Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
dorvedahl47pu

Default 4 Speed Leak Situation

Good evening,

My 40 one-ton 4 speed has leaked from the rear end of the countergear cluster shaft since I have had it. I decided I would try to see if I could fix it. I tried tightening some bolts on the rear of the bearing retainer and busted the head off the bolt that (didn't know at the time) was holding the "key" in place for the countergear cluster shaft slot. I took it for a spin and everything seemed fine until I got some clanging shifting into third. I limped home in second. I pulled the cover and everything looked and moved as it should inside and the shifter was ok. The next day I noticed that the shaft had come out the back of the tranny by about an inch. After much (maybe not enough) pondering, I decided to see if I could get the shaft back in. I "carefully" knocked it back in with a small sledge and then rigged up a way to hold the shaft in place. I then changed the tranny fluid and I now have leaks on both ends of the shaft...fast leaks. I figure I will have to pull it to fix it. Any idea what might need to be replaced?
dorvedahl47pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:38 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: 4 Speed Leak Situation

I would remove transmission and take it apart I have seen this before when a shaft slips out and it was tapped back in but if it has shims / washers most likely fell out to the bottom. If that thick gear oil picks this washer up you now will have a lock up. Be safe
take it apart or look it up to see if this has shims or not. Maybe VanPelts has a picture break down.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Mac VP

Those shafts have a “push fit” as you slide them into the case from the rear, until you get to the last 1/2” inch or so. The shafts were machined with a slightly bigger diameter on the rear end so that they have a tight fit into the case. You have to align the “flats” on the shafts to face upwards so that they can be secured by the lock plate. If you didn’t feel that tightness on sliding them in the last one half inch, I would guess that the case might be cracked. This would also account for the oil leaking. I would pull the transmission, remove all the gears, and inspect it carefully back there. We may have some of the cases in our core stock.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
dorvedahl47pu

Thank you gentlemen. I will pull and see what the situation is. It did seem snug the last inch or so putting it back in. Leakage on the front end likely means something up there needs fixin so I suppose I might as well check it out and get some parts ordered. I've got a list made up of likely Vanpelt candidates ready....
Old 09-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
supereal

Most transmissions where the cluster shaft enters the box at the rear will leak there. When we overhaul such a box, we coat the rear end of the shaft with Loctite. We learned that trick back in my Model A days when such leaks were common. At that time, there was an accessory cap sold to contain the oil, so it has been around a long time.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
dorvedahl47pu

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Most transmissions where the cluster shaft enters the box at the rear will leak there. When we overhaul such a box, we coat the rear end of the shaft with Loctite. We learned that trick back in my Model A days when such leaks were common. At that time, there was an accessory cap sold to contain the oil, so it has been around a long time.
Thank you. That is good info.