Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default AACA Magazines now on USB.

FWIW,

I got my latest AACA magazine and found that you can buy all the past issues of the magazines on one USB for $99.

I am hoping the Model A clubs go that direction. I have a mostly complete collection of both Model A club magazines I would love to sell off and go electronic.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: AACA Magazines now on USB.

i saw that also.....
They do have their s--t together
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
CarlG

Just in time for Hershey
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Jim Huseby

Does it have a topic index?
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

it has a index categorizing all the issues
here is a link to purchase...
every issue from 1937-2015
http://www.aacalibrary.org/product/u...le-collection/
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Bruce Adams

I think FLASH DRIVE or memorry stick is how it comes. I believe USB is the Plug.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Bruce Adams

Now if only MAFCA or MARC would see fit to put the Judging Standards on line, maybe with a password or email address ID for those who have paid for it, so its readily available at car shows and dinner discussions. That is how my local newspaper gives me an on-line version in addition to my paper subscription.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
I think FLASH DRIVE or memorry stick is how it comes. I believe USB is the Plug.
AKA "Thumb drive" (The vendor calls it a "USB Drive")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AACA USB Drive.jpg (5.6 KB, 8 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

They ( AACA ) are light years ahead of many of the other organizations. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
todd3131

Why don't they just upload them in the cloud and just sell a login and pass code like
a digital movie much easier, faster and cheaper for them, they don't have the cost of the drive the time to load each drive and the mail cost. My developer uses several services
like this for our business, and still charge the same amount which isn't that much.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

How long until the data is all over the place with no money exchanging hands with the AACA?

How many download books, music, movies etc without paying a dime?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
mshmodela

In my humble opinion, all clubs could do themselves and their hobbies better by placing knowledge online for free. Oh but how would they make money to keep themselves a float?? Well they could use advertising for one, and donations for others. They could still make money from the printed additions --I'd still buy them...

If you think about the history of printed book vs hand written books, the mass explosion of knowledge sharing due to lower cost or printed book changed the world forever. Open and sharing of information only benefits all.

Think of these fell fellows who did well by doing that:

http://www.google.com/about/company/

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
How long until the data is all over the place with no money exchanging hands with the AACA?

How many download books, music, movies etc without paying a dime?
That likely already happening with each groups information. It will always happen and it is proven to not be effective to not embrace the facts.

People have already scanned in the Model A magazines for themselves. I am sure some have already been shared.

As for the business model. Some people want the physical magazines anyway. Others get the copied information because they want to see if they they like it. Often a percentage of the people will then spend the money for a legal set if they feel it is a useful product. Yes, a portion of the people will not buy the set.

The music industry found this to be true. While they still maintain their copyright prosecutions, they also know piracy adds to there business model. Many people want to hear the music before they buy it. In fact the piracy levels dropped when the music groups started giving the music out for free on places like Youtube. Sales have been pretty good of the music still. They make lots of money.

It is matter of adapting to the new technologies.

If the clubs want to get the young crowd they had better start embracing the technolgies a bit harder. They need more going on with the websites and they need to be less stingy with the information. Stop worrying about selling the info and remodel the business to work with the future. You have to make it tech friendly.

A good point is to consider is how the technical information has become less important with the advent of Fordbarn. You do not need the 12' stack of magazines full of mostly dated information. You go to the net to get the current accurate information.

I do not know the best solution, but I do know that we should probably be looking what clubs for younger cars (the have younger people) do and figure out what works.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

good answer Kevin and may i add that for every stick they sell its 99.00 found money that they would have never of had... the magazines come free in the mail with an AACA membership every 2 months.. i dont think they are worried about piracy of past issues..
Old 09-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #15
daveymc29

I had two nearly complete sets of the Restorer that I tried to sell on the mafca site. Got a couple of calls and there appeared to be no interest in my asking price so I offered to box them up and send them to a few guys for free, if they would pay the shipping. I eventually dumped them as there was no interest even for shipping costs. One set was complete with all the early issues.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Why don't they just upload them in the cloud and just sell a login and pass code like
a digital movie much easier, faster and cheaper for them, they don't have the cost of the drive the time to load each drive and the mail cost. My developer uses several services
like this for our business, and still charge the same amount which isn't that much.
I for one wouldnt trust "The Cloud". I'd rather have something I can hold in my hand. Who knows what would happen down the road and you would be cut off from the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I had two nearly complete sets of the Restorer that I tried to sell on the mafca site. Got a couple of calls and there appeared to be no interest in my asking price so I offered to box them up and send them to a few guys for free, if they would pay the shipping. I eventually dumped them as there was no interest even for shipping costs. One set was complete with all the early issues.
Damn, I hate I missed that. I've always thought there is a lot of good info out there that is gradually slipping away.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
Bob Johnson

I guess I should weigh in here. Many years ago I scanned in the first 10 years of The Restorer and made that available to MAFCA. They currently sell it, with a linked index, for $12. Over 4 years ago I finished scanning in the first 50 years of The Restorer. That is 300 issues, about 14,000 pages. It took about 250 hours to scan in all 50 years. I also modified the index which is available on the MAFCA site to have links to the individual pages. I have it installed on my computer and use it quite often. When I finished the project I gave a copy to MAFCA to use as they see fit. So far none of the boards of directors have been able to come up with a way to release them. I have not been at the board meeting where the topic was discussed so I only have hear-say information. The main problem is money. There are two main money issues. First concerns the How To books. It has been suggested that if the 50 years were released people would not want to buy the How To books and that source of revenues would be lost. The second problem is concern about illegal copies of the 50 years. This impacts both revenues and control of the material. Some board members feel that once the back issues are out in a digital form they would be easily copied and then much of the potential revenue would be lost to pirated copies. Some also fear that the images may show up on the internet which would result in a loss of control of the material.

There are several ways to distribute the material:

Thumb drive.
Set of DVDs
On line (free, members only or by subscription)
Download from web site (free, members only or by subscription)

There is no solution that is 100% thief proof. It is just a matter of how difficult it is to steal the material. If a good solution to the illegal copies question can be solved the board of directors would be more likely to release the 50 years of The Restorer.

Finally I will repeat that I have not sat in on any of the Board meeting when this was talked about. So this was my best interpretation of what has happened. If I have misinterpreted the boards view it was not intentional, please correct me.

Bob Johnson
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
JackA

What is USB? Universal serial buss, Upper sideband?
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackA View Post
What is USB? Universal serial buss, Upper sideband?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive
Old 09-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
stewwolfe

I, for one, would buy a disc/stick with all the issues of either The Restorer or Model A News from MAFCA or MARC if they would offer it. I just ordered the AACA stick because it take up much less space then the stack of magazines I currently have (and I don't have all of them). It makes sense and could give them another revenue stream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk