Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Fastenal shipping & handling costs

I just picked up some slotted fasteners from the local Fastenal store. Fastenal did have to ship the fasteners from their warehouse or warehouses, but I am pretty sure they were shipping stuff to stores anyway. Today, I was stunned by the absorbent fee they made me pay - $6.91 for a little less than $13 of fasteners. That is over half the cost of the fasteners! I can't find the slotted fasteners at my local ACE hardware or to the stores that carry fasteners locally. I can't understand why they are charging this high fee, other than to try to really enhance their profit. I just wanted to warn or alert other Fordbarners to the high handling fees Fastenal charges if they order fasteners from them. The receipt is pasted in below.
Rusty Nelson
Lakeville, MN

Last edited by wrndln; 12-04-2014 at 08:27 AM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Fastenal shipping & handling costs

Rusty, my take on this is Fastenal is trying to be just like Grainger, ...in that they both want to focus on servicing Commercial/Industrial accounts only. I have an account with Fastenal where we purchase items that does not make sense to mail-order, but in the case of many items, it can be purchased cheaper directly from the mfg. or a larger distribution center and then mailed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
machine girl

had the same problem, you need to be sure to tell them send your stuff with a stocking order, not a special order( and this does not always work)
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
mshmodela

I ordered a boat load of cotter pins from Fastenal last spring (delivered to my home so yeah I had to pay for that.. Happy with the service etc.) It's somewhat standard now a days for special orders retail stores to change shipping unless there is some break on it --Walmart.com charges shipping to your local store...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
desotoguy

Check this site, fast and reasonable shipping.
www.mcmaster.com/
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
mhsprecher

In the overall scheme of things, I don't think that is bad. I have had items shipped where the cost of shipping is higher than the cost of the item.

It is hard to ship any merchandise item for less than $3. That does not include the cost of the package and the labor to get it ready. I sell lots of stuff on eBay and shipping is the greatest variable. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I lose a little money and sometimes I make a little.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
wrndln

Brent,
I think you are right. Fastenal appears to not care if individuals buy from them. I suspect by very large majority of its sales comes form commercial customers. I have had pretty good luck with Bolt Depot. However, I have to pay shipping, which is about the same as the Fastenal shipping and handling, but it takes a little longer to get the items for the east coast.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
TinCup

There are wholesale and retail fees from UPS and FedEx. A vendor can choose to charge retail fees and then no charges for packing or they can charge wholesale and charge for packing. Trust me when I say that UPS and Fed Ex are doing OK.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I try to avoid surprises. I always ask at the time of purchase what shipping and handling charges will apply.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
SteveB31

Everyday customers complain about shipping costs. Their is ONE way to significantly reduce shipping costs. Order MANY parts all at once. It may cost $30 to send $1000 of parts, and $6 to send $15 worth of parts.

We have one customer in Montana that orders 2-3 parts everyday. We often send them via USPS for $5, but I just added up his shipping charges for parts I have sent him, ALL for one car, and he has now paid $1800 in shipping costs, all at $5-10 per day.

I have another customer that restores a car every year at home. He sends us one order for ALL the parts he needs, (usually a $8000-10000 order) and usually the shipping for ALL THE PARTS to restore his car, is less then $200 .

Not trying to step on any toes, but it makes sense to combine your future needs and get all you need at one time.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
ronn

Rusty,
that charge seems about normal today. I know it might seem high to you, but that fee is pretty standard in todays economy.
gasoline is coming down, but is pretty expensive when included in shipping fees. We all pay for it.....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
wrndln

Steve Becker,
I picked up the fasteners at the local Fastenal store in our town, they were not shipped to me. The local Fastenal store did have to order in some of the fasteners, but I thought that was the cost of doing business and they probably had trucks moving items anyway. Your (Bert's) shipping cost are normally reasonable.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Everyday customers complain about shipping costs. Their is ONE way to significantly reduce shipping costs. Order MANY parts all at once. It may cost $30 to send $1000 of parts, and $6 to send $15 worth of parts.

We have one customer in Montana that orders 2-3 parts everyday. We often send them via USPS for $5, but I just added up his shipping charges for parts I have sent him, ALL for one car, and he has now paid $1800 in shipping costs, all at $5-10 per day.

I have another customer that restores a car every year at home. He sends us one order for ALL the parts he needs, (usually a $8000-10000 order) and usually the shipping for ALL THE PARTS to restore his car, is less then $200 .

Not trying to step on any toes, but it makes sense to combine your future needs and get all you need at one time.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
yup this is why i wait a few days to compile a list of stuff i will need, may not need rear spring parts while focusing on the front axle but that spring is next on my agenda sorta deal so might as well get most if not all the parts i know i will need.

i get to use my employers account to order stuff (i pay in cash out of my pocket for my personal stuff) so i get the benefit of a discount and dont have to pay any S&H charges. usually shows up the next day or 2 days from when i ordered it.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
Keith True

The Fastenal we have here is pretty good to deal with.If I have to order something,I am offered the choice of waiting for a stock order,(free)or have it sent to them right off.(I pay shipping)They leave it up to me.If I want to wait a few days it costs me nothing.If I catch it just right and order a couple of days before the stock order it shows up fast.If I order the day of the stock order I have to wait for the next free ride.Stock orders,(their own trucks)never seem to take more than a week.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
wrndln

Keith,
I ordered the fasteners over a week before I pickup them up and still got the shipping and handling fee. I was never offered to wait for stock like you wrote. This was NOT a rush order. If I order any more fasteners from them, I will ask if there is a way to NOT have to pay the shipping and handling fee.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
Joe K

I have bought items from Fastenal - probably from the same store on Route 125 that Keith True orders from.

I can't say I have ever heard of "stock order" (no shipping.)

So this is a possibility worth noting.

Thanks!

Joe K
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Keith True

It is probably a local thing.We've all seen chain stores that have folks that bend over backwards to help you,and another one 15 miles away won't lift a finger.Years ago they told me here that the normal replenishment deliveries,or stock orders,were not based on X number of days,but on stock depletion.If it's busy they stock up more often,if it's slow then the truck might not come for another week or so.The guys in the stores used to have to keep track of inventory and order stock as needed,now with the stores and warehouse tied in by computer the warehouse just sends a truck when the computer says stock drops to a certain level.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
...now with the stores and warehouse tied in by computer the warehouse just sends a truck when the computer says stock drops to a certain level.
This is how it was when I worked for a major electrical supply house back 10 or so years ago.

Now for fasteners: A couple weeks ago while searching for a particular bolt, not available at any of the local places (including Fastenal), I started searching on line. Most places wanted to sell you parts in bulk. I then stumbled on a place I had forgotten about years ago.

Anyway, Tacoma Screw Products (in Tacoma Washington of course) has a very extensive list of all sorts of fasteners in hard to find sizes. --- and they ship USPS in their flat rate boxes where it fits. In my case I only needed one bolt, M18x110 (Yes it is Model A related, it was for my engine hoist). The cost, including the postage, was less than the next closest US sized bolt available here locally off the shelf. Ordered on-line, was here in less than a week.

I'll be going back there for other things.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote