Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #1
Dkrahn

Default Horn quit..need pull steering wheel

Ok, so all of a sudden my horn on '29 Pickup quit. Prior to the horn stopping all together it was going off without touching the steering column. Bench tested the horn, it makes noises...My guess is I need to see what is happening under the "horn button" on the steering column. I have Les Andrews book, and to remove steering column the floorboard, all the pedals, the starter, clutch arm and several steps to get it out the driver's door. Has any found a quick and easier way to get under the horn / lights button to see the issue?? And possibly replace the control rods, since I am there, and they are worn pretty bad?
Dkrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
Oldgearz

Default Re: Horn quit..need pull steering wheel

I didn't do all that to replace my coup horn button. I just removed the light switch and took the retaining clip off the light rod, then pushed the rod up about 2 feet (steering wheel and all). Then CAREFULLY straighten the tabs on the underside of the horn button and push tabs through to remove button assembly. It can be hard to get the tabs up through as the whole thing may be stuck together. Use a drift and light hammer to pound tabs up through housing. Once you get it apart you can clean things up, but after doing all this it makes sense to put on a new button assembly. The one I got from a parts supplier was acceptable quality, and my button no longer sticks. Good luck.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
Dkrahn

Sounds good, and thank you. So you are saying release the bail wire. Pull the light switch bulb out and then pull up from the driver's seat? Don't need to remove the linkage for the control rods? .. I can get to the horn connection at that point? Can I also get to the control levers to replace?
Old 02-10-2022, 05:37 AM   #4
old31

I think you might have a short in the switch bulb.

The horn contact comes in through the middle of the switch. It is a round contact a little smaller than a dime. Before you take too much apart I would release the bail wire, remove the switch, take it apart and clean it. Put it back together and cross your fingers.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The horn sounding without pushing the button makes me think there is a short in the wire inside the long switch rod or between the light switch plate and the horn itself. It can't function without a ground but if it shorts it will sound or if the wire breaks then that would be it for function of the horn. The horn power wire runs from the generator or alternator direct to the horn so if the horn has power to it then it just needs the grounding side repaired.

This link is to a repair kit that is likely available from several sources. This just happens to be one of them.
https://www.brattons.com/HORN-ROD-RE...ductinfo/5780/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Oldgearz

DKrahn.... remove the bail and light switch as you say. Clean up all the contacts in it as someone else mentioned, If you find a big mess in there, then clean it up and reattach to see if the mess was your problem. Otherwise do as I explained and as you said, but you must remove the little clip at the end of the rod to get it to pull up. I would suggest you order 2 of these along with a reinstallation tool (cheap). Some people have a hard time getting the clip reassembled. Then yes, pull up on wheel to where you can get to the underside tabs. Luck.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #7
Dkrahn

Old Gearz..Very good.. glad you stopped me. I have no idea what all that looks like on the inside, and from what I am reading it aint pretty..
Old 02-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #8
Dkrahn

Rotorwrench..Thank you...I will take a look and update what I find..Appreciate the help.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #9
Dkrahn

Ok team....comes apart slick and easy. I can't get the bail and light to go all the way back up there though. I can get the tip started in the slot but thats it. The switch only goes up about 1/4 inch (doesn't seem right, and seems to be the issue). I pulled the horn plug out of the center and that was not the issue...
Old 02-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
rotorwrench

The spider tabs have to fit into the rotating switch plate slots to properly index the switch body to the switch lever on the steering wheel. Then the contact disk has to properly fit into the body to get it pushed back up onto the other half with the bayonet connection. The bail should go right on after the whole stack up is properly positioned. Some of the reproduction contact disks are too thick and won't seat properly. If it worked once then it should still fit together properly. It just depends on whether parts were replaced or not.

This link has a lot of electrical component information.
https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...ex%20Janke.pdf

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-11-2022 at 11:54 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #11
Dkrahn

Is the proper position for light switch straight down when off and then turn clockwise to turn on the lights? Seems like I turned the lever towards 3 o'clock to turn them on...and it is difficult to turn..please advise
Old 02-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #12
1955cj5

6 o'clock is off
5 o'clock is low beam
4 o'clock is hi beam
7 o'clock parking lights

Here is an old thread with pictures and a link to a wiring pdf...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58468
Old 02-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #13
Dkrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
6 o'clock is off
5 o'clock is low beam
4 o'clock is hi beam
7 o'clock parking lights

Here is an old thread with pictures and a link to a wiring pdf...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58468
Thank you very much...I should be able to match mine up to this
Old 02-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #14
Dkrahn

Well that was fun.. I got good at the R & R. But then the knob on the steering wheel was working backwards - off at 6 o'clock and on at 7 and 8 o'clock. It would be very helpful to have a person on their feet, in the car and watching from above while another is on their back underneath.

Thank y'all for your help, do appreciate it..
Dean