Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
tubman

Default 8 volt batteries

Since there have been a few posts lately touting 8 volt batteries, I've been doing a little research. All of them that I've seen that will fit these cars are 520 CCA. This is logical, given the fact that 4 cells have to fit into the space of 3 in a regular 6 volt battery. There are other 8 volt golf cart batteries that have more capacity, but they are way too large. A balance has to be struck between size, voltage, and cranking capacity. Unless you use a different technology, something has to give. With an 8 volt battery, it appears to be cranking capacity (amperage). It looks like an Optima with 800 CCA and the proper cables and connections are probably the way to go. No fooling around increasing the output of the generator, and the attendant problems.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Fortunateson

Default Re: 8 volt batteries

Is that Optima you mention 8 volts? Just for clarification...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
koates

The optima battery that tubman mentions is a 6 volt battery. Optima don't make an 8 volt battery. The optima 6 volt battery is the strongest and longest lasting you can buy and worth the extra cost. Regards, Kevin.
koates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Mike51Merc

I don't understand why anyone would try an 8 volt battery to solve 6 volt problems. If you're that unhappy it's easier to just go to 12 volts and be done with it.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
RKS.PA

When I first got my '47, it had an 8 volt battery....and the Ford radio didn't work. One of my first projects was to get the radio in working order. The gentleman who rebuilt it told me that 8 volts will "fry" the works! So, having spent a "tidy" sum on the radio, I set about to get the electronics back to 6 volts. I've always had great luck with 6 volt Optima batteries. Rebuilding the ignition and carb, put the car in great shape and she starts now better than the 8 volt was supposed to fix.

Will 8 volts harm an original Ford radio? I'm not sure, but I'm very happy with what I have now and, for me, a change to 12 volts isn't necessary.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Vic Piano

I've always thought of 8 volt batteries as a band-aid. If a 6 volt vehicle is slow cranking, etc. I'd look at the grounds, size of cables, condition of coil, etc. The other possibility for the problem is low compression. I have a 50/50 mix of Flatheads some are 6 volt positive ground and others are 12 volt negative ground for various reasons. If the 6 volt system is up to par, you'll have no problems starting the car.