Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #2281
adileo

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Andy, the Columbia should make the LZ even more fun to drive...
Vic I was thinking back to to the ride up to Big Daddy's museum, cruising @ 65 + mph What a great ride. One day, I hope we repeat in the Zef.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #2282
Vic Piano

Andy, that sounds like a plan!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #2283
Vic Piano

A question for those of you that have installed Columbia rears. I have a complete Columbia rear, including the torque tube and wishbones (they are not assembled as a unit). do you think it would be easier to completely remove the OEM rear, etc. and assemble the Columbia for installation, or should we just remove the OEM rear axle and install the Columbia equipped rear? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #2284
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
A question for those of you that have installed Columbia rears. I have a complete Columbia rear, including the torque tube and wishbones (they are not assembled as a unit). do you think it would be easier to completely remove the OEM rear, etc. and assemble the Columbia for installation, or should we just remove the OEM rear axle and install the Columbia equipped rear? Thanks.
I think the answer is fairly simple, once you think about how you'd R&R the drive shaft from the pinion..........(DRUM ROLL).....with the torque tube still in place. Besides that, trying to support the driveshaft, torque tube and radius rods underneath that thing while you support the car with jack stands while you muscle the rear end(s) out and in.......makes way more sense to R&R the old and new as a UNIT on the ground, out in the open. But as usual, what do I know? Good luck! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #2285
Ken/Alabama

Vic I've always done it as a complete unit. But I also did a complete rebuild . To replace the banjo gasket on the Columbia side will be a shot in the dark as far a getting the preload correct on the carrier bearings doing it under the car. Guess you could mic the old gasket and get close.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #2286
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ken & DD, we already rebuilt the Columbia, we did mic the old banjo gasket and installed a new one the same thickness. I was leaning toward assembling the Columbia with the torque tube, etc. as a unit (I've swapped out rears that way before) but, just thought I'd ask, to see what others have done. We'll have the car up on the lift to make the job easier.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #2287
V8COOPMAN

Unlike Ken's summation, I gathered from your initial question that you's guys had already assembled the entire Columbia AXLE assembly, minus the T-tube, driveshaft and radius rods. What I was implying was that you almost HAVE TO remove the ENTIRE assembly (along with TT, D-SHAFT and R-rods) as a unit, because I don't see how it would otherwise be possible to move the torque tube far enough FORWARD (with the old rear axle assembly still in place) to gain access to remove the pin holding the driveshaft coupling solid with the pinion splines. All this in addition to ease of MOVING the old axle down from the rack, and then getting the NEW axle assembly up into place on the rack (and under the car) before aligning and re-assembly could begin. I'm just saying that it's not realistic to consider even attempting this swap without R&R-ing both rear end assemblies as complete units. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #2288
Vic Piano

I agree with you about removing as a unit, and replacing as a unit, from the standpoint of ease (if you can even use a word like 'ease' when referring to anything relating to Ford torque tube rear ends...) We will most likely assemble the Columbia as a unit with the torque tube, etc. before we remove the OEM unit. As always, it should be fun.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #2289
adileo

Hey Vic how's your rear
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #2290
Vic Piano

My rear is doing fine, as is the Columbia... I was cleaning up the radius rods that came with the Columbia (the radius rods and torque tube, drive shaft, backing plates, etc. were all disassembled) I noticed a part number on one of the rods, it was a 99A number, that is a '39 Mercury number prefix. I measured the rods and mocked them up to see if they were correct... they fit... There are several parts on the '39 LZ that have '39 Mercury part numbers... Ya do learn something new everyday when messin' with Flatheads...
Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #2291
Vic Piano

I 've had several inquiries with respect to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA in October and the Annual Barner's Bash in Florida, 2017 dates TBA. The short answer to both is yes. We are planning to attend the Moonshine Festival however, we have not scheduled a cruise for the Friday of the event as yet. It is still early for scheduling the 2017 Barner's Bash but we are also planning on doin' it again. If you are interested in attending either, or both events, keep checking here and on the Cigar City Flatheads pages on FaceBook for information. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #2292
Vic Piano

Okay, it's official, the Cigar City Flatheads will be cruisin' up to Dawsonville, GA to attend the Moonshine Festival the weekend of October 21st to the 23'rd. If any of you, that are going to the event, would like to suggest a tour for us to take on Friday, the 21st, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #2293
Vic Piano

We are thinking about doing a driving tour on Friday, the 21st of October, at the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA. If any of you are planning to attend, and would like to get together for a cruise with the Cigar City Flatheads, please let us know by posting here. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #2294
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
We are thinking about doing a driving tour on Friday, the 21st of October, at the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA. If any of you are planning to attend, and would like to get together for a cruise with the Cigar City Flatheads, please let us know by posting here. Thanks.
You all have fun at the 'shine festival! Just darn, this will be the second, maybe third year in a row that I have missed that, and I have always enjoyed doing the CCFH tour and the MS show as well. However, it looks like I will be ~ 3k miles from Dawsonville on those dates.

I am up for coming down to FL in late February to early March in 2017 for the Bash though.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #2295
Vic Piano

John, too bad you can't make it, we'll miss you but, we'll be looking for you at the next Cigar City Flatheads Florida "Barner's Bash". We'll be looking at dates for the "Bash" once we get back from the Moonshine Festival. Vic
Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #2296
Rustedjunk

Vic, my heart pounds every time I see your 39 Convertible Sedan. I've wanted one since I was 10. Hope to get one for my 40th birthday.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #2297
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedjunk View Post
Vic, my heart pounds every time I see your 39 Convertible Sedan. I've wanted one since I was 10. Hope to get one for my 40th birthday.
Thanks, I appreciate that. My '39 CS found me, I wasn't looking for one but, some things are too good to pass up. I've had a love/hate relationship with my '39 CS since she followed me home in 1990 (I was 41 at that time). I hope you find one in your garage on your 40th Birthday.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #2298
VeryTangled

Quote:
John, too bad you can't make it, we'll miss you but, we'll be looking for you at the next Cigar City Flatheads Florida "Barner's Bash". We'll be looking at dates for the "Bash" once we get back from the Moonshine Festival. Vic
Hi Everyone, Vic, I had to put in for leave for Spring semester this week so couldn't plan ahead to visit Ocala. BUT, I'm off from March 12 thru 19 for spring recess. I'd have to be back at work 8am the 20th.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #2299
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone, Vic, I had to put in for leave for Spring semester this week so couldn't plan ahead to visit Ocala. BUT, I'm off from March 12 thru 19 for spring recess. I'd have to be back at work 8am the 20th.
Hi Jeff, We'll be looking at dates for the Florida "Barner's Bash" after the Moonshine Festival is over. We will endeavor to select a weekend that will accommodate the most people we can. that said, I'd love to see you at the event. Vic

Last edited by Vic Piano; 09-13-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #2300
Vic Piano

It's lookin' like the Cigar City Flatheads will be well represented at the Moonshine Festival this year. We are looking forward to seeing old friends and, as always, making new friends at the event. If you are planning to attend, please let us know.