Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
huddy

Default Radiator fit?

Fit is what I am ready to throw, actually. My 30 coupe radiator is not mounted level - it looks slightly tipped to one side. Also the shell doesn't fit quite right - previous owner drilled new holes on the lower mounting tangs, about 1/2" forward of the original, apparently because the shell won't fit tight against the lower half of the radiator.

I'm wondering if this is a repop radiator or if it's the wrong year, or perhaps it was rebuilt that way. It looks old, but I know that's not a reliable indicator. Wondering what I can do about it short of replacement.

Thanks...
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
huddy

Default Re: Radiator fit?

Here's a photo where you can see how the radiator is not mounted straight:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.6 KB, 127 views)
huddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Looks to me that the bumper is crooked?? Rad looks OK JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
Ditto! With the bumper so off kilter how can you tell? Radiator looks fine in the photo.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Frame out of wack?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
huddy

Thank you, all. Agree bumper is probably not straight, possibly frame twisted, but still don't understand why radiator shell doesn't fit over radiator. Radiator may not be installed right or may be incorrect depth. Top of shell fits, bottom does not. Sign me..

..Confused in NY
Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If the frame is twisted the radiator won't sit right on the cross member. I could be the cause of all your problems,
Old 10-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

More pictures needed of the shell (close up), top and bottom. How does the hood fit at the radiator and at the cowl?? Does the door belt line line up??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
DITTO, Paul
But who am I to say, my right leg is shorter than my "good" leg, so, to me, straight things look krookedy & krookedy things look straight
Folks are ALWAYS askin' me if their tail light stands are level??? Are thy "FUNNIN" me, or should I get TICKED OFF?? Bill W. (confused)
(Huddy, loosen the 4 bolts that hold the bumper brackets to the frame, jack up the bumper until level & tighten the bolts, that works 90% of the time.)
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
DITTO, Paul
But who am I to say, my right leg is shorter than my "good" leg, so, to me, straight things look krookedy & krookedy things look straight
Folks are ALWAYS askin' me if their tail light stands are level??? Are thy "FUNNIN" me, or should I get TICKED OFF?? Bill W. (confused)
(Huddy, loosen the 4 bolts that hold the bumper brackets to the frame, jack up the bumper until level & tighten the bolts, that works 90% of the time.)

the bumper brackets to frame are not adjustable. either the brackets are bent or the frame horn is ,maybe both
just went thru this on lucy with uneven brackets one was bent.. the jobbers sell good replacements

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

My guess is that the front spring is sagged on the drivers side, this is common. The drivers side has the most weight on it usually. The rear spring could also be sagged. I installed new repro front spring in the coupe and the sedan and it leveled them up nicely. A sagging front spring can sometimes set up a shimmy in the front end.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
John Duden

Quote:
DITTO, Paul
YOU HAVENT BEEN PULLIN ANY LEGS LATELY HAVE YOU UNKEL BILL!? I know your a jokester!!!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
huddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
My guess is that the front spring is sagged on the drivers side, this is common. The drivers side has the most weight on it usually. The rear spring could also be sagged. I installed new repro front spring in the coupe and the sedan and it leveled them up nicely. A sagging front spring can sometimes set up a shimmy in the front end.
Well, if that's the case it'll have to wait until next year. Probably I've got 2 weeks of driving before it gets too nasty here and I'd like to enjoy it some. (It drives fine, BTW).

Ed
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

It won't hurt to drive it just like it is. I have heard that some have turned the spring around and solved the problem. I've heard of and tried loosening all four U bolt nuts and tightening the high side down first and more than the low side with varying success. I've cold rearched springs with success for a short time before it resagged. Its fairly common for unrestored original cars to lean slightly to the drivers side
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

The reason I said "jack it level" is because I've seen old Model A's where the bumper bracket to frame bolts have run for years, slightly loose, & wallowed out the frame holes, thus allowing some adjustment.
My Buddy, Ted, bought a '29 Coupe with an even MORE krookedy bumper & it "adjusted" nicely! I don't just say "OFF THE WALL STUFF" to hear my head rattle! I KNOW the're not meant to be "adjusted"! Some cars DO have "funny" holes so they can be adjusted. I got half of my "LARNIN", WURKING IN A WRECKING YARD! In the U.K, they call them "BREAKING YARDS" They also call a SEMI, an Articulating Lorrie. Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRECKER.jpg (102.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg November_1935JUNK YARD__Auto_junkyard_near_Easton,_Pennsylvania.JPG (39.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
mass A man

To answer your question about the bad fit of the shell on the rad. core, I've seen this happen with old, replacement cores where the top tank is too tall or some other oddball core is just not right up to Ford's original prints. It's usually one tank or the other is not right and hitting the shell. I've got one sitting right here in my barn. I hate to scrap it, but I don't know what else it's good for.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
huddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass A man View Post
To answer your question about the bad fit of the shell on the rad. core, I've seen this happen with old, replacement cores where the top tank is too tall or some other oddball core is just not right up to Ford's original prints. It's usually one tank or the other is not right and hitting the shell. I've got one sitting right here in my barn. I hate to scrap it, but I don't know what else it's good for.
I bet that's exactly what I have. Maybe in the spring I'll get a new radiator from one of the "good" builders. (After I flush out the block a few times).
Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
huddy

Quote:
The reason I said "jack it level" is because I've seen old Model A's where the bumper bracket to frame bolts have run for years, slightly loose, & wallowed out the frame holes, thus allowing some adjustment.
My Buddy, Ted, bought a '29 Coupe with an even MORE krookedy bumper & it "adjusted" nicely! I don't just say "OFF THE WALL STUFF" to hear my head rattle! I KNOW the're not meant to be "adjusted"! Some cars DO have "funny" holes so they can be adjusted. I got half of my "LARNIN", WURKING IN A WRECKING YARD! In the U.K, they call them "BREAKING YARDS" They also call a SEMI, an Articulating Lorrie. Bill W.
I'll try that. I'm familiar with stuff that "adjusts" by having the '41 Hudson, which has a lot of those adjustable "features.". It's been a NY car all its life, so I'm also familiar with rust. Can't do anything on the frame without a torch, PB Blaster, and an impact gun.