Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Larry in Ark.

Default Hot Generator

Ran generator on car today. Seemed awful hot again so I tore it down, pulled the armature. On the back of the armature toward the commutator, it looked like it was rubbing on the field coil shoes. The first thing that would come to my mind would be running out of round but it's got new bushings in the back and new bearings in the front. I installed the field coils. I'm wondering if I didn't get them in true to the armature? Is there a certain way they have to be put in or is there a special tool needed? Any ideas would be appreciated.
By the way, does anybody have a zipper for a generator so I wouldn't have to unbolt it all the time??? Thanks.
Larry in Ark. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
TomW

Default Re: Hot Generator

I know nothing about installing field coils, but once had an armature that rubbed due to a fairly small amount of wear on the bushing end of the armature shaft. I had to have it turned down, and sleeved back to original size.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
john charlton

I think this has been mentioned in previous posts.You must not run the generator not connected to anything. The internal voltage will run sky high, around 35 volts.The generator will get smokey hot and burn out for sure . You must connect it to a 6 volt battery or ground the output to the generator case if you are just checking for smooth rotation etc etc.Grounding to the case doesnt sound right but it prevents the generator "exciting" so no voltage , hence no heat , hence no cooked internals. You most likely know all this but just in case it slipped by.

John in wet cool afternoon England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
criswellnk

I do not know about the model A generator tools, but for the model T generator there was a Go-NoGo gauge/tool that was used to check the proper clearance of the pole shoes to the armature. Everytime that I have rebuilt a genereator or starter (A or T) I have always regular hex head bolts and heavy washers when re-installing the pole shoes and field coils. The bolts allow you to get the pole shoes pulled in tight to the yoke, rather than using the slotted screws. After the pole shoes and field coils have been installed, remove the bolts and replace them with the proper slotted screws, one at a time.
criswellnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in Ark. View Post
Ran generator on car today. Seemed awful hot again so I tore it down, pulled the armature. On the back of the armature toward the commutator, it looked like it was rubbing on the field coil shoes. The first thing that would come to my mind would be running out of round but it's got new bushings in the back and new bearings in the front. I installed the field coils. I'm wondering if I didn't get them in true to the armature? Is there a certain way they have to be put in or is there a special tool needed? Any ideas would be appreciated.
By the way, does anybody have a zipper for a generator so I wouldn't have to unbolt it all the time??? Thanks.
It can be a difficult job removeing and replaceing the field coils. Sometimes the pole shoes don't fit the reproduction field coils like they fit the originals. I have found it necessary in some cases to dress down the edges of the pole shoes to obtain a fit but if you try this be careful not to remove TOO much stock. it does need to be a tight fit. What criswellink says is also good info. Good luck.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Larry in Ark.

Thanks to all for your responses, especially "criswellnk". I'd made an expander tool for the inside of the shoes but never thought about using bolts on the outside so I used the bolts and expander together. It worked great! It really sucked it back. Got it back together, seems like it runs easier. Will put it on the car tomorrow and see what happens.
Larry in Ark. is offline   Reply With Quote