Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
wrndln

Default Re: 28 CCPU rearmost body bolts

Pooch,
Yes, I believe that the hole you marked with the red arrow is the one that must have been drilled in place (like Dan's post above indicated from Pluck's info) when a CCPU was installed on a frame. The next question - what is the slightly smaller hole just to the left of the red arrow? The yellow arrows are the only holes in the three frame I have checked. I have an Aug 28 roadster frame still to check, but I am pretty sure it will be like the other three. None have the smaller hole to the left of the red arrow shown in your third picture. Now I am pretty sure the frame on my 29 CCPU was replaced in that it does not have the hole you have marked in red (hole #6).
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I am with all of you by the meaning of "Drilled in Place"...I think this statement means that the holes were "drilled in place" as the frames came down the assembly line just before the addition of the CCPU body. Would this be true with the OCPU body also?

About 15 years ago I restored a early 1930 CCPU for a guy and had to use another frame. Yes, we had to "drill in place" the holes for the rear body bolts.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
wrndln

I believe an OCPU used a different location for the rear body bolt. I can't remember where I saw that an OCPU rear bolt was different than a CCPU, so maybe I am wrong (it wouldn't be the first time). I think the OCPU may use bolt #5 in Les Andrew's Mechanics Handbook (same as a roadster and phaeton). This is the hole in the frame just in the front of the rear runningboard bracket. Since an OCPU uses the same doors as other open cars, I suspect the cab rear mounting bolt was the same as they used.
Rusty Nelson
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Partain View Post
Here are some more clues from one of Pluck's documents - http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/frame/...20assembly.pdf

APRIL 20, 1928: (FRAME SIDE MEMBER, RIGHT, A-5015-B AND LEFT, A-5016-B):
•Added one 1/2 inch diameter hole and 6-9/32 inches dimension locating same in upper face at rear to be drilled in place for Closed Cab.
•Also added one 1/2 inch diameter hole in upper face at rear located by changing — 20-25/32 inches dimension to 8-31/32 inches and 11-13/16 inches dimensions (REL. #9346)

APRIL 20, 1928: (THIS NEEDS TO BE EXPANDED ON...DO NOT UNDERSTAND! SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFO) (FRAME ASSEMBLY, A-5005-B):
•Added two holes located by 16-3/4". 33-1/2" and 6-1/4" inch dimensions to be drilled in place for Closed Cab only.
•Added two holes located by 17", 34" and 8-15/16" inch dimensions for pickup only (REL. #8346)

"Drilled in Place" may be the best clues about those holes.

Thanks Pluck!

-DAN
I don't have the JS book.

Any chance of explaining a bit from what point of chassis are these dimensions are taken from.... another hole or the end of chassis or a rivet?

(— 20-25/32 inches dimension to 8-31/32 inches and 11-13/16 inches dimensions ) I don't understand this at all.

Rusty, I am sure those other 2 holes in my pic are add ons, they are about 1/4 inch out to each other, so are not original.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I don't have the JS book.

Any chance of explaining a bit from what point of chassis are these dimensions are taken from.... another hole or the end of chassis or a rivet?

(— 20-25/32 inches dimension to 8-31/32 inches and 11-13/16 inches dimensions ) I don't understand this at all.

Rusty, I am sure those other 2 holes in my pic are add ons, they are about 1/4 inch out to each other, so are not original.
That is FORD technical talk...wish I understood it...that was what was written in the Part Releases...there is a lot like that...I think one would have to refer to the Part Drawings to decipher things as such.

Pluck
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #26
Ed Saniewski

I also agree with the thought that the frame was drilled in place. This was probably the reason some dealers had to add wood between the cab and rear box to stop the vibration. I would think if the frame was pre-drilled, there would have been more space between the parts.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
pooch

Where and what size was the wood that went between the box and cab?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Where and what size was the wood that went between the box and cab?
I do not believe that originally there was wood between the cab and bed...at least not off the assembly line.

Pluck
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
Ed Saniewski

I wish I could find the post where this was discussed before, the wood is just thick enough to stop the vibration of the back wall of the cab against the bed. I used two pieces of thin oak and used wood screws through the bed to hold them in place. The wood was installed by the dealers to stop the noise, not every pick up needed it.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I do not believe that originally there was wood between the cab and bed...at least not off the assembly line.

Pluck
This is a great thread...neat information!

Steve,
I think there could have been wood between the cab and the bed...here's
the thread on that........Pickup Bed (early) ( 1 2 view all)
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
wrndln

Dudley,
I checked the two beds I have. One has the 4 holes mentioned in the post you provided a link to above (the one I bought that was used as a trailer) and one didn't have any holes. I think, like some other people, the holes were probably drilled after the trucks were assembled if a customer complained about rattling. I can't see why the wood wouldn't squeak if it touched the back of the cab. It is true, there isn't much clearance between the cab and bed.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 04-03-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
Bob C

If the squeak was a problem you think there would be something in
the Service Letters about it.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote