Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Water Pump Leaking

I started my '31 coupe for the first time this spring after having it stored away for the winter. I noticed it was slowly leaking/dripping antifreeze from the water pump pack nut.

Should I replace the pack nut and seal kit or is this an indication that the water pump is bad?

Thanks!
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Water Pump Leaking

If you have an original type of water pump give it a pump of grease ( just 1, otherwise the grease goes into the radiator) and tighten the packing, on my car it took 10 years to get fully bedded in --I had to tighten the packing a few times in the first 10 years, now it is about every 4-5 years.

If you have one of the "leakless" pumps it has turned into a leaks more pump, it probably will need parts, or replacement.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
'31 Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
If you have an original type of water pump give it a pump of grease ( just 1, otherwise the grease goes into the radiator) and tighten the packing, on my car it took 10 years to get fully bedded in --I had to tighten the packing a few times in the first 10 years, now it is about every 4-5 years.

If you have one of the "leakless" pumps it has turned into a leaks more pump, it probably will need parts, or replacement.
It's the original type water pump. How tight should I tighten packing nut? Do I need to get the special packing nut wrench or would a channel locks or crescent wrench work?

Thanks for the input. I'll try to tighten it before I go and buy new parts for it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

Just tight enough to stop the drip.

If it is all the way tight you just back off and add another ring of packing.( packing nut touching housing)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Richard Wilson

"Do I need to get the special packing nut wrench or would a channel locks or crescent wrench work?"

Easier to use a medium size blade screw driver.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

A screwdriver works, but the correct wrench works much better. For packing, be sure to use the lead packing rings sold by the Model A parts houses, and pack grease around the lead rings as you install them. Tighten the packing nut as Kurt mentioned. When I rebuilt my water pump 10 years ago I had to adjust it 2 or 3 times in the first week or two, but haven't touched it in the past 5 years, except to grease it twice. I packed grease around the two new lead packing rings and the pump hasn't leaked a drop since I installed it 5 years ago.

It's rebuilt exactly as original, but on all future rebuilds I will use the rear brass bushing with a double lip seal, to keep grease from entering the coolant.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
RHD

Hi Tom.
Are you running a stainless or straight steel shaft?
I want to run a stainless shaft but I was worrying about the lead packing being a bit severe on the stainless. I always pack with grease.
Any ideas?
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD View Post
Hi Tom.
Are you running a stainless or straight steel shaft?
I want to run a stainless shaft but I was worrying about the lead packing being a bit severe on the stainless. I always pack with grease.
Any ideas?
I've used both with good results. If I remember correctly the shaft in my pump is the original shaft and impellor. I've rubbed oil on the shaft to keep it from rusting when it sets for 6 months over the winter.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Jason in TX

31-Patina. Tighten the packing nut with the car running.

Stand on the passenger side, use a flat head screw driver, insert into packing nut tooth and use the water pump body as leverage and push down on the screwdriver handle, turning the packing nut clockwise just a little bit to see if the leaking stops. If not, you may need more packing material in there.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
'31 Patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
31-Patina. Tighten the packing nut with the car running.

Stand on the passenger side, use a flat head screw driver, insert into packing nut tooth and use the water pump body as leverage and push down on the screwdriver handle, turning the packing nut clockwise just a little bit to see if the leaking stops. If not, you may need more packing material in there.

Okay...so I went to tighten the packing nut and I turned it clockwise about a 1/4 turn and it was still leaking. I went to tighten it a bit more and when I turned the nut it went loose as if it was stripped. I finger tightend the nut and then again was able to tighten it with a screw driver about a 1/4 turn and the nut did the same thing...went loose. Is it stripped or is it because I need more packing? I haven't added any packing yet.

Should I get new packing and a new nut and see if that works or is this a sign that I'll need to get a new water pump?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by '31 Patina View Post
Okay...so I went to tighten the packing nut and I turned it clockwise about a 1/4 turn and it was still leaking. I went to tighten it a bit more and when I turned the nut it went loose as if it was stripped. I finger tightend the nut and then again was able to tighten it with a screw driver about a 1/4 turn and the nut did the same thing...went loose. Is it stripped or is it because I need more packing? I haven't added any packing yet.

Should I get new packing and a new nut and see if that works or is this a sign that I'll need to get a new water pump?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Sounds like it's stripped. Could be either part, or both parts.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Clem Clement

Is the bearing turning?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Ed in Maine

I can't emphasize enough not to over grease the inner bearing on the water pump. The grease goes right into the coolant and then the radiator core. I finally had to take the tank off of the radiator and rod it out. Many tubes were packed with grease and it would be impossible to clean out the radiator with a cleaner or flushing. I now remove the water pump, grease it and clean it up and reinstall the pump every couple of years. It is easier to change a pump bushing if necessary than taking the top off of a radiator. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote