Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
wex65

Default Freshening up under the hood, paint question

I have the motor out of the wife's 55 Thunderbird and whilst the engine bay is empty (well, after I remove the remaining 20 other items!) I am thinking of putting some torch red into the bay to have it match the body. The prior owner decided matt black looked better(?!).

My question is this. I am no paint expert although I have performed a couple of small projects. Any recommendations for paint type for under the hood? The body itself was painted and color cut in the last 5-6 years and looks very fresh. Just looking to have it look 'respectable', not looking to bring it to pebble beach...
wex65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Freshening up under the hood, paint question

Assuming the car is the correct color, you can just have more mixed. My local paint shops can even put it in a rattle can if I don't want to drag the paint gun out for a small job.

I did the underhood area last summer, same reason, the motor was out. Lots of degreaser, wiped down with wax and grease remover. Blue painters masking tape, masking paper (I've had paint bleed thru newspaper). My other favorite for masking the brake and fuel lines is aluminum foil. You just crumple it on, put a couple layers, much easier around the frame and suspension than tape. Buy the cheap house brand at WalMart. You're probably going to want some flat and semi gloss black for the steering box, frame, etc. if it's already black, do that first, saves on masking.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
packrat5
BANNED

There is nothing wrong with doing it with a matched spray can. But, you have to scratch up the surface for the paint to stick. A cheapo easy way is use a scotch-brite pad in a medium grade. A much better way is get some sanding compound in a tube at your paint supply store. It goes under a generic description as "sand-fix". This scratches the paint surface properly, and also prepares and etches it at the same time. Wash it down good with water after, and it's ready to paint. Remember here, grease and oil is your enemy. Even dirty hands . Also wear rubber gloves when using this stuff, as it has a mild acid in it. It's not powerful enough to harm anything, but even a short exposure will make your hands shriveled and tingly. Do not use any other cleaner after this operation. It is now ready to paint. Of course it goes without saying the oil and grease must be removed first. Just use mineral spirits for that.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
wex65

Thanks guys, the wife is away for a week so I might take the plunge this week. Strip everything out from under there and start masking.

I found the paint code and will run to the paint store this afternoon to get a quart.

I bought the complete Thunderbird Restoration and Specifications Manual from the Classic Thunderbird Club and will use that to try to work out what SHOULD be red and what shouldn't.

As for other finishes, I hope that will guide me too. I will take a few before/after shots in the event it helps others. Good tip on taking care of the frame first. Looking at photos in the restoration manual it appears the steering box is a plain (cast iron) color? I assume the frame to be semi gloss black.

PS: My original question related more to SS or BC/CC paint. I think I will go with single stage for ease of application and the fact it is under the hood.

Last edited by wex65; 03-16-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
frank long island

use a single stage urethane and wear a respirator the chemicals in this stuff will kill you mask anything you don't want to paint including the rest of the car and anything in your garage you can use the disposable plastic drop cloths and buy good tape or you will be remasking while your painting
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
Ford blue blood

2X the single stage urethane, properly mixed and applied to a clean scuffed surface it will provide years of trouble free, stain resistant finish.

I would recommend a sealer be applied prior to the finish color or if you have it, urethane primer mixed 4 - 3 - 1.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
y'sguy

The Tbird frame should be gloss, not semi. or satin. Not abig deal to me either way since you're not going Concours. A lot of good advise has already been given.
My advise-find a place to STOP!. It's really easy to keep on going and - well, "I've fixed that I might as well replace this…and it never ends.
Enjoy.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
wex65

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
The Tbird frame should be gloss, not semi. or satin. Not abig deal to me either way since you're not going Concours. A lot of good advise has already been given.
My advise-find a place to STOP!. It's really easy to keep on going and - well, "I've fixed that I might as well replace this…and it never ends.
Enjoy.
You are right, I started by emptying the ashtray and now the motor is being rebuilt...
Old 03-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
Enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wex65 View Post
You are right, I started by emptying the ashtray and now the motor is being rebuilt...
wex65 You can do my engine bay next. I started with changing spark plugs, and did an engine & transmission rebuild. I think the rear leaf springs are on the list too, along with all the front suspension bushings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0720141639a.jpg (63.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-16-2015 at 06:35 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
Jimz Bird

"I found the paint code..."

I have thought that if I need to get a match for touch-up paint I would take the gas filler door off and take it in to be scanned. Easier to carry and protect than the hood.
Jimz Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
wex65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
wex65 You can do my engine bay next. I started with changing spark plugs, and did an engine & transmission rebuild. I think the rear leaf springs are on the list too, along with all the front suspension bushings.

Looks similar except the under hood area is matt black, looks ghastly.

Stripping ancillaries today and hope to have it in primer tonight or tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wex65 View Post
Looks similar except the under hood area is matt black, looks ghastly.
Stripping ancillaries today and hope to have it in primer tonight or tomorrow.
Good luck with yours.
I should feel grateful and get started on mine, it looks to be mostly cleanup except under the brake booster where brake fluid ate the paint on the inner fender.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
zoegrant

That is a great idea about using the tin foil...I will use that idea....thanks...J in CT
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote