Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
GAR64

Default Looking for a little guidance..

I was recently told about a Model A Coupe that will be up for sale soon. While I have a few cars and have always studied/looked/collected etc., I am not knowledgeable about the A's. I have not seen the car yet and have no idea of the price. I have heard it was owned by the same guy for 40 years and was pretty original until he restored it about 10 years ago. Was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of the different models, options etc. and how they may relate to value. And a place to start as to what to look for as far as problems etc. I understand I have given little info but thought maybe someone could supply me some basics. I do know someone locally, but not sure I want him to get involved... Any info would be appreciated!
GAR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Looking for a little guidance..

Tell us where you live and maybe someone would be willing to go with you. As with any car it condition the set the price.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
montanafordman

One of the best ways you can get advice on how much you should pay without involving someone locally is to take several pictures of the car including engine compartment, upholstery, wheel wells, front brake arms (preferably side view to see the angle they are at) and then post the pictures here. This will give you a night to sleep on it also and consider your options. You will get the most valuable information possible outside of another experienced model A person inspecting and driving it. You don't need to share any further information if you are worried about someone beating you to the punch but sharing location info might give you a more accurate estimate on local prices/values.

Off hand guesses?

Basket case - 2-3K

Not running but a "10 footer" (as in looks good/ok @ 10ft)in appearance maybe 6k-ish?

Running and driving "10 footer" that needs some work (i.e. brakes or drivability/reliability work) Around 12K

Nice car, ready to run 14-17K.

Fully restored car with a pedigree of being entered in MAFCA or MARC judging (and doing well), correct colors, correct upholstery, correct finish/color/plating on chassis parts 18-35K

Something like an Overdrive for touring would be an added value of at least 2k if its in good working condition - especially a Mitchell - also a car with an overdrive might signify it was actually driven which COULD be an indicator the mechanical drivability components were well maintained or well restored.

Any thoughts from other barners? Maybe I'm way off in my estimates but that seems to be my impression about values.

Consider what is important to you. If you actually WANT to restore a car remember you'll spend a lot more money fixing up and restoring a car than what it is actually worth than if you bought one ready to go in good condition. Also consider if driving or fixing is more important for you time wise. Its easy to get a fixer upper and those couple little things quickly snowball and then you have to down your car for an extended period to address the issues rather than just pick away at a few minor things.

Last edited by montanafordman; 04-19-2014 at 04:34 PM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
GAR64

Thanks Montana. Totally agree about it costing more if you have to do the work...always costs more than you plan. You are also correct about fixing those "little" things. I'm not a great mechanic and what seems like a simple issue, always becomes more. I will wait til I hear from the guy and see exactly what it is. From what I hear, it is a very nice but we all know that means little...
Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
GAR64

One other thing... Can someone tell me the basic differences between a Standard/Deluxe Coupe, Business Coupe and Sport Coupe?? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Sometimes a "restoration" decreases the value of the car. Sometimes it increases the value, depending on the quality of the work and parts put into it. And sometimes a good original car that should be left original also gets "restored". I couldn't begine to give a value without a little history and pictures of the car, but montanafordman gave you a good starting point.

Be carefull of who you tell about the car. I had two "friends" buy the car out from under me after I told them what I found and intended to buy.

BTW, if it's an oval window coupe, you found the pot of gold.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
1930artdeco

Hi GAR, check out Marco's 'A Barnyard' site for some additional tips and guidance. There is a link at the top of 'A' page. There are also several other sites that are good for beginners as well.

If you do get the car-great! But remember to change all of the fluids, check the electrical, and the brakes. Especially if the car has not been driven for a long time and or the previous owner 'thought' he knew what he was doing. If do not have one, grab a copy of Les Andrew's book (available from the national clubs) that will help you A LOT.

Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
montanafordman

A real quick summary of coupes, The special coupe was only made about a year from July 1928 until about the same time in 1929 and had a leather covering/wrapping on the back of the cab but otherwise looks much like the Standard coupes made all other years. (28/29 vs 30/31 differences aside) Standard coupe does not have cowl lights, or an inside dome light like a deluxe coupe would. Also a deluxe coupe would have wood grain painted dash rail/mouldings/inside window reveals and a fancier upholstery. Many standard coupes have had cowl lights added but won't have the dome light or woodgraining. The business coupe and sport coupe both had soft tops that were NOT retractable. The sport coupe had a little fancier trim and often had landau irons.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #9
GAR64

Thanks Montana!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
Barry B./ Ma.

GAR64, do you know what year the coupe is? That may be helpful in analyzing. There are plusses and minuses between the 28/29 and 30/31 styles.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
GAR64

I do not know the year. I am hoping to go see it this week. If so, I will post pics when I can.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
mshmodela

Gar64,

The post by "montanafordman" is spot on. I was in the hunt for 4 months on my model A... (A new owner) It's by montanafordman's term a nice car... and in my hunt I saw a lot of cars in the nice car price range which were not... I did find a few suprises but all fine, it's 83 years old... and that's all part of the learning process. Good Luck.

-Mike
Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
Ed Saniewski

Go to the library and take out the book "The legendary Model A Ford" by Peter Winnewisser, or " Henry's Lady" These might help show the different models. Ed Saniewski

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote