Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default Somewhat OT - an eBay question...

O.K. Let's admit it - we all use eBay, whether passively (lurking) or actively (buying/selling). It's a dirty little secret we all share. I plead guilty, too. eBay can be quite helpful.
But...some sellers dump SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much cr*p on eBay that it runs page after page after page. I refuse to buy ANYTHING from someone dumping like that, whether I need the item(s) or not. Today did it for me with 10 straight pages of pure cr*p posted by the same seller (not antique Ford parts). Is there a way of blocking a seller so that his junk doesn't come up on my eBay??? This would be comparable to blocking certain channels on cable TV that I will NEVER, EVER watch (BET, Spanish language stations, religious collection cup-rattling dribble, etc.). Surely, eBay provides an alternative to all this junk selling by allowing the bidder to eliminate a certain seller? How?
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Somewhat OT - an eBay question...

By the way, I did a Google search on this topic and only came up with a temporary block method that has to be initiated EACH TIME one peruses eBay listings. As I check a certain subject matter's offerings several times per day, this would get REAL old, fast. I was hoping someone on this website has discovered a more permanent way of blocking a certain seller.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Some people watch it and others are obsessed with it ! I personally get sick of the " look what I found on E bay " posts. There just about as bad as " look what followed me home " ! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-01-2016 at 09:00 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I don't know about blocking a seller, but I can eliminate a lot of crap by using the minus sign. A lot of morons think they will get sales by attaching "STUDEBAKER" to all there crap, so they add "fits Studebaker".

If I'm looking for a 1950 Studebaker part I'll search like this:

1950 Studebaker -(fits)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

You can only look at so many shifter balls and signs right? I do as Tom and when searching in the "Parts and Accessories" I use "Model A Ford -(Fits: Ford Model A)". It eliminates most of the junk. After using the same search a couple of times, ebay "remembers" and my search words are in the drop down menu.

Then I click on "Newly Listed" so I don't have to wade thru all the parts I've already seen.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
redmodelt

This is what I posted on the Ford Model T Club of America forum, they are having similar issues with their searches.
Change the T to A and try this;

From some of the strings of words being used to block unwanted items, sounds like some of you are not setting tight enough parameters in the first place for your search.
To get your search parameters setup; You can get to the Ebay motors page from the drop down in the header or parameter settings on the left after you type model t -fits in the search box and load that page.

in Ebay motors, type in model t -fits in the search box.
After the page(s) load using the box on the left;
Click new and/or used (which every combination for condition you are looking for) This can be changed next time you open the page but will not change your basic setup.
Under "Categories" sub heading "Parts & Accessories" click "Vintage Car & Truck Parts" (if you don't see it try expanding the list).
Any other search parameter you want to set from the box on the left, now is the time to do it.

The pages will reload several times DO NOT save till you have everything set.

Now save the page in your favorite file on your home page not thru ebay.
When you open the page from favorites the next time you can tweak it for what you are looking for but it will not change basic setup of that page in your favorites file the next time you open it.
I get some none Ford stuff and a number of people don't know T from A so put both. Just putting -fits takes a really big chunk of junk out of the search.

Last edited by redmodelt; 08-30-2016 at 10:22 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Dollar Bill

Go to "Advanced Search" near the bottom of the window you have the option to exclude a particular seller. You must type their seller name exactly - I usually just copy and paste from one of their auctions.

If you can't find it, post back and I'll take a screenshot and post for you.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Bob C

I have been trying to find some way to block the pages and pages Mac's
lists with no luck. I've tried to find a common word in their listings but no luck.

Bob

Thank Bill, I used advanced just never looked all the way down the page.

Last edited by Bob C; 08-30-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Dodge

I've been typing in used after Model A and eliminating a lot of it. I used to use the report biutton and do a page of complaints. Then call ebay and they would get rid of them but it was a lot of work.
Maybe if we all called and complained it would help.
They hav a program for the sellers that lets them put "fits so and so" we need a search that can eliminate the United wanted ads.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
pooch

You can type the minus sign before a word multiple times .

Like..... 1928 1929 ford -sign -diecast model -die cast model -shifter ball -T shirt -rat rod -ratrod etc etc and save the search .

As you get other crap appearing, just add it to the list and save again.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote