Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Ken Arms

Default 6 volt halogen lights

does anyone on the barn use 6 volt halogen taillights? do they really make a difference? Thanks Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: 6 volt halogen lights

Ken I run halogen stop lights and LED tail lights hooked up to the stop light bulb connections so they are bright. The LEDs which are on full time when the lights are on don't draw much current. The halogen bulbs draw a lot of current and get VERY HOT. I also use halogen head light bulbs but 50 or 55 CP draws to many amps and gets hot. 35 CP is much brighter then the stock bulbs and work well with no problems. I don't remember where I got them. They also make them so they fit in the stock bulb sockets. G.M.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Smile Re: 6 volt halogen lights

Hi Ken,
Just wondering if you are the same Ken Arms who was working on a '34 Ford Sedan several years ago? I recall a lot of posts on the engine build I have not seen any posts from you for some time, until maybe just the last month, on the old 'Barn. If you are the same Ken, did you finish that '34?

I bought 6V halogen bulbs for my '35 headlights and taillights from "Classic and Vintage Bulbs". You can go to their website by clicking this http://www.classicbulbs.com/ These bulbs fit right into the stock/original sockets. They claim these bulbs are 50% brighter than the original type bulbs. They definitely light up the roadway a lot better for me. I'm not as concerned now about driving my original '35 at night. High beams really put out the light! As GM states in his post, they will draw more current and probably cause move heating inside the lamps. I set the third brush in my generator to produce maximum current and all works well when I'm running at normal posted speeds. If I am sitting and idling too long, they will cause some drain on the battery. The tail lights seem to be a lot brighter as well. I only have one tail light (std model) and when that brake light comes on, it really lights up the back end of my car. My next mission is to add two extra bolt-on tail lights for an extra set of running, brake and direction signal lights. These extra lights will be easily removed if/when I want to show my car. These halogen bulbs were not cheap, but I sure feel much safer driving at night, and also the boss (my wife) is a lot happier now with the better night time visibility. Anything that keeps her happy is worth paying for in my book. Last year these folks came to Hershey, PA (space C4R 13). So if you go to that show, maybe you can buy the bulbs there, or if not, you can order them on their website and pay a little more in S&H costs. Good luck! JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Ken Arms

Yes same Ken with 34, I tried sending you a private message but I dont know if it worked.
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

I am planning to use 6v Halogen bulbs in my '39. I am also planning to use a 6v one wire alternator, I am wondering, will this provide adequate output to run these lights?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Thumbs up Re: 6 volt halogen lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
Yes same Ken with 34, I tried sending you a private message but I dont know if it worked.
Yes Ken, I did get your personal message. Thank you.
This new Website is VERY VERY cool with all the features that are now available to us. LONG LIVE THE NEW FORD BARN!! Cheers, JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote