Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Bruce

Default Brake Cross Shaft Bushings

I vaguely remember several years ago a tech article (I think it was titled, The Grease Fitting Ford Forgot) that indicated the roundy part of the bushing should be greased. Instructions for drilling and tapping the bottom bracket for a zerk fitting were included. Some of the parts houses may have stocked brackets already equipped with the fittings.
The brake cross shaft on my Roadster is worn at the bushings. New (solid, not split) brass bushings don't fit tight. They aren't sloppy, but no way is it a press fit. If I just bolt it back together, the bushings are NOT going to turn in the brackets. The shaft will turn in the bushings.
How do you fix the bushing on the shaft, if the bushing is suposed to turn. Or, how do you grease the shaft where it goes through the brass if the shaft is to turn in the bushing? And, depending on the concensus, how do those split bushings work?
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: Brake Cross Shaft Bushings

You will need to build up the shaft ends with weld and then have them turned to fit the bushings. Jon
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Pilotdave

I would expect that the shaft would turn in the bushings. And that the bushings should be a press fit in the bracket - and not turn in the bracket.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
dave in australia

The bracket clamps the bush, and the shaft turns inside the bush.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Chris in CT

Hi Bruce, Both Daves above are correct, the shaft turns inside the bushing. The bushing is round so that it is self-aligning between the two frame rails. Any twisting or flexing of the rails will not cause the brake shaft to bind, which of course, could be fatally dangerous in a situation where the alignment between those two rails was fixed, and therefore unforgiving! Happy Motoring...
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

The bushings are NOT intended to rotate in the brackets. The bushings are cylindrical so they can twist as the frame twists instead of being locked perpendicular to the frame rail. Without this there would be tension on the cross shaft any time the frame twists which ultimately could make the brakes bind up.

For this same reason the article written about the grease fitting that Ford forgot (or something like that) was not one of the best thought out suggestions I've ever seen in writing. That is being overly diplomatic!

Ok, I see Chris said essentially the same since I forgot to hit "submit" a couple hours ago, but...
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

I forgot to add a point of interest. The wear on the shaft has little impact on brake performance even though some may suggest otherwise. HOWEVER, it is one of those things that contributes greatly to the "rattle trap" syndrome that gives Model A's a bad rap.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
gpits68

i believe,according to my notes,a restoring the model A cross shaft article,to include adding a grease fitting can be found in the may/june 2005 restorer and the sept/oct 2011 restorer according to my notes.
gpits68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
RonC

Weren't the original bushings lined with a webbing material inside? Not solid. I would think you wouldn't need lubrication and they wouldn't rattle until worn out
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Bruce

Thanks for the AHHA moment, guys. So that's why the bushings are round! Those wily Ford engineers thought of everything.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Weren't the original bushings lined with a webbing material inside? Not solid. I would think you wouldn't need lubrication and they wouldn't rattle until worn out
Yes, it's woven like cotton webbing but I'm not sure of the actual composition. It's well compressed and has some anti-friction characteristics whether it's something woven in or impregnated with something. Whatever it its it's the same as the upper steering column bushing.

The cross shaft bushings were produced in both die-cast zinc and steel. They had a lip to contain the liner which would be the first point of contact for the beginning of a rattle.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
hardtimes

Bruce,
As an alternative durable approach...without grease: I found worn shaft as you did. Had shaft cleaned round and pressed on this stainless polished sleeve...upon which brass/bronze bushing rides. Will last several lifetimes without wearing out and no grease and no fittings...to gather road grime and get 'points' deducted as it's unnoticable and noise free.

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-01-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: add..
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote