Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
foxfire42

Default Shipping paint

The people I bought my A from are trying to send me the touchup paint that they cooldn't find when I picked up the car. They can't find anyone that will ship it. It's hazardous material and flammable. Anyone ship a small amount of paint without any problem? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. BTW, it's a non A color or I'd just have some touchup made locally.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Shipping paint

Package it so the top can't pop off, wrap it in thick layers of bubble wrap, and send UPS ground. Just don't tell them its a small amount of paint, I wouldn't worry as long as its not an aerosol can.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

UPS
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Dave72dt

Unless it's a custom color, it has a color code. Most paint suppliers have an interchange so they can mix it. Even a custom color mix should have had the formula written down so it could be remixed if needed.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
old car guy

Make sure that the shipper thoroughly wraps and seals the paint. They can go to any auto paint store and get the clips to seal the tops of the can to the sides. Do not allow them just to trow it in a box and ship it to you. I made a mistake a while back and ordered some paint off of Ebay, the shipper did mail it out . I got some of it ok and some never showed up at all, but the phone call and the certified letter came from usps. It seems that the boxing was very poor and while being moved in the sorting area the postal employee came into contact with some of the paint that was shipped to me by spillage from the box. The employee needed medical help according to the Postal inspector and I was grilled rather harshly about my involvement in the shipping of the paint items to me. I explained that I was just the buyer and that I had not shipped the mdse and I agreed with them that it was some of the most sorry boxing I have ever seen. It really got oout of hand the postal worker sued the shipper. And I even had to give a phone diposition to clear mr involvement in the shipping of the paint. Short answer if your going to ship the touch up paint to you make certain that its packed so a tank can roll over it I made the decision that any paint that I need now comes from a local store no matter how much it costs. Good Luck
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
dfish2931nc

Send a message via ICQ to dfish2931nc

I have received gallons of paint from Eastwood through UPS.
dfish2931nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
CarlG

If the shipper knows how to ship it, it's usually not a problem. I bought a quart of engine paint from one of the suppliers and it had the clips on the lid, can wrapped in a sealed plastic bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, then double boxed. Arrived A-OK ! (thru USPS) I don't remember if it was properly marked per CFR49, but the packaging met the requirements.

Last edited by CarlG; 03-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Georgew48

Take it from someone who has was a hazardous materials instructor for a major cargo airline for 15 years and a qualified aircraft loadmaster in the Air Force for 30 years, you do not want to knowingly ship a hazardous material with out the proper shipping papers, in the proper container and marked and labeled as per title 49 of the code of federal regulations. To do so will subject you to a heavy fine and jail time. The feds have been clamping down on these violations for the last few years and will catch you. If the item should leak and cause an injury or damage an aircraft or truck then the fines and jail time go up. I could post numerous cases where this has happened. Whe I use to teach pilot classes, I would always tell them not to worry about the packages that are marked as hazardous material because those shippers have been trained and are doing it right. The packages that are not marked are the ones to worry about because you have no idea what's in them. You put the entire shipping industry at risk when you do not properly ship hazardous materials. Lives have been lost because of people either not knowing or knowing and not careing about properly shipping hazardous materials.

Sorry for the lecture but this is a serious problem in the transportation industry and you don't want to be part of it.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

UPS ground. I have done it several times !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Jamie86

I agree with Georgew48. I've been hauling hazmat for years. Do it the right way and save yourself the serious problems that could come your way.
Jamie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
rex1927

Just ship it and say it is auto parts.You would need a blow torch to make paint burn.
Just more crazy regulations.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex1927 View Post
Just ship it and say it is auto parts.You would need a blow torch to make paint burn.
Speaking of crazy regulations, did you hear that Coke and Pepsi are changing the additive for their coloring or they would have to label they product a cancer risk?
Yea,
"A consumer would have to consume well over a thousand cans of soda a day to reach the doses administered in the studies that have shown links to cancer in rodents," the FDA tells WebMD.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
Georgew48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex1927 View Post
Real bad advice that could land someone in jail. All UPS, FedEx, DHL and other shipping companies train their employees to be on the look out for packages that could contain undeclared Haz Mat. Auto parts is at the top of the list for packages to be on the look out for. Failure to declare a haz mat knowingly is a criminal offense and will get you jail time as well as a major fine. My company had a shipper out of Stockton Ca. That wanted to ship a haz mat that was not allowed in our system. Our agent told him no so he took it back to his shop and the owner told him to repackage it and marke it as a machine part. He returned to our office and tried to ship it again. Our agent remembered him and ask if it was hazardous material in the box and was told know. Shipping companies are allowed to open and inspect any suspect packages and that is what happened with this one. Our agent turn the packahge over to the Feds after they saw that it contained undeclared haz mat. The Owner of the company was given a six year jail sentence and a 1 million dollar fine. All you need to do is go to the FAA site and read about all the fines that have been given for undeclared or impropely marked/labeled haz mat packages. I have had to testify at trials regarding haz mat shippments.

Take it for what's it's worth.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote