the update. Glad that you have confidence and are in enjoying the car!!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Engine Pete View Post
They are incredibly dependable and fun to drive.

Pete
You said it!!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #37
Ed Saniewski

Pete, I am up to three, it is addictive that's for sure. How far are you from the MARC meet in Wisconsin? If you want to see a lot of beautiful cars in one place, it's a must

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote