Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #21
ole39

Default Re: cast headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Who's headers didn't fit your '39? I have a '38 deluxe with an 8BA and have Speedway Fentons to install. I don't need to go through the exercise if they don't fit. They came off of a '40 with a 221 ci engine.
they are fentons, wouldnt clear steering box, had the flange angle milled, perfect fit
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:40 PM   #22
Rocket455

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If I correctly understand what you are saying, neither these nor the original Fenton's will fit the "A" or "B" frames with stock steering. If that's true, then I think we should wait until the jury is in on these. I bought a set of stainless "Center-Dump" headers off eBay for $89.95. They fit perfectly and have performed flawlessly. The only problem is that they came with Metric fasteners. That was pretty easy to fix.

Prematurely judging these solely on their place of origin before knowing what they actually are could be a mistake.
So those cheap center dump headers I see on eBay will clear the steering box? I’ve been afraid to try them I thought it was too good to be true. Too cheap to work…

My car is a 50 coupe? You think I’m safe to go for it?

They aren’t $89.95 anymore, More Like $160. bidenflation hurting these eBay stores too.
Rocket455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:08 AM   #23
tubman

I have no idea if they will fit your application. I use them when I test engines on my test stand (which, obviously, has no steering box). I am planning on using them down the road on the "T" tub I'm building that will have cowl steering.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:09 AM   #24
Tony, NY

Website says Butch's is closed for good.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #25
vilanar

I think those center dumps don't fit in ´50 Ford . In my ´50 I have "Police exhaust manifolds" for twin exhaust from Shoebox Central. They don't look/flow as nice as Fentons , but work flawlessly . 23000 miles and counting....
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #26
Rocket455

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have no idea if they will fit your application. I use them when I test engines on my test stand (which, obviously, has no steering box). I am planning on using them down the road on the "T" tub I'm building that will have cowl steering.
You had me excited for a second. I knew I couldn’t get by that cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanar View Post
I think those center dumps don't fit in ´50 Ford . In my ´50 I have "Police exhaust manifolds" for twin exhaust from Shoebox Central. They don't look/flow as nice as Fentons , but work flawlessly . 23000 miles and counting....
I kind of figured the center dumps wouldn’t work either. But I was hopeful. I don’t think shoebox central sells those police manifolds anymore. And I can’t find anybody to else who does. Know if another place that has them?

On eBay right now there is some that they are saying are designed for 49-51 cars. They are made by “Sanderson.” For the $350 asking price of the Sanderson maybe it’d be worth it just to get the Fentons.

Anybody have any experience with these sanderson headers?
Old 09-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #27
Ol' Ron

The Fenton style header is alot of money for anesthetic item that offers no improvement in power or economy. I just put a passenger side header on the driver side for Duals, and the daapter is easy to make.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #28
Rocket455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The Fenton style header is alot of money for anesthetic item that offers no improvement in power or economy. I just put a passenger side header on the driver side for Duals, and the daapter is easy to make.
Gramps
I’m not sure why I hadn’t thought about doing that. This adapter that you’re talking about, this would adapt the exhaust port flanges? I’m picture pieces of metal about 1/4” thick with 4 bolt holes and a large hole through the middle. Is that about right?
Old 09-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #29
Ol' Ron

Yes I use a 1/4" plate 2"wide and longenouth to cover all three ex ports then drill all 6 bolt holes the fron and rear are 7/16 and the two driver side holes are 3/8 and counter sunk for flathead bolts the other two rae 5/16 tappes for 3/8 NC and welded in place
Bolt this to the bock with gaskets and install the right side heaer usually a 8ba style.. works fine and only cost a few bucks
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:34 PM   #30
Rocket455

I wanted to follow up on this thread that I maybe kind of hijacked toward the end. I tried flipping the manifold before I made the adapters. And it was already sitting on the steering box. Another 1/4” of adapter and they just wouldn’t fit at all.

I ended up with a pair of Hedman Huslers. They were $379 at Jegs. Took them about a month to get to me. I guess they were backed up.
Anyway, in case anybody here was considering them they look great. The welds look pretty good. They seem thick, solid, and well built. And best of all, they fit. I have a 50 coupe. They clear my stock steering box. They even clear my starter. I have an AOD adapted to my Flathead. They all clear.

Included some pictures.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:27 AM   #31
aussie merc

im running fentons [speedway] on my 39 merc no trouble with steering box but the left steady rod had been removed prior to getting the car didn't realise but its not going back in as wont clear the headers trying to source some reward facing rods and brackets [40 style] so goes to show its just a case by case problem
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote