Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
jrd-28

Default PPG paint codes?

Hi all. Can anybody point me at a reference for PPG paint codes?

I have

IM438 Niagara Blue Light
IM439 Niagara Blue Dark
IM586 French Gray
IM1700 Black

I've tried a couple of local PPG dealers with those codes, and they can't find anything in their computers. I suspect codes have been updated.

Any hints appreciate. Thanks in advance.
jrd-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: PPG paint codes?

Yes you are right, the formulas have been changed,if available at all if looking for lacquer . I was able to get paint from auto color library in there restoration series paint.Available in lacquer, enamel, and also the newer 2 step paint finishes. I think in California it is illegal to sell lacquer due to air pollution control,remember seeing a post where a California residence had a friend out of state to get lacquer from. The newest Paint and Finish guide available from the Model A Ford Clubs has chips that supposed to be matched by a local paint store, but lacquer has been discontinued by major paint suppliers. Good luck , I am sure that there will be more response on the post.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
jrd-28

Thanks. I'd prefer enamel. Yes, I know the original was lacquer, but I find it too fiddly.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
PalAl

Would this help?

https://www.modelaclub.com/wp-conten...Code-Chart.jpg

https://www.macsautoparts.com/pit-st...-paint-colors/
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
gdmn852

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/ They have IM codes from original color chips .
Old 04-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The codes won't help unless they track to a color formula with modern color names. Codes were fine back when all those old paints were still available. None of the old paints from what used to be Dupont or the original Ditzler enamels or lacquers are even made any more. To make it more interesting, even the color names have changed.

A formula that is based on basic color mixing paint such as Red, Blue, or Yellow or the tints such as black, white, silver, or gold might get close to some old color name long ago forgotten by the industry.

A sample for matching to modern colors is and always will be the only way to quickly match a color. If someone has matched a color within the last decade using modern codes and a working formula then that may get a person in the ballpark.

I've heard both good and bad about TCP Global but unfortunately, they are about the only source that tries to supply old colors.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-06-2022 at 10:54 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
gdmn852

Hello again, as you mentioned the auto color library is one of the few that try to match older colors. I had them match up the Sunmist Gray on my 49 Buick and it turned out well, even it was the 2 step base color and clear. This is a high metallic color that was prone to be buff out badly, Buick only used it as an exterior color for a few months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB4D33AF-DDB0-49A8-A8D6-0878EF57A8CF.jpg (75.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

Check your private messages in the top right corner of this webpage.
M.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #9
Russ B

A few years ago I googled 1929 ford Andulusite Blue and got the PPG code. The paint distributor printed out the formula for the paint line used for where I live. I did a few spray outs to see what it looked like, and adjusted the formula a bit. My paint is now Andulusite Blue No. 5.

Close enough for me. It is not restored to original, so it hardly matters, but I doubt most judges could tell it is not the original formula.

The main point is that you should not have great difficulty finding the paint formula you want.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #10
hazelhoff

Jrd-28. I had the same problem: no paint formulas available. PPG in Holland were so nice to reproduce them for me (using their USA lab.)
I happen to possess the formulas for Andalusite Blue, Niagara Light, Moulding Gray, French Grey, Black.
These formulas were for waterbased lacquer originally, but PPG were so kind to regenerate them for me modern in2K-mode, solvent based.
Obviously the formulas are based on Ruropean components. Just PM me if yiu are interested !
Henk
Old 04-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #11
townsedan29

the offset formulas codes I have are ppg niagara blue lt 13637 niagara blue dk 15976 franch gray 31759 and black if using single stage is dcc 9300 these are offset formulas and may need tinting
townsedan29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
vangogh

Hi,

Antique repainting manual by Lincoln Publishing has the original formulas and great directions to do it.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #13
jrd-28

Thanks everyone for all the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsedan29 View Post
the offset formulas codes I have are ppg niagara blue lt 13637 niagara blue dk 15976 franch gray 31759 and black if using single stage is dcc 9300 these are offset formulas and may need tinting

I tried these codes out on a local PPG dealer. Most of them make sense, but 15976 comes up as a 1985 VW Golf color called "Deep Cosmic Blue". I dug up a pic of it, and it does look similar to the pix I've seen of "Niagara Blue Dark", but it's hard to tell on a computer screen. You're sure that's the modern translation?

Thanks again . . .
Old 04-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #14
gdmn852

A collective your welcome, on my 31 I am thinking of black with Apple green wheels, only have 4 colors to choose from, probably PPG , currently it’s an incorrect green.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd-28 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info!

I tried these codes out on a local PPG dealer. Most of them make sense, but 15976 comes up as a 1985 VW Golf color called "Deep Cosmic Blue". I dug up a pic of it, and it does look similar to the pix I've seen of "Niagara Blue Dark", but it's hard to tell on a computer screen. You're sure that's the modern translation?
So the Cosmic Blue does not have metallic in it? If so, that ain't gonna work is it??

I have the paint codes for PPG's DCC line for those colors. The French Gray will likely need to be custom mixed in striping enamel to match the color chips in the Paint & Refinish Manual. The Black needs to cross over to either DCC9300 (-my preference) or DCC9700 if you want to use DCC line.

It is my opinion that if you are seeking authentic colors, you need to first order the latest revision of the Paint & Refinish Guide sold by either national Model-A club. Then, you need to find a PPG paint jobber that uses the PPG Prophet color matching analyzer and let them mix to your choice using the chips from the P&RG book. Additionally, a good PPG Jobber also has access to their own formula database which corporate can help them in giving them those formulas based on the latest toners they have available.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5863.jpg (49.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6233.jpg (64.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6264.jpg (45.3 KB, 36 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #16
townsedan29

yes the offset list is from ppg they are matched to existing colors not custom mixed meaning close but may need tinting to match model a clubs chips.I have been able to mix them in dcc concept single stage if you want enamel they may be able to do that in the omni line although dcc is acrylic urethane is a higher quality paint what I do is have a few ounces mixed and do a spray out to really see what it looks like hope this helps
townsedan29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:13 PM   #17
JohninKuranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post
Jrd-28. I had the same problem: no paint formulas available. PPG in Holland were so nice to reproduce them for me (using their USA lab.)
I happen to possess the formulas for Andalusite Blue, Niagara Light, Moulding Gray, French Grey, Black.
These formulas were for waterbased lacquer originally, but PPG were so kind to regenerate them for me modern in2K-mode, solvent based.
Obviously the formulas are based on Ruropean components. Just PM me if yiu are interested !
Henk
I was one who benefitted from using these codes on my 35A. I am very grateful to Henk for providing them to me quite a few years ago. Very happy with the how the Andalusite Blue turned out - just the right under current of a deep rich red that you should get when the sunlight is just in the right direction!
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote