Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Tudortomnz

Default Unrestored original. Worth more?

I've come across a solid, unrestored 1930 Town Sedan, basically original, has not been on the road for about 15yrs. It has 52,900 miles from new, original mohair interior, very good body & fenders. Not running at present.
Here, as in the US , the old car market is depressed but the guy still wants good money for it. I have always wanted an 'as is' original Model A Sedan. Do similar good unrestored cars in the US sell for slightly more than one with an older restoration?. Basically, Im trying to decide whether to up my offer or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1901.jpg (65.4 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1903.jpg (69.3 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1902.jpg (87.9 KB, 249 views)
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Unrestored original. Worth more?

I think some photos of the overall vehicle outside would help with opinions. How badly deformed are the seats from having all that crap stored on them? As a general rule a good untouched car is worth more than a "restored"one in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I sure like to see the unrestored ones more than the restored cars. As far as value, I'm not sure which is really worth more. I know I'd much rather buy the unrestored one and I'd likely pay more for it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Steve Wastler

Looks like the gas tank and dash rail are in primer? It's really hard to determine if an 80 plus year old car mileage shown on the speedo is actually correct.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

It seems to me that Automobiles are the only antique that increases in value when restored. I remember seeing an Antique Roadshow episode where a woman told the apprasier that she spend about 15 hours polishing a lamp. The appraiser told her she just lowered the worth of the lamp by $4000.00 by doing so.

I too like to see originals.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

An unrestored car has a wide appeal.

They draw a lot of attention at any show, even a crappy looking original, more attention then the restored cars.

You costs to own are low since you are not doing body and interior work. You just have the costs of making the car run and drive properly.

So a little more up front can translate to a lot less down the road in costs. The resale is always pretty good on a carefully managed original car that drives like new.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Steve Wastler

I have been busting at the seams, I have to say, I bought a true super low mile survivor a month ago and am awaiting its transport to its new home. This is the first I have spoke about it, I still can't believe it is mine, I guess that is why I haven't posted pictures of it yet. All I will say is watch for some pictures sometime soon, its a very special car, i am really proud to be the next caretaker.......
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Deluxe Delivery

As a self employed person, I can honestly say I have to hustle every day to generate enough $ to survive here in 2012. And my $ is as dear to me as the next guy. But I have always used the rule...will I ever find more dollars???the answer is always yes, the world is full of them. Then I ask...will I ever find another __________( insert item here) ??? It usually comes down to parting with the cash and then finding a way to make it back ! This has worked for me all my life and has allowed me to accumulate stuff other guys are amazed at. As far as an original A goes....there just CAN'T be that many left. I'd make a slightly lower offer than he wants so he knows you're serious...and let him think it over. If he doesn't want to bargain and you want the car...bite the bullet and go for it ! I've yet to regret what I've bought...but tons of stuff I didn't ! Life is short.
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
azmodela
BANNED

This car can't be original, the steering wheel is on the wrong side!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
All I will say is watch for some pictures sometime soon, its a very special car, i am really proud to be the next caretaker.......
Unrestored originals preserved by caretakers; my favorite!

Look forward to the photos, Steve.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Steve Wastler

Deluxe Delivery makes very valid points, I too am self employed and it is tough to not quite know when the next check will be in the mailbox. I was in an accident 5/23/2010 and have had a splitting headache every day since, they can't tell me what is wrong, so treatment has been throwing darts to see if they stick, none has to date, has really shown me life is way too short....
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Keith True

I don't know about the attitude of the A people where you are,but here,for the most part the economy has no bearing on setting the prices.As a group,A owners own A's because we are cheap.The car is relatively cheap to buy,parts too,lots of used stuff around,so somebody can own a reliable easy to fix antique without being rich.I've had guys say to me,in this economy I should be able to buy an A at the right price.Maybe if you're lucky.Being cheap most A owners are good stewards of their money and investments,and the price is the price.If the price is down,we're gonna wait 5 or 10 years for it to come back up.Not like the street rod and muscle car market where some sellers need to unload the car to pay for groceries.I have a straight unrestored standard roadster I don't use much.I have another open car so I've been thinking about selling,or trading it off.I put a price on it,and that is it.No offers,just pictures of dead presidents,and,I really would much rather trade than sell outright.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Steve Wastler

"Unrestored originals preserved by caretakers; my favorite!"

Mine too!! Can't wait to share....
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Frank Miller

When did we go from being a nice car to restore to just make it roadworthy? I agree that a nice unrestored car is preferable. I guess you just need to figure out what the car is worth to you? There are not a lot of originals for sale to compare prices so that makes it difficult. With the car not running you have no idea what you are buying mechanically and need to factor in a complete chassis rebuild. Just see this as your cost for enjoying the car and do not look for $ to get back because that does not usually happen. I would check to make sure the engine has the correct serial #. If it cannot be confirmed as long as it is close in production with the car it may likely be the original one. Good luck with your find. If he does not decide to sell it for what you want to pay don't lose sleep. At least you are not the one that overpaid.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Gumpy

its a matter of personal preference whether restored or not...I like unrestored cars that are mechanically squared away.....I 've had cars with new paint and come out of a resturant with a scuff on the side door where it was parked...im not a show car person im a drive um person...i dont need someone all day long tellling me how good my car looks!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
ford31

my 31 pickup with 35000 miles when I bought it I think 7 years ago body was great,bed rough,rear fenders not there,was a sheriff truck,previous owner rebuilt chassi,has new bed,has fiberglass rear fenders still looking for metal(wide bed)just because low miles doesn't mean there great other than the bed basic no body work just painted,but a bunch was spent on chassi on this low miles truck
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

That is a tough call for sure. Comparing it to "restored" pricing leaves it wide open. Here that could be anywhere between 10-20k excluding the exceptional cars on the high end and those on the low end with bad enough body wood that the doors drop when opened.

From those three pics it appears the car has been repainted in some unusual color. Even a proper color considerably detracts from the value as "original".
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
hardtimes

Tom,
I say it all depends. Depends on originality of the car ,as they are only 'original' once! If I found a truely original Model A Ford Coupe (with or without paint ) that ran good and had original equipment throughout , with an unrusted body...I wouldn't care what the mileage is/was as long as that other criteria was satisfied. Think..if it doesn't run right, stop right and look right...you are going to have to do whatever it takes to make it right for driving...even if only in parades. That work would , IMO, make it not 'original' no more. Now how does your prospective purchase fit in ?
Take a 'restored' car (hmm...what's restored anyway?) and someone else has spent countless hours/dollars/expertise, etc ...which they will most usually never recoup. That's in buyers favor...money wise and enjoyment wise. Unfortunately, learning at times is costly and buyers remorse comes to mind. You are on the right track by asking here. Hope you make a good decision for you,eh !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
rickmass

Like I alway say you are the only one you have to please,Good luck Rickmass Life is to short
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
Tudortomnz

Thanks for all the replies. All good advice & which I probably really knew as well.
Yes,just because it has low mileage does not mean it is a great original car, but this one is quite special. We are running out of good Model A's down here & guys are now importing cars from the US to fill the gap . It has been repainted in the '50's over the original black, not a great colour as is, but it has preserved it.
I actually photographed it in 1975 when it was still owned by the original familly in a farming town.
Like some of you, I'm also self employed & do not have unlimited funds ; but, we do not live forever.
Tom

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 02-09-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Thanks for all the replies. All good advice & which I probably knew as well.
Yes,just because it has low mileage does not mean it is a great original car, but this one is quite special. We are running out of good Model A's down here & guys are now importing cars from the US to fill the gap . It has been repainted in the '50's over the original black, not a great colour as is, but it has preserved it.
I actually photographed it in 1975 when it was still owned by the original familly in a farming town.
Tom
Tom,
Are you buds with quickchange Derek ? If so, I'd use his input/advice as he seems to be a very knowledgable 'mate' regarding Model As ,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
peters180a/170b

I can only say i paid under $3,000.00 for a unrestored 1930 Briggs fordor standard[29,000 miles] that its body is solid , mostly everything is there less the interior ..The 29,000 miles shows up on the door jam [GULF Gas station ] with the mileage when serviced from 1962. and the frame is in super shape.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
Pilotdave

My 2c for what they are worth: Life is short. Opportunities to do things that bring us true happiness come along infrequently. If this car is one of those opportunities in your life, why not put THAT ahead of the dollars in your bank account?
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
JTW

They are only original ONCE, a good one in a cared for but used, preserved condition is worth alot more than an older pretty well done car but not as much as a professional points car. Then again it depends on the rarity of the model - a real scarce one in excellent original condition would go through the roof, where as a pro points car probably has a ceiling. This is an opinion for discussion not a fact.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #25
columbiA

Unless you know the history of the car,you dont know how many times the speedo has been around.About 25 years ago or so,there was a photo of a 30 coupe that had traveled over 600,000 miles by the original owner on his job of traveling to the farms all over Kansas.He always serviced it himself & it had gone thru 6 engines & the car still looked in decent condition. The photo was in the Restorer magazine.Who says that stock A,s are not reliable?
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Tudortomnz

Thanks again for all the comments. I've just been talking again with the owner. He got it from the familly that purchased it new. It has all the hallmarks of a low mileage car ; unworn steering wheel ; unworn pedals [ RHD's have ribbed ,round pedals] aged but not worn original mohair interior;paint reminants on the engine;all the items that usually disappear after many owners ; great fitting & solid doors & very few dings on the fender/ mudguards.
We are still under negotiation.