Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
metalshaper

Default Another Ford GTB Burma Jeep Restoration

Hello Everyone, I am deep into another restoration of a Ford GTB Burma Jeep. This is another Bomb Service Truck and since it is a 1943 model I figured this was the place to post. I am into the steering box right now and the worm and tube are in very tough shape. Like most things this has its own GTB part number which is GTB 3524. The steering wheel is also a GTB part number. The splined part that locates the steering wheel is gone, so I have to either find the same spline and weld it on or make a new shaft. Hoping to not start from scratch and was wondering if anyone out there knows if another shaft would work. Thread is 7/8"-20 if that helps. I think I can save the worm if I have to, just need the shaft or a piece of another to splice in. Anybody with any ideas, info, or a shaft please let me know. Thank you in advance,
Brian
metalshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Another Ford GTB Burma Jeep Restoration

If you have restored one of these to some extent then you likely know them better than most folks the frequent this forum. Ford was big into using parts between different types of trucks during war time and peace time. If it is a Gemmer design, it may use many of the parts from other applications but the shaft will likely be different.

External splines can be easily milled but internal splines are usually broached. At least you may have a better idea about what the parts are supposed to look like than most of us. I would imagine you have the TMs for these old vehicles. I see them around now and then but parts are definitely not easy to source other than from military collectors. Ford made a lot more CMP & G8T trucks than bomb loaders.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
cas3

i may have one. let me look later today
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
metalshaper

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I have restored a few GTB's and many other military and Jeep vehicles. I have a complete restoration shop and can build anther shaft if necessary but was hoping to find something to save a bunch of time on the milling machine. Please let me know if you find anything usable. Many thanks,
Brian
Old 04-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
cas3

does it look like this? i looked a bit for a part #, and couldnt find one. its 44 1/2" total length. where to look for a number?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1123.jpg (88.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1124.jpg (72.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #6
Newc

Hi; there must be a local MVPA chapter. Wehave two in Oregon and maybe two or three in Washington. Also the magazine Supply line has all the big name suppliers for Mil spec parts. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
metalshaper

Cas3, there were not any numbers on the one I am rebuilding either. Here is what I can tell you. The sector shaft is 1.373" in diameter. There is a round plate on the bottom to protect the horn wire going up thru the shaft. The thread that holds the wheel on is 7/8-20. I will try to get some photos up later today if I can figure out how to post them. Any of what I described sound like what you have there? The length you said is correct. The original part number for the entire box and shaft, less the steering wheel is GTB 3503.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
metalshaper

Newc, thanks for the comment. Yes I am familiar with the military clubs and know just about every supplier out there. I have been restoring military and Willys Jeep vehicles for many years and as I said in an earlier post I have a complete restoration shop and specialize on sheetmetal fabrication and building complete bodies and panels. The trouble with these GTB's is not many were made, and Ford made a lot of their own parts for these vehicles. Many parts are specific to this vehicle only and nothing else interchanges. When the part number starts with GTB it is a very specific part, like this steering box.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
ABento

I'll venture a guess that you've talked to John at Mid west Military.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
cas3

yeah, those were not very good photos, i can take some more. i'm sure thats what its for as i had two, one was parted out, still have both axles i believe too. john at midwest is where the stuff came from many years ago.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
metalshaper

cas3, yes it does look correct after I compared your photos to my unit torn apart on the bench. What do you want for the steering assembly? Do you have any other GTB parts? I am always on the lookout for little bits and pieces. Talked to a lot of guys who have scrapped large amounts of NOS GTB parts due to lack of sales. My GTB chassis is restored, and everything has been rebuilt, engine, transmission, transfer case, pto, winch, front and rear axle, etc..... just about ready to install engine and it sure would be nice to have the steering gear in there as well. let me know.

Brian
Old 04-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
cas3

some more, 1 3/8 sector shaft, steering nut size correct, if you like it, send me a pm and we can do business, skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1125.jpg (85.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1126.jpg (58.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.jpg (96.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Capn John

You may also want to try ewillys.com for help.
They are GREAT!!!!
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
metalshaper

thanks, I am very familiar with ewillys. if you go on the site and look under videos you will find me. I am Brian, and you can see some of my videos of a CJ3A restoration I am doing.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
rotorwrench

If I'm not mistaken, it sure looks like some OD green on that unit after the crud was partly removed. The box itself looks like a truck type Gemmer box but the shaft and the lower cap are different. There may be some interchangeability with bearings/ bushings and maybe the worm & sector roller. That shaft is all in it's own category. The steering wheel would have to be compared to a big Ford truck of the late prewar or early post war to see if any have that type spline.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #16
cas3

rotorwrench, yes lots of od green still on it. yes, i agree there may be some common ford parts involved, but the GTB is sort of "semi" cabover, so i would guess the angle of the mount, and length of the shaft would be unique to this app. brian has contacted me and this one may be on its way to CT. soon!