Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Pilot31135

Default Did Ford make Canadian heads

Did Ford make heads in Canada? I always thought they would be Mercury. I'm not near my books and manuals, so maybe someone can fill me in

"Are you ignorant or apathetic? I don't know and I don't care."
Pilot31135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Pilot31135

Default Re: Did Ford make Canadian heads

For those in the know, I just PMed Ole' Ron. He knows most all there is.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
glennsanders

Ford trucks were sold in Canada also
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
tubman

Isn't your post an oxymoron?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
RalphG

Pretty sure all my Ford/Mercury stuff is built in Canada.
EAC heads on the 52 Merc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc EAC head.jpg (61.2 KB, 53 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Windsor, Ontario manufactured a lot of cars and engines
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Byron Warwick

Here is a close -up of one of my heads, on an 8BA head.
Byron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Close uup name.jpg (48.9 KB, 120 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Pilot31135

I guess I knew Ford had a Windsor plant, but forgot somehow. I always thought mostly Mercury sold in Canada and any Ford shipped from USA. "I missed it by that much."

Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Actually it was likely the other way around, at least for Mercury cars. A lot of Mercury cars for Canada were produced in the US. Mercury trucks were a Canada only thing. The Mercury made in US also had a transition to the Monarch car and that was done in Canada. The Meteors were all made in Canada and may have been made along with the shoe box Fords that they were patterned after. Trucks were made in Oakville, Ontario at some point but I'm not sure when that started.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #10
Randy in ca

Do a search - lots of info in old threads.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
danliveshere

The answer is yes. And Ford marketed its cars as British Empire product around the commonwealth countries around the world including here in Australia.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Viv W

There are Ford Model T's and Model A's in this country with made in Canada cast in the heads. It would be interesting to know when Ford cast their first heads both in Canada and USA.
I think the very early heads were cast by Dodge brothers in USA until about 1912??
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
rotorwrench

It would not surprise me about the Dodge brothers. They invested pretty heavily in Ford Detroit and manufactured a lot of parts for them. I've seen several model Ts with steering columns that have the Dodge brothers trade mark.

The Ford of Canada organization was not as much a part of the Ford Detroit across the river as it was a sort of franchise organization that gave Henry enough shares that they could share in his manufacturing rights. This started in 1904 with the Model C so it predated the model T era by 5-years. I'm sure they started a foundry early on so they could manufacture their own line of cars patterned after the Ford Detroit counterparts. This was back when it was Walkerville, Ontario which became a part of Windsor as things grew. The South African Ford division was part of Ford Canada as a Commonwealth assembly plant.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It would not surprise me about the Dodge brothers. They invested pretty heavily in Ford Detroit and manufactured a lot of parts for them. I've seen several model Ts with steering columns that have the Dodge brothers trade mark.

The Ford of Canada organization was not as much a part of the Ford Detroit across the river as it was a sort of franchise organization that gave Henry enough shares that they could share in his manufacturing rights. This started in 1904 with the Model C so it predated the model T era by 5-years. I'm sure they started a foundry early on so they could manufacture their own line of cars patterned after the Ford Detroit counterparts. This was back when it was Walkerville, Ontario which became a part of Windsor as things grew. The South African Ford division was part of Ford Canada as a Commonwealth assembly plant.
How long did that last? My 41 is Canadian, was it part of Ford in 41?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
DavidG

Yes, Ford of Canada was part of Ford worldwide in 1941 and still manufacturing although at that point Canada had been at war for two years and its production was largely devoted to military vehicles. Today Ford of Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company (U.S.). A major assembly plant, castings plant and engine plant make up Ford's manufacturing operations in Canada at present.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Those last shares of the minority stockholders were bought out by US Ford in 2003 but it took 3 more years for settlement of that purchase through the Canadian courts. Ford Motor Company still operates plenty of its holdings in Canada. A very big chunk of FoMoCo's raw materials have come from Canada over the past 80 years or so.

In all respects, the cars made in Canada were very much Ford cars in design and technology. Most parts are interchangeable with Ford Detroit. Ford Canada made a lot of right hand drive stuff that was sent all over the Commonwealth and elsewhere when requested. The North American factions have always been pretty tightly bound to each other since they supplied each other both ways. The Dagenham-UK, French, and German Ford factions did a lot of there own thing for necessity if nothing else. Europe has always had its own needs to deal with and large cars were not practical for the most part. Natural resources are not as abundant in some areas as they are in others
Old 09-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
Viv W

I have just been looking at a list I have of Canadian Ford production prepared by Herman L Smith, historical consultant, Ford Motor Company of Canada March 1980.
He States " In the early years Ford Motor Company of Canada LTD purchased motors from Ford US. Production of motors in Canada started on the 20th of May 1913".
So there you have it .
By the way it is little known, but Ford also had an assembly plant in Japan building Ford A's and V8's up until WW2.
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #18
rotorwrench

Ford and GM cars sent to Japan in the 20s & 30s were knock down cars reassembled in Japan. In 1936, the Japanese government required all manufacturers that produced more than 3000 units per year to acquire a licence to produce and the regulations for licencing were a strict policy of home manufacture of components. This severely limited production of knock down vehicle assembly. It effectively halted foreign production by 1940 since they couldn't pay for the cost of shipping with so few models produced and the Japanese government was already nationalizing industry very much like the Germans did prior to WWII. Ford sent some flathead V8s to Japan but none were ever made there.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #19
Tienmac

Yes, Ford Motor Company of Canada made their own flathead engines for the Ford and Mercury cars and trucks made in Canada. My '51 Ford F-1 truck was built in Windsor Ontario and has the correct "8BA" heads Made in Canada. I have a cylinder head from a '53 F-100 which is marked "8RT" which is correct for Ford and Mercury trucks built in Canada from 1952 to 1954 according to my FoMoCo of Canada Chassis Parts Catalogues. Ford of Canada also made Aluminum cylinder heads for the flathead in the 1940's. Ford and Mercury pickups in Canada were only available with the flathead V8 until replaced by the Y-block in 1955. From 1948 to 1954 all 1/2 tons came with the 239 cu. in flathead. The larger 255 cu. in. Mercury flathead was only used in Mercury cars and M-5 and M-6 trucks in 1952 and M-500 and M-600 trucks in 1953 and 1954.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
Newc

Hi all; My avatar is a '42 Ford Canadian Military Pattern 3ton, Cab Style 13. flathead V8
there were cabs of 11,12,and13 mfg'd from '38 thru 45. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote