Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2024, 01:28 PM   #21
jeepguy1948

Default Re: Back end of a T-5

There were a few variations in the gear ratios depending on what engine it was behind (4 or 6 cylinder or Camaro etc.) You said that it is from a V6 truck so it will not have that low first gear but it will have a higher overdrive ratio. To be honest, I’m not sure that that is the best T5 for you but of course I don’t know that for certain. It is easy to determine the 1st gear ratio that is in your truck now and that would at least give you a base line, I doubt that you would want a 1st gear that is higher than what you have now. There should be a tag on the rear housing lower left bolt. You can easily find the charts online to tell you what you have. There are numbers on the case that would appear to be the same as tag numbers but don’t be fooled, they don’t. The case numbers mean nothing useful to us. The T 5 was used in many, many vehicles including Mustangs and Cameros. What makes the specific S-10 attractive is that the shifter is mounted near the middle of the transmission but every other application has the shifter at the very back of the transmission which puts the shifter under the seat on most vintage vehicles. FWIW the tail housings/shift towers can be swapped around so it is possible to use a T-5 from another application and swap on an S-10 tail housing. In addition to determining the 1st gear ratio in your truck you can figure out the T-5 ratios as well if the tag is missing. Maybe something here will help. I live in Edmonds and have been to Orcas many times. It’s a wonderful place and if you can earn a living on the island or are retired you are very fortunate indeed.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:57 PM   #22
jeepguy1948

I’m pretty sure I can see that the tag is indeed in place on the lower left corner. Any T-5 is plenty stout for your application, it’s all about gearing. I have a T-5 with Camaro V8 gears in it but it’s had an S-10 tail shaft/shift tower swapped on to it.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:47 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Rotating and counting in first gear shows a bit over 4 revolutions, thus the 4.03 . That's what I wanted really all along was a lower first. Then my 3 speed stock trans started making awful noises one day so time for a repair or swap. The T5 won out. Had yet another contractor stop by today to leave some lumber for an upcoming project that I agreed to last month and yikes, we have grandkids for the weekend and yardwork that would make your head spin. I oughta be ordering up one of them 'store bought' T-5 adapters' before I even start. Like I don't have enough to do already. Sheesh. Afternoon break over again so soon. And Jeepguy I'ved been here 45 years and self employed for 40 of them. And yes I made a pretty good living here, the money was marginal but the Living has indeed been great.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:47 PM   #24
jeepguy1948

Yes, for your application I think that the lower gear is best. Just for fun you should de-code that tag. You might learn something more!
Old 04-05-2024, 09:22 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
Yes, for your application I think that the lower gear is best. Just for fun you should de-code that tag. You might learn something more!
I haven't found a list with these kind of numbers. Just the 1542-###
Can you link me to a decoder? Do I need a secret decoder ring? You DID say that this was for fun. Maybe I should go down to the shop and clean it off and get a new picture....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tag.jpg (41.1 KB, 18 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:08 PM   #26
GB SISSON

This may be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tag2.jpg (51.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:50 PM   #27
jeepguy1948

The important number is 1352-234 it comes up as GM 1993 2.8L (which is the 4 Banger) strangely the ratio information is blank, I’ve never encountered that before. You want to google “T5 transmission BritishV8” site
Old 04-05-2024, 10:58 PM   #28
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
The important number is 1352-234 it comes up as GM 1993 2.8L (which is the 4 Banger) strangely the ratio information is blank, I’ve never encountered that before. You want to google “T5 transmission BritishV8” site

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:36 AM   #29
GB SISSON

Pete, now I can read that number! And jeepguy I had come across the British site a few times in my searches based on the seven digit number you mentioned and saw that empty space below. That's ok, it has a low gear I like and it's WC and gm bolt pattern and it rolls smoothly in all gears. I have great expectations.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:36 AM   #30
cadillac512

The 2.8 in '93 was actually a V6, not a 4 cyl...the 4 was a 2.5. The trans should work well for this application I think.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:36 PM   #31
jeepguy1948

Hmmm, there’s always something to get wrong but 2.8 is still a small motor. Regardless, I too think it’s the best unit for you. 4.03 was the lowest 1st gear ever available in a T-5 So you couldn’t have got a better unit. I will go out on a limb and say that it also probably had the lower of the (3) overdrive’s at .86 and that’s good too although I expect that won’t see much use on the island LoL. Now hurry up and get it installed so we can find out! Is that truck a closed driveline? I’m thinking that if it’s a tonner it might be open (which makes it easier to do the swap).
Old 04-06-2024, 06:56 PM   #32
GB SISSON

Yes, open driveline 1/2 ton 1947. It's a pickup that I sawed off at the windshield and modified a few years back. It's 6 1/2' pickup box ended up on the foyota. Got in a good 1/2 day on my 'A-dapt kit' and then it was time to build giant styrofoam gliders with the grandkids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagon at majestic.jpg (117.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-06-2024 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:05 PM   #33
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Yes, open driveline 1/2 ton 1947. It's a pickup that I sawed off at the windshield and modified a few years back. It's 6 1/2' pickup box ended up on the foyota. Got in a good 1/2 day on my 'A-dapt kit' and then it was time to build giant styrofoam gliders with the grandkids.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-07-2024, 07:39 AM   #34
GB SISSON

Once again Pete thanks for helping out with the large print version of the barn. Thought I'd post some pics of progress on the adapter plate. When I picked up this S 10 T5, the seller offered me the bellhousing, clutch assembly etc so I took it all. Good thing because the greasy old GM bellhousing gave me a good idea. What you see here is a rough out of the pilot hole to accept the bearing retainer on the chev version of the T5. This hole was sawn inside of the scribed line representing the S 10's bearing retainer. I them mounted this 1/2" plate onto the back side of the chev bellhousing. Using a follower router bit which is 1/2" dia with a 1/2" bearing on the bottom, I easily replicated the pilot hole needed to press over the machined outer flange of the T5's retainer. This is a very snug fit, in fact I had to put a small chamfer on the back side before I could wiggle and twist it home.
Now keep in mind this plate will be two pieces of 1/2" aluminum stacked upon each other. The next step after those pictured was to create a 2 3/4" hole in the same location on the second plate. This is to allow the gm bearing retainer to poke through, leaving a solid base to tap and bolt our FH Ford bearing retainer to. Since these photos were taken, I have through bolted the two plates with 8 bolts and a generous slather of JB Weld between them. They are now one plate with a nice recess in the back. I will leave it here although I got pretty far along yesterday but no photos yet. Once again I cannot stress enough how important it is to this method that out FH V8 bearing retainer is a snug fit over the top of the one of the S 10. The Ford style T5 and the GM style T5 have different OD on the throw out bearing sleeve area, but the difference is made up by the spiral grooves at the base. They both work very well at indexing the T5 to the hogshead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adapt 1.jpg (119.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Adapt 2.jpg (72.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Adapt 3.jpg (140.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Adapt 4.jpg (121.2 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-07-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:05 PM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thought I'd post some pics of progress on the adapter plate.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:55 PM   #36
flatford8

When you’re done..it’s gonna look like the one I bought…..I think you’re gonna like it!!…Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0533.jpg (46.8 KB, 66 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 04:28 PM   #37
TomT/Williamsburg

In my first T5 swap 1st gear was a 4.03/8 - I just shifted out of it sooner.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:48 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Sheesh, everything takes a lot longer than it used to. Can't read the numbers on my drill bits or taps, where did I set that flange down?, I bought coarse thread 7/16 bolts the other day and fine thread nuts. I did manage to bring a half cord of firewood up from the lower property without misplacing any, but now I need to sit down and rest. Maybe I'll just lay on the couch and read my book.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:42 PM   #39
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
When you’re done..it’s gonna look like the one I bought…..I think you’re gonna like it!!…Mark

Old 04-07-2024, 07:51 PM   #40
TomT/Williamsburg

Bottom line it wakes up a flathead let me tell you …..
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote