Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default I just need to adjust the idle?

On this Holly where do I adjust the idle? Here picture of the carb on my 56 T-Bird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4E6309F-448D-4217-9190-BC755CFD3B32.jpg (76.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 57F427A6-9F28-41B3-BCF9-39D67AC70B82.jpg (74.4 KB, 54 views)
Old Redneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: I just need to adjust the idle?

It looks to me that in the second photo the idle adj screw is about in the middle of the photo. It (I think) is the screw with the little spring under it. Should unscrew it for lower idle rpm's.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Old Redneck

Ok I back off that black screw off where it was not touching. Made no difference BUT when I push on the other side of the black screw the idle came down real nice. I back off that screw 5 times and the idle stay high. You help me Thank you. I need to get some books on this rascal to make life more easy.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

Sounds like there is a spring missing/broken that should pull the the linkage down to the slow idle position. The spring on my 302 is about a 1/2" in diameter and approx 6" long.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Old Redneck

I just drove it around the block.I spray some WD40 on it to see if that helps. It was stuck seams to work ok now.The speedometer does not work? Hope it a easy fix. The carburetor works very nice now. It has a Micky Mouse Radio that has to go. Nothing but original radio. Blue Dot tail lights. Sell them at Hershey. This Redneck don't need that junk. Generator don't work also. I got my work cut out on this Junker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 756F7DD0-8B33-4FCB-B9D7-7C040947134F.jpg (71.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
... Generator don't work also. I got my work cut out on this Junker.
If the car was sitting with the battery disconnected long enough the generator may just need to be polarized. It's worth a try and won't hurt in any case...

to Polarize the Generator...
* When the wiring job is done, before you start the engine, remove the Field wire from the voltage regulator and very briefly touch it to the Battery terminal of the voltage regulator (you will get a small spark) then reconnect the Field wire to it’s position on the voltage regulator. *

That carb looks like the stock '56 Bird setup.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
Old Redneck

I disconnect the field and touch the Batt. got spark. hook back up and started the car and batt still red light on. I will take the generator off and have it check out. I put 4 quarts of transmission fluid in it today. Thirsty. Now watch for leaks. I got the roof painted and will put it on Monday. Also had a little trip around the block. Tires are bumpy. Only 25 years old. Do you run radials on your T-Bird? If so what kind?
Old 04-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
... Tires are bumpy. Only 25 years old.
The brand name is Flintstone?
Might be time for new ones.
Quote:
... Do you run radials on your T-Bird? If so what kind?
Radials are the way to go for a 'driver'. I've had Michelin's and Hankook. (but not the one in the photo)
If you want the pricey Wide whitewall radials look at the various DiamondBacks..... https://dbtires.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 yr old blown tire.jpg (56.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-18-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
miker98038

I know pictures don't tell the whole story. I sense your a bit frustrated working on something different. But that's not a junker compared to what a lot of us started out with.

You've got way less work for a "driver" restoration than I did.

The radials in the more or less stock replacement size are a great improvement over bias plies. If you have to have the bias look, try the bias look radials. Sit down and have a beer before you look at the pricing. I've got them on my 32 hot rod, way better than the bias plies I built it with
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:15 AM   #10
Old Redneck

Dad use to call my cars Junkers just to have fun with me. So that stuck and it don't make difference what shape my old car are in they are junkers. You fellows have been a great help and I want to say Thank You.I want to make this Thunderbird drive nice that my wife can drive it and enjoy it.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Ok I back off that black screw off where it was not touching. Made no difference BUT when I push on the other side of the black screw the idle came down real nice. I back off that screw 5 times and the idle stay high. You help me Thank you. I need to get some books on this rascal to make life more easy.
Check out my website, www.hotrodreverend.com/blog when you have time. I cover these Holley 4000 carburetors in detail. The guru on this site though is SalCicala - he should check in soon.

One link to help you get started...
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/...anifold-part-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (59.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
scicala

Well, based on post #5, it sounds like the carburetor issue has been resolved. I'm guessing the choke wasn't completely opened, and was still on the fast idle cam on the opposite side of the carb.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
Old Redneck

It OK now the carb is working very nice now. Now on to the next problem's with the car. Not quit sure about the transmission taking 4 quarts to bring it up the normal mark. Is that normal to leak off while sitting for 12 years or more? I will half to watch it down the road.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
paul2748

Did you follow the procedure to check fluid? Car must be warmed up to operating temp. Run through the gears, then put in park. With the engine running, check level

With that many quarts being added, I would assume there is a bad leak somewhere.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #15
Old Redneck

That what I though that a bad leak. Today it did not leak a drop which surprise me. We will see down the road. I took the T-Bird down to the paint shop to get the top put on?? It been there all day trying to get the top on correct and they are not getting anywhere. They started 10 AM and at 5 PM they are not done yet. The brackets don't line up and they are trying to adjust them so they can fasten it down. We will see what tomorrow will bring I guess.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #16
paul2748

Hard Top? Is it the side brackets? If so, the top may have spread. . Be aware that the rear brackets changed style over the years so make sure the deck receptacle matches the top brackets. There may be another way, but using a strap hold down to pull in the sides and letting the top sit in the sun should bring it back. Adjust a little at a time.

In addition, if it's problem with the rear deck receptacles being too far back so the top doesn't line up with the front the receptacles are adjustable to a point.

Quote:
That what I though that a bad leak. Today it did not leak a drop which surprise me. We will see down the road. I took the T-Bird down to the paint shop to get the top put on?? It been there all day trying to get the top on correct and they are not getting anywhere. They started 10 AM and at 5 PM they are not done yet. The brackets don't line up and they are trying to adjust them so they can fasten it down. We will see what tomorrow will bring I guess.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
... Be aware that the rear brackets changed style over the years so make sure the deck receptacle matches the top brackets. ...
Yes, there are three different shapes / styles of latches for the rear deck. (and 2 styles of latch handles)

https://www.classictbird.com/Hard-Top/products/66/3/0
Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
miker98038

The comments on the top are correct, and IIRC you've got both tops. Getting both tops to fit can be a chore, even if you're recovering the convertible top. I finally gave up trying to get my hard top to "narrow", and pulled the side pins that go into the latch mechanism right behind the doors (kept the latches). If you've got the original swing arm on the soft top (which I need because it weighs a ton) it's another PITA. One side at a time, then back to the first side, repeat as needed. Even at that, the new weatherstripping needed shimming. Not to keep all the water out, just so you couldn't see thru the opening.

You mentioned the transmission. Early FOM were air cooled, later had a cooler in the radiator. Might take a look and see what you've got. They also start in second gear, if you're not familiar with them, just ask.

My Dad and his buddy had a couple war surplus boats in the early 50's. They rebuilt one, and never got to the other. They named that one "Junker", so I get it.

Last edited by miker98038; 04-20-2020 at 09:19 PM.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #19
Old Redneck

I am running into putting the hard top on the T-Bird now. Its a bitch lining up both sides. The passenger side line up but the driver side the rear tie down off 2 inches. The hooks could be longer. Might half to make them. The body shop that painted the top is installing it. They worked 4 hours yesterday and how Manny today?????. Found rust on the rear edge of the deck lid. Needs to be cut off and new made. That what you get when you buy a antique car I guess.