Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
JBohannon

Default Curious Newbie question

I am just curious as to how not having an aircleaner affects a Model A engine. In todays engines we would not think of not having one. I would think back in the day they went down a lot of dirt roads.
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Great Lakes Greg

Default Re: Curious Newbie question

I think for many, the hesitation to have an air cleaner has something to do with the gravity fed fuel system. A stuck float will allow gas to drip out the carb and soak an aircleaner. A tour here in Michigan had a car light up in flames from this. Fortunately there were a dozen Model A guys with what should be mandatory fire extinguishers in they're nearby cars. I personally will risk the various particals getting sucked up over the risk of losing it all in minutes. I think engine pans may have a lot to do with keeping out the bad stuff, too. Perhaps years ago, it just wasn't a big deal for a gritty industrial booming country to be concerned with?
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
VWJoe

I drill 2 1/8'' holes in the air filter top beside the wing nut stud to allow any extra gas to drip on the engine pan and down on the ground. This signals me that the float is sticking and prevents raw fuel build-up in the air cleaner
VWJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Dick Deegan

VWJoe;

Now that is a good idea.
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
VWJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deegan View Post
VWJoe;

Now that is a good idea.

Thanks Dick, I knew I had one somewhere.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

The A engine was designed to suck dirt and keep running for 10's of thousands of miles. The thick babbitt is will allow dirt to embed and not hurt the crank. With todays modern roads the dirt is even less of and issue.

Modern engines use inserts. They fail with dirt the babbitt does not care about. So the modern engines or any with inserts need filters.

Running with dirt is allowed in all the A systems. The original fuel filters catch most anything that would give the carb grief. Then the original carb has a single bolt to drop the bottom in case you have a problem with dirt getting through.

Keep in mind the dirt is not going to be the reason your engine fails. The number one failure of the A engine is a mistake during the build phase.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
JBohannon

Thanks Kevin, That makes sense. I have learned more on this forum than all the books I have read.
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
VWJoe

I run mine for mainly backfire protection. Filtered air is just icing on the cake

Joe,,,
Damn, they missed that important little bit of info..
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Roger V

While you're right about most roads being dirt, the majority didn't drive many miles back in the day. Somewhere I read that most people never left their county. So as Kevin said, Model A engines being very forgiving on injesting dust, very few miles being driven, and speeds/rpm relatively low, I could see engines lasting quite a few years. It's normal for us to be conditioned by what we do today. Our region/club drives a lot of miles as roads are paved but the downfall is most of it is done with higher rpm's then back in the day. As been said our driving today exposes the A to limited dust. Besides the potential gas-soaked filter most don't use a zero restricted K&N filter element and don't balance their carb so they likely have an over rich gas/air mix.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
VWJoe

Holy Crap, my old 4 banger was DESIGNED to suck dirt. Man, I going to build one hell of a vacuum cleaner.. Where is B. Willaimson when I need him
Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

you should talk to Howard Taylor, excellent on carbs and tuning.. He tells you TAKE IT OFF, was not there in the beginning and does not need it. he also feels that it does effect the quality of the running engine., Had one and took it off, Good Luck
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
ctlikon0712

The original Air Maze filter element wasn't paper like many are today; it was a wire mesh/fiber design. This allowed dripping gas to leave the filter. It didn't filter as finely as paper does so wouldn't clog up with fine dust that the engine can ingest, which also allowed the atmospheric pressures to stay relatively the same without affecting the tune.
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Earle

For the investment I put in my complete rebuild I'm not inclined to allow my engine to be a "dirt vacuum". Of course this robust little engine will take a lickin' and keep on tickin' but that's not my phylosophy of car-care! Back in the day, no doubt, much less attention was paid to careful use and maintenance. And if the old girl started blowing smoke, scoring journals or abrading valves and stems - no biggie as long as it kept "running."

No doubt some of you have seen the insides of an engines that had been "sucking dirt" for thousands of miles - especially the cylinder walls. Who would intentionally do that to these rare and costly engines?

I run an over-sized, low-resistance paper air filter and inspect regularly for fuel leaks.
And I carry a fire extinguisher. It's a risk trade-off I've been able to manage OK for many years and miles.

To varying degrees, whether you drive dusty dirt roads or clean pavement, there are always dust and microscopic abbrasives in the atmosphere. They take their toll. IMHO all engines should have oil and air filtration. Cheap life insurance when installed and maintained properly.
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
jmeckel

Also if you use an Air-Maze filter with metal screen, and apply an lite coat of oil it will help trap more dirt. You just need to clean and re-oil it often. Air-Maze wire screen filters were sold as after market parts during the entire time A's were made. They are not a "new / modern" created device. Based on this, some orginal owners must have also felt that it was a good idea to provide some sort of air filtering.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
28RPU

What other makes did not put air filters on their engines?

When I first got mine, the first thing I bought for it was an air filter because I thought it was missing. I never would have thought that Henry did not put one on it from the factory.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Stationary engines didn't have any air filters. Old boat motors didn't have filters. If you use the wire mesh filter, rinse it in gas, blow dry, then oil the mesh to catch the dirt and hold it until the next cleaning. Many older lawn mowers used wire mesh, but most of the newer ones have changes to open cell foam, which is also rinsed in gas and reoiled. Some later cars have an open cell foam filter wrapped around the paper, to prefilter the air and make the paper filter last much longer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
real550A

Has anyone any experience with this style?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
hardtimes

Earle,
'voice of reason' ! You probably won't get many votes,eh!!
Well, if a good stock engine was designed to ingest/suck dirt, just think of what a good sucker that you've built by spending upward of $10K...and be satisfied that you did good!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWJoe View Post
Holy Crap, my old 4 banger was DESIGNED to suck dirt. Man, I going to build one hell of a vacuum cleaner.. Where is B. Willaimson when I need him
I wasn't gonna' get drug into this, 'til I noticed you misspelled my LAST NAME!
BALDERDASH! BALDERDASH! BALDERDASH! Why would ANYONE try to justify throwin' DIRT through your carb!! It ain't smart & it'll EAT YOUR ENGINE ALIVE! Get a highboy filter with a low restriction paper or a K&N element & your engine will say, "THANK YOU, KIND SIR!" (I thought I'd heard everything, 'til I just read, "MODEL A'S WERE DESIGNED TO RUN ON DIRT!!!!!) Bill Williamson
Old 03-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
outlaw256

im agreeing with you mr.bill. the reason they didnt run air filters is because of ignorance.they just didnt know.im talking about the average owner.after reading this i jumped on the phone to a old friend. he was there.lol he said that they guys back then didnt really understand what was going on. they just knew that if it would start, they were good.they didnt think about all that crap getting sucked in and what it would do.they use to advertise a air filter for the country folk to make them cars last longer .im just relaying what a man almost 90 told me, cause i sure as he-- wasnt there.lol
outlaw256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw256 View Post
im agreeing with you mr.bill. the reason they didnt run air filters is because of ignorance.they just didnt know.im talking about the average owner.after reading this i jumped on the phone to a old friend. he was there.lol he said that they guys back then didnt really understand what was going on. they just knew that if it would start, they were good.they didnt think about all that crap getting sucked in and what it would do.they use to advertise a air filter for the country folk to make them cars last longer .im just relaying what a man almost 90 told me, cause i sure as he-- wasnt there.lol
IGNORANCE! exactly right!!
Let's not spread & multiply that same ignorance..
Definition: Ignorance: You didn't get no larnin'
Bill W's Ghost
Old 03-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
gilitos

I have wondered if the recommended 500 mile oil change interval was at least partly due to the unfiltered air intake rapidly contaminating the oil with dirt.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
ctlikon0712

I’ve seen many higher dollar cars like the Premier’s and the like from the 20's and 30's that had air filters or oil bath air filters on them. I think it was more of a calculated risk assessment verses cost for Mr. Henry Ford.
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Always Use Air Filters, on Any Engines! Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
VWJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I wasn't gonna' get drug into this, 'til I noticed you misspelled my LAST NAME!
BALDERDASH! BALDERDASH! BALDERDASH! Why would ANYONE try to justify throwin' DIRT through your carb!! It ain't smart & it'll EAT YOUR ENGINE ALIVE! Get a highboy filter with a low restriction paper or a K&N element & your engine will say, "THANK YOU, KIND SIR!" (I thought I'd heard everything, 'til I just read, "MODEL A'S WERE DESIGNED TO RUN ON DIRT!!!!!) Bill Williamson
Sorry about the misspelling Bill, must of had dirt in my eyes, (ah, I mean engine). I promise to never do that again and get my air filter cleaned often . And maybe proof read before posting, ROTFL
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

What's ROTFL? Bill W. ( I don't use acronyms 'cause I'm not up to snuff on them & might offend somebody if I used the wrong one!) Could DSW=don't spell well?
Could DTWE=don't type well either?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
What's ROTFL? Bill W. ( I don't use acronyms 'cause I'm not up to snuff on them & might offend somebody if I used the wrong one!) Could DSW=don't spell well?
Rolling on the floor laughing
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Rolling on the floor laughing
I like you ,Tom,
Too bad we don't live closer! Gregg asked, "Does Tom own that locomotive?" Bill W.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I like you ,Tom,
Too bad we don't live closer! Gregg asked, "Does Tom own that locomotive?" Bill W.
It's the train that is used to re-enact the Golden Spike Ceremony at Promontory Summit, 35 miles north of Promontory Point.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #30
VWJoe

Quote:

Rolling On The Floor Laughing
Old 03-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #31
lschultz

The 31 I's bought has one of them dar air maze filters on it. She leaks a little gas out when I shuts her down thats why I turn the gas off thankfully it don't leak. Only drips for about 28 seconds after I shuts da gas valve. It is on the list to checks the float from what I been reading sounds like I need to add another gasket. Don't leaks when it is running.

I would get down there and ROTFL at Mr B with ya but when I go down I don't get up likes I used to.
2009 Softail Custom (sons)
lschultz is offline   Reply With Quote