Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Evan Lewis

Default Electrical Problems

I sure need your help, Fordbarners! I noticed on Mon. that my amp meter was not showing a charge, just discharge. Following is what took place before this:
Last Thurs. afternoon late, I was driving my A and had the head-lights on when I noticed that the amp meter was moving erratically! I turned my lights off immediately and headed for home. Oh, and another thing, my horn would not work right. Instead of Ahoooga, it would only go gaaaaaaaa.
Sat. afternoon I worked on it and found that the wires that are supposed to be attached to the output terminal on the cut-out (Wiring harness wires and the wire from the terminal box.) were so loose they were about to come off because the screw holding them to the output tab had become loose and would not tighten up.
I then noticed the head-lights nor the cowl-lights were working. With a test light I determined there was juice to both high and low beams on both head-lights and both cowl-lights. I looked at the bulbs and the filaments appeared O.K., but I tried a new bulb in one of the head-lights any way, and both high & low beams then worked. Then the other head-light and then both cowl-lights and all the lights worked fine. Even though the bulbs looked O.K., they must have been burned out. The tail-lights were and still are O.K., they have the LED inserts in them. The horn is now working normally too.
I was 'messin' with the car today and noticed that the amp meter is not indicating any charge when the engine is running, but does indicate a discharge when the lights are on, the horn button is pushed and when the key to the ignition switch is turned on. But there is absolutely no charge indicated on the amp meter when the engine is running.
My question is: Would the loose wires on the cut-out tab have effectively made the circuit operate without the cut-out and blown the bulbs? Ruined the generator? Ruined the EVR/Cut-out?
Tomorrow I plan to do some testing on the components (Generator, amp meter & EVR/cut-out) per the books I have. I have had an EVR/Cut-out on it instead of a regular cut out for about 5 years and it has worked great since I put it on.
Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Evan Lewis
Evan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
MCHinson

Default Re: Electrical Problems

I have no experience with an EVR. The loose wiring would allow the generator output to go high enough to blow the bulbs. The generator may very well be fried now, it depends on how long it was operated with no load on the generator due to the loose wires. I would tighen up all of the connections in the circuit and test the generator output.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Lewis View Post
I sure need your help, Fordbarners! I noticed on Mon. that my amp meter was not showing a charge, just discharge. Following is what took place before this:
Last Thurs. afternoon late, I was driving my A and had the head-lights on when I noticed that the amp meter was moving erratically! I turned my lights off immediately and headed for home. Oh, and another thing, my horn would not work right. Instead of Ahoooga, it would only go gaaaaaaaa.
Sat. afternoon I worked on it and found that the wires that are supposed to be attached to the output terminal on the cut-out (Wiring harness wires and the wire from the terminal box.) were so loose they were about to come off because the screw holding them to the output tab had become loose and would not tighten up.
I then noticed the head-lights nor the cowl-lights were working. With a test light I determined there was juice to both high and low beams on both head-lights and both cowl-lights. I looked at the bulbs and the filaments appeared O.K., but I tried a new bulb in one of the head-lights any way, and both high & low beams then worked. Then the other head-light and then both cowl-lights and all the lights worked fine. Even though the bulbs looked O.K., they must have been burned out. The tail-lights were and still are O.K., they have the LED inserts in them. The horn is now working normally too.
I was 'messin' with the car today and noticed that the amp meter is not indicating any charge when the engine is running, but does indicate a discharge when the lights are on, the horn button is pushed and when the key to the ignition switch is turned on. But there is absolutely no charge indicated on the amp meter when the engine is running.
My question is: Would the loose wires on the cut-out tab have effectively made the circuit operate without the cut-out and blown the bulbs? Ruined the generator? Ruined the EVR/Cut-out?
Tomorrow I plan to do some testing on the components (Generator, amp meter & EVR/cut-out) per the books I have. I have had an EVR/Cut-out on it instead of a regular cut out for about 5 years and it has worked great since I put it on.
Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Evan Lewis
I suspect that the generator output could not get to the battery through the loose connection and caused extreme high voltage output an burned out the bulbs.
Long story short, probably TOASTED generator and/or regulator.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
CarlG

I had that happen to me when a short in the headlight connector caused the fuse to blow, thereby causing the high voltage output, thereby blowing out every bulb in the car. (headlights are now wired direct - without the offending connectors at the base of the bucket)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

The EVR cut out is probably damaged, maybe the generator too. I would try installing a regular cut out and see if it would show a charge on the ammeter. this would at least show if the generator was damaged. I had a similar problem when one of the battery cable end type master disconnect switches became corroded and effected the connection. this in turn caused problems with the can style regulator. I corrected the cable problem and installed one of my spare cut outs until I could replace the EVR. The EVR can be sent back for repair and if the generator is ok the cut out will allow you to continue to ride until the EVR can be repaired and replaced.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote