Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
mass A man

Default Hey Bub, you broke my gas pump!

Just a short but true story that happened this past summer at a local gas station nearby. I stopped to get gasoline in the '31 pickup, it was hot in Danvers,there were a few clouds. I had the windshield opened up to feel the warm breeze on the knees. I walked up to pay the girl working in the little switch house. She smiles a lot since she has trouble with English yet. I went back to the Model A and grabbed the pump nozzle out of the pump, pressed the "regular" button, then low and behold, I can't get the gas cap off because I forgot to close down the windshield. It was in the way of the cap lifting off the tank. Now what does a man do with the gas pump nozzle when you know you have to use both hands IN the truck to pull the windshield back in? Lay it on the ground? On the running board? NO! I put it back in the big, switchless, cavernous opening in the gas pump, where it would be a safe spot for it. BIG MISTAKE! I'm now ready, again, to pump my fuel---Nothing! Nada! Apparently I stopped the sale in the pump/switch-house by resting the nozzle in it's place in the gas pump. Poor girl couldn't reset it for some unknown reason. She had to call in a manager. I retrieved my 20 bucks and drove away that hot afternoon after apologizing profusely. Hope she knew what I was saying. After 3 or 4 miles down the road I found myself laughing out loud. Maybe it was the irony or my ignorance of today's gas pumps? I go to another gas station,- for a while anyway.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Hey Bub, you broke my gas pump!

Nah i wouldnt feel bad, we have several styles still floating about haha. One kept asking to press start well i pulled pressed everyhting i could find on that pump and thought maybe the nozzle thing tellign ti the pump handle was removed wasnt working.

I drove up to a different pump then noticed the start button mixed in with the keypad buttons....
Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
aussie

Hi mate love your story come over to Brisbane Australia you put the petrol [gas ] in first then pay $6.40 a gallon , have a great day Steve
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

I pulled into Bad Bud's petrol place with Minerva's windscreen COMPLETELY open. While in the car, I pulled the cap off, hopped out & grabbed the nozzle, sat down IN the car & filled 'er up. A crowd of 4 people gathered--------------!!!! Bill W.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
juke joint johnny

That's a Good One Bill!!! Will have to try it next Summer!!!
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
i have laid the nozzle on the ground under similar circumstances, but this is a good story !!!....so the pump designers failed to have a 'back' button on it !!!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Model A Man

I just moved to Oregon, here they pump it for you. The way I understand it is you are not allowed to pump your own gas here.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I just moved to Oregon, here they pump it for you. The way I understand it is you are not allowed to pump your own gas here.
It's true that it is illegal to pump your own in Oregon, but most stations will allow classic car and motorcycle owners to do it themselves. If they try to stop me I just tell them that they'll pay for the new paint job if they spill it on my A. That usually ends the argument. If not, I go down the street to the next station.

BTW, gas is cheaper here than in either CA or WA, but I think that is due more to low gas taxes than hiring or not hiring pump jockeys. (Currently $3.29/gal around Portland).

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Skeezixx

I drove past the "Clean Restrooms" sign up to the island at the Texaco station and a dapper man in a smart olive green jumpsuit and a cap with a red star on it came out to greet me with a "Fill er Up"? He filled the tank, wiped the windshield, checked the oil, inspected my wiper blades, and checked the water in the radiator and battery. He collected $2.59 and I was on my way.

But that was a while back when Ike was in office.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I drove past the "Clean Restrooms" sign up to the island at the Texaco station and a dapper man in a smart olive green jumpsuit and a cap with a red star on it came out to greet me with a "Fill er Up"? He filled the tank, wiped the windshield, checked the oil, inspected my wiper blades, and checked the water in the radiator and battery. He collected $2.59 and I was on my way.

But that was a while back when Ike was in office.
Those were the days, but they're gone forever.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote