Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2024, 04:11 PM   #21
Lhead

Default Re: (Best) copper head gasket and offenhauser aluminum heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have never had ANY overheating issues with any of the flatheads I have built. Some had copper Felpros, most were Best composite, all gaskets used as they came from the package and all ran thermostats, some aluminum some iron heads. In fact, when I fired up my avatar roadster for the first time, I hadn't put the thermostats in yet and it wouldn't get above 110 degrees and ran like crap, once above 150 with stats it ran great. These 8 or 9 engines were all either stock 3 1/16 24 stud motors for concourse or 59 series with merc cranks, Ross pistons with metric rings and 2 97s or 2 81s or Holley 4 bbls and mild cams. Blocks were either NOS or Redi-stripped and completely clean of sand and crap from the foundry. I know the desire to make things better is large but when everything is the way it is supposed to be (airflow, fan, timing, F/A mixture) I don't believe modifying the head gasket holes will make any actual difference in a street driven situation. If you are doing Bonneville and 6000+ RPM maybe it would. I have never blown a head gasket or needed to replace one either, so I don't grease them. That is my experience, my 1st car was a Model A I put a 24 stud engine in when I was 12 and I'm 74 now.
Thanks
I do have an untouched composite on standby just in case its another problem entirely .Drove the car for 30 years ran 180 max until pssenger side spiked. Found all kinds of crap stuck in the block at the rear water jacket.
Lhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:59 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhead View Post
Thanks
I do have an untouched composite on standby just in case its another problem entirely .Drove the car for 30 years ran 180 max until pssenger side spiked. Found all kinds of crap stuck in the block at the rear water jacket.
Yes, very common and you got to get that out for sure.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:01 PM   #23
Ronnieroadster

Since you found the crap at the rear of the block that's an example of lack of proper coolant flow. Another reason I always open up the coolant holes in head gaskets especially at the lower rear of the block. And between the cylinders at the lower edge of the deck as well.

I'm only 71 years old but still thinking about how to improve the Ford flathead so we can enjoy them well into this 21st century.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote