Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Bill in NJ

Unhappy Cuting holes for body welt question

What tool do I need to make the holes in the body welt ? I bought some cheap ones and guess what there cheap and do not work. Any ideas or brand of tool I should use ??
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Randy in Illinois

Default Re: Cuting holes for body welt question

I use a bolt of the same diameter, clamped with a vise grip, and heat it up with a propane torch and burn a nice hole through it. works great.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Special Coupe Frank

If you're speaking of the flat webbing that goes along the frame, I used a gasket-punch from a set that I have... believe I made the holes 7/16" or 1/2" so that I wouldn't have to fight the bolts through the webbing. Used a block of scrap hard-wood as a back-up.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
What tool do I need to make the holes in the body welt ? I bought some cheap ones and guess what there cheap and do not work. Any ideas or brand of tool I should use ??
When using even a good hole punch you want something under the webbing that is firm but will still allow the punch to cut into without damage to the punch. I often use a block of lead but the end grain of a cut off board is excellent to place below the webbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Illinois View Post
I use a bolt of the same diameter, clamped with a vise grip, and heat it up with a propane torch and burn a nice hole through it. works great.
I can't imagine that working as desired unless you are using nylon webbing like seat belts and tow straps. Natural fibers like that in frame webbing tend to just catch fire.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
jrelliott

Oak 4X4 makes a good backer for the punch. My Dad gave me a set of gasket punches (Made in USA) that has to be at least 65+ years old that he used when he had a auto repair garage after WWII. Cut the holes without any problems.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Bill in NJ

Thanks for the advice so far. I have some old OSBORNE arch punches. Any ideas on how to sharpen them ?? Thanks for the info
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Roadster62

Spin then on a grind stone. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. I have some old OSBORNE arch punches. Any ideas on how to sharpen them ?? Thanks for the info
Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Bill in NJ

OK so I am a little bit pisxxed of so I decide to go to the gym to relieve my stress levels. Start thinking about my problem and the one answer about using the end grain of a board. Knowing this isn't going to solve my problem I get home and get the new punches out of the trash and try hitting in on the end grain of the wood and it cuts cleanly the first time . Problem solved
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Bill in NJ

Thanks Marco Tahtaras for solving my problem !! Also thank the others for their suggestions. What a great site we have here !!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
wrndln

I have found a good way to punch holes in frame webbing and other material and it is cheap. Just buy a 3" or 4" piece of iron pipe with the inside diameter the size you want the hole to be and sharpen one end on a bench grinder. After the hole is marked on the material, using a hammer and the sharpened pipe, place the material on the end grain of a short piece of 2x4 and hit the pipe with the hammer. The end grain allows the pipe to go through the material into the 2x4 easily. I have punched many holes this way and it works great. I have several sizes of sharpened pipes to punch different size holes.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
DaveB

For a nice big hole ... sharpen an old wrist pin out of a piston. Sharpen very slowly to avoid overheating and lose the temper. These are very hard and will last for years. Also use an old mud flap or heavy reinforced rubber belt to punch the holes. It will last much longer than lead or wood.
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Charles Reese

i laid the webbing on the frame, placed the ball of a small ball peen hammer on the webbing over the hole in question .. coupla raps on the hammer face with another hammer and viola ... nice clean hole where desired
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
partridgekelley

I have used an empty bullit cartridge , makes a nice neat hole. Either in a drill or as a punch with a block of hard wood under it. Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote