Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Kube

Default Yet another Drake wonderment...

I ordered a set of floor pans about 6 weeks ago from Bob (BackOrderBob). Of course they were not in stock.
Anyway, I was told the freight would be free. I asked TWICE if this were true as it seemed like a deal. I was told TWICE that "Yes, freight is included."
You guessed it... freight is extra. $177 extra.
Where I came from and the way I do business, my word can be taken to the bank. If I make a mistake, I suffer the consequence.
Yes, Drake has helped us. However, remember he is motivated by profit, not simply because he loves old Fords. Perhaps a bit too much by profit...
Funny how the water pump fiasco didn't come to a fair conclusion until the story was 'exposed' here on the Barn.
And, what about the sale catalogs we paid for years ago ($10) that took YEARS to arrive. In the meantime how many got their $10 returned... the list goes on.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas
Default Re: Yet another Drake wonderment...

I am sure that they denied ever telling you that the freight was free! Too bad that you did not record the conversation.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
steve-cook

I did not get my $10 if you can get it for me fell free to apply to shipping I gave up on it years ago.
steve-cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
34ragtop

they did the same thing to a friend of mine years ago, i guess things never change
34ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Frank The Plumber

The sun is shining some where.

Last edited by Frank The Plumber; 05-14-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
dirt t

I won't buy from them anymore!
dirt t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
ems customer service

gee was a few months ago drake was hero on the barn for importing these huge panels, no one then considered that it was going to take truck frieght to get this stuff home and now we complain. where was the truth then? bob gave you what you wanted now you $%^&*(() did you really belive free truck frieght???? i do not like what drake has done but you should have known better to!!!!!
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
41PICUP

If you read the shipping policy in his ad...."Free shipping on orders over $1000. or more. Applies only to orders applicable size items shipped by common parcel carriers (UPS,FED-EX). Items as noted requiring shipment by frieght truck do not qualify for this offer.
What part of that didn't you get.
I've always had good service from his company.
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Gary in La.

Mike, Bob Drake did offer a discount of $50 on a minimum $100 order by way of a card sent to previous purchasers of his never to be finished super collector catalog. I used mine and did receive the discount. You might check with them and have them check their records for your original purchase of the catalog. May be able to get the discount. As to the shipping fiasco ,it is definitely bad business practice for them to not honor what they agreed to.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
01aford

I missed the water pump story.
Please advise. I was palnning on getting a spare and I was going to get the new high flow Drake.
What's up??
01aford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Mr.34

I just ordered another set of running boards and I knew the shipping was free over $1000 and I believe their latest summer sale catalog says free shipping on orders over $1000? My boards arrived in 48 hours which caught me off gaurd as I thought they were coming Fed X ground? Maybe the driver drove straight through to the Midwest (haha). I have few problems with Drake but then I have had problems with MAC, Carpenter and all of them. My only beef is the made in China crap. We have very hungry job shops here in the good ol' USA. The running boards made in China went up $300 since 2 years ago when they first came out. I think we have mostly agreed that we will pay more for made in USA is guaranteed. It is not as if they produce tens of thousands of parts like GM, Ford etc.. Their market is small, so why try to save on manufacturing other than more profit. I do understand tooling costs and the dies for the new 40 coupe body will be VERY high and predict the bodies will be sold at a king's ransom, but they will sell. Lucky we have a half dozen suppliers to choose from. I buy from them all.

Aside, I much prefer the way the new Barn threads run, but then being a HAMB fan, I have been use to it. Sure fun to see so many of the guys posting photos of their cars, garages and more.
Mr.34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41PICUP View Post
If you read the shipping policy in his ad...."Free shipping on orders over $1000. or more. Applies only to orders applicable size items shipped by common parcel carriers (UPS,FED-EX). Items as noted requiring shipment by frieght truck do not qualify for this offer.
What part of that didn't you get.
I've always had good service from his company.
However, it you ask repeatedly and they say no shipping fee, what would you think?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Try talking to Bob directly. It sounds like one of his guys screwed up and now they want to bury it. Let the boss know what is going on.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
Cecil/WV

I had the bottom center windshield clip back ordered a year ago and had given up on ever getting it when a call came in last week saying that it was in and I called yesterday and now it is on the way. That's good. I can only speak for myself, but they have always been good for me.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
V8 Bob

When I bought the "collectable" catalog over 10 years ago, a $20 discount was offered, which I used. Late last year a $50 coupon was offered to people who bought the collectable catalog for purchases over $100, which I also used, so I think the catalog "issue" should finally be put to rest, as it's more than paid for itself! If you haven't taken advantage of his offers, that's your fault, not his.

Yes, I get ticked when SOME items are put on back order, (this is common with many of the companies I order from) but overall I have had great service and received the highest quality parts available over the past 30 or so years.

If you think you can buy better quality parts from someone else, or buy cheaper, or with less shipping, then do it, but this Bob Drake "bashing" is frankly getting a little old, don't you think? IMO
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Frank The Plumber

I dont think this is a good idea, posting negative about any one for any reason, I have a fear that there may be ways that the party being described may litigate against the person making the post, Im not choosing sides, I just feel ignorant to the laws on this and can not see any reason to give any one an opportunity to invite me to a legal fun fest.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
Kube

Perhaps you should read my post again. This time, slowly so as to grasp what my post was truly about.
The point being made was not of quailty. It was about the business ethics involved. In this case, the lack thereof. I agreed to pay a price. They agreed to it and ship at that price. THEY changed the deal.
From your response, I guess when a fellow shakes your hand, it isn't necessarily a deal.

The catalog thing... It was brought up to show a pattern. As were the water pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
When I bought the "collectable" catalog over 10 years ago, a $20 discount was offered, which I used. Late last year a $50 coupon was offered to people who bought the collectable catalog for purchases over $100, which I also used, so I think the catalog "issue" should finally be put to rest, as it's more than paid for itself! If you haven't taken advantage of his offers, that's your fault, not his.

Yes, I get ticked when SOME items are put on back order, (this is common with many of the companies I order from) but overall I have had great service and received the highest quality parts available over the past 30 or so years.

If you think you can buy better quality parts from someone else, or buy cheaper, or with less shipping, then do it, but this Bob Drake "bashing" is frankly getting a little old, don't you think? IMO
Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

There does seem to be a lack of integrity among some of the suppliers. Fortunately they aren't all this way. I make every effort to refrain from buying from those who lack proper business ethics.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
Kube

Ross, I agree with you 100%. Is that your coupe in the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in East Texas View Post
There does seem to be a lack of integrity among some of the suppliers. Fortunately they aren't all this way. I make every effort to refrain from buying from those who lack proper business ethics.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Chris/Mass

I'm using a laptop made in China. My jeans were made in Mexico. My t-shirt was assembled in Honduras of US made components. My work shirt-Chinese. The list goes on as I'm sure it does for most of us. I do insist on US made Chippewa work boots. I try to buy US made whenever I can but I can't devote a lot of time going out of my way to do so. I'll be thankful to Bob Drake and people like him who continue to invest what I'm sure is a great deal of money to make the parts to keep our cars running. If any of you has a list of manufacturers doing what Bob Drake is doing with American made parts please post it here. I'm sure their phone will be ringing off the hook.

Last edited by Chris/Mass; 05-15-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: omission
Chris/Mass is offline   Reply With Quote