Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Nlbloch

Default Alternator vs. generator?

I need to replace my generator. Not sure why it failed, but this is second replacement in 8 years. Most guys at the July 4 parade have replaced with alternators. I prefer to stay as original as possible, yet I drive my car regularly and need it to be dependable. What are the pros and cons of replacing generator with alternator? Am I the last generator standing?
Nlbloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
bhiland

Default Re: Alternator vs. generator?

I have a generator as does a lot and love them? Do you have it set correct? What was you charging with it? I know guys that has ran same generetor for over 40 some years.
bhiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
jmeckel

I changed mine to a alternator and love it. Generators are just fine, but an alternator keeps your battery in better shape

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
roccaas

Mine is a Nu-Rex Alternator, so I don't have any Gen experience.

"Model A Times" did an article in the last 2 years about a Generator with a Voltage Regulator. There opinion was that it may be better than an Alternator.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

You need a generator that needs to be reliable. I would say that for 35 years they were reliable before alternators became an option. What makes you think they weren't/aren't reliable? An EVT even makes them better. This has, however been debated over and over here as to why folks feel compelled to make the change to an alternator.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Our club 60+ cars 3 alternators.

You can have the same bad luck with an alternator as a generator. You will find both camps with excellent results for either.

Alternators charge the battery with 7.4 volts which is not ideal for the battery neither is a generator.

Choose what you want either will work. A generator being original tilts the scales for me towards a generator, but that's me.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

A generator with an electronic voltage regulator is the best of both worlds. I restored my powerhouse generator in 1995 and made an electronic voltage regulator to fit inside the rear cover to replace the adjustable third brush. I haven't had the cover off since, and don't expect to have to remove it again in my lifetime. My 6 volt battery came from a junk yard 10 years ago and is still going strong. I credit this to the generator with an EVR and a quality battery.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Willie Krash

I have owned an alternator shop fir 35 years. I can make a pos grd alt that cost me little in time or money. I run a generator.
Now as a side note if I ever get around to setting bearings in my powerhouse generator I'm gonna talk Tom into selling me a VR. I'm just to lazy that's all, (to work on the powerhouse.)
When I got my car the generator was blown up....It was ran open circuit and an alternator doesn't like it either.
I dug out an old core, all ball bearing, chucked a bearing in the front and re-packed the rear bearing. New brushes and the comm looked ok so I didn't touch it.
It just keeps going...If it'll die I'll go play with the power house.
It is just a personal opinion and nothing more but an alternator on a Model A just looks wrong to me.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
Rock Hornbuckle

I solved the Gen. vs. Alt. problem by having a Gen. on the '29 Coupe' and an Alt. on the '31 Sedan. Also did the same with white/blackwalls, and fat/skinny girlfriends. Oh, I use 20wt. in the '29, and 30wt. in the '31. Just trying to cover all my options.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
dr.j

I have an EVR in my powerhouse that Tom prepared for me several years ago. Over 10,000 miles and not a problem. The battery has required a small top up once a year and all I can say is that the EVR modification is flawless!
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
baquetA1929

can camouflage an alternator, dynamo within the Original

baquetA1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
PetesPonies

That's a pretty cool perception . . hiding the alt, but seems it will run hot.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Phil

I love model As! I am not concerned if all my parts are ar correct to the month of production. However an alternator was not used by Ford for nearly 35 years after the last Model A rolled off the line. The are just"out of place" A generator is simple and they work well on Model As for over 80 years. You can solve the cut-out problems with a diode or EVR. And nothing looks out of place. Of our 4 model As the generators just have not been problematic. I love my cars because they look, feel and act like antique cars. If you want an old car with an alternator, easy steering, air conditioning, ect get you a late 60s ford and leave the old Model in tact or generations to come.
That is my opinion, I might be wrong.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
baquetA1929

in Argentina is impossible to get a generator so I had to modify
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by baquetA1929 View Post
in Argentina is impossible to get a generator so I had to modify
??? Doesn't Snyder's and all the other major venders ship to Argentina? I see them advertised here on the swap from time to time. eBay has them all the time.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Cape Codder

Nlbloch,
I don't know why your generator failed either but I would suggest while running it did you have some slack 3/4"-1" in the belt. If you installed the fan belt too tight it sure will put a strain on the bearings.
Cape Codder
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Its sort of a personal choice. An alternator will do the job but will get insulting remarks from people with no manners. Alternators need the fan belt tighter that the generator for proper output. Running with the fan belt tighter will cause problems with the original type front water pump bearing. Worn front water pump bearings, caused by tighter than normal fan belt ,upsets the seal at the rear of the pump and causes leaks. The one wire alternators will require the engine to be reved up, so as to excite the alternator for the charging to begin. Alternators don't last nearly as long as a good or properly rebuilt generator. I rebuild my own generators and use the can style voltage regulator from Fun Projects (www.funprojects.com). Overcharging is usually the cause of early generator failure. The can style voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out will allow the six volt generator to cycle from about 3 to 15 amps for power on demand, like a modern car. If six volts are not enough, Fun Projects has a can style regulator for six, eight, or twelve volt and no modifications to the original generator is required. Voltage regulation will extend the life of the model A generator and constant adjustment of the third brush for night driving will no longer be needed. The halogen bulbs that fit the original sockets will work with the model A generator. If you have lots of electrical accessories or the more powerful quartz halogen bulbs , an alternator will be a must.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 07-05-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
Aok

I generator or alternator will get you battery charged. I think many times a unfair comparison is made by comparing a new alternator to a generator that is about 80 years old and either old and tired or has had the brushes replaced and is expected to run like new.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
baquetA1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
??? Doesn't Snyder's and all the other major venders ship to Argentina? I see them advertised here on the swap from time to time. eBay has them all the time.
yes, but today is very expensive for us to bring large parts, pay 70% more taxes and other costs
Old 07-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by baquetA1929 View Post
yes, but today is very expensive for us to bring large parts, pay 70% more taxes and other costs
Sounds like a business opportunity. Learn to rebuild them and make a few bucks. There seems to be a large amount of low cost cores since no one rebuilds them, yet.