Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Droobie

Default Steering box help needed

Hey there folks. I am putting my 2 tooth box back together after a refresh. Everything was going good till I went to tighten the sector housing down. The Les Andrews book says to tighten the housing down then install the Sector thrust screw. I tighten the nuts for the housing and went to turn the steering shaft and it was locked up. If i loosen the nuts and it will turn freely. I thought maybe I could use the thrust screw to adjust it but with no luck. Any advice or thoughts would much appreciated.

Drew
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: Steering box help needed

Try turning the eccentric nut one way or the other.You are trying to tighten the cover down with the sector adjusted too tight to the worm.The angle of the gears makes it tighter still as you tighten it down.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Hook

I just went through the same rebuild on my 2 tooth column. You need to loosen the housing cover nuts 1/4 turn, then adjust the eccentric adjusting nut. I still couldn't get mine loose enough when the wheel was centered, so I had to adjust the "Centralization Rivet" back to where it had been. In Les's book, he tells you to set it to the vertical position when doing a rebuild. Mine had been off to one side slightly before I replaced the sector shaft but not the worm gear. I set it back and the steering is great.
Try the eccentric nut first.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Droobie

Keith and hook, I did read that part of the book. I figured that because i did not replace the sector that it would just go back where it was before. I will try the eccentric nut in the morning and get back to yall. Also I noticed that when rotating the steering shaft from stop to stop it turns freely then tightens up at about center then frees back up. This of course while the housing nuts were not snug.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Flathead

It is supposed to be tighter in the center
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Keith True

What is freshen up to you? I would take it to be clean up,new bearings and gasket.If you replaced the bearings the sector will most likely fit tighter against the worm.It won't be in the same place it was with worn bearings.Being tight in the center is a good sign,that means you still have metal left to wear down in the future.Most of the driving is done in the straight ahead position,so that is where it wears the most.If there was no slop after turning the wheel when new,there would be no way to adjust the slop out of the center.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
700rpm

I have found that I don't get an accurate adjustment on a 2-tooth until it's installed and the car is sitting on the ground.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote