Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
1929 Driver

Default 1929 CC Pickup Steering Wheel Replacement

My girl Emma has what I feel are severe stress cracks around the steering wheel hub. I understand that in order to replace the steering wheel I have to take the inside bracket loose as well as the steering box in order to remove the horn button rod.

I understand that there are two types of wheel - key-way and splined. I would like to buy the steering wheel in advance of taking everything apart so I can put it back together immediately upon disassembly. Emma's engine number is A2285198 with a build date of September 1929. Does this information tell me which steering column / steering wheel was installed?

Thank You, Ken
1929 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
329s

Default Re: 1929 CC Pickup Steering Wheel Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 Driver View Post
My girl Emma has what I feel are severe stress cracks around the steering wheel hub. I understand that in order to replace the steering wheel I have to take the inside bracket loose as well as the steering box in order to remove the horn button rod.

I understand that there are two types of wheel - key-way and splined. I would like to buy the steering wheel in advance of taking everything apart so I can put it back together immediately upon disassembly. Emma's engine number is A2285198 with a build date of September 1929. Does this information tell me which steering column / steering wheel was installed?

Thank You, Ken
No...not unless you know the complete 83 year history of the pickup!

Just remove the clip which is attached to the horn rod at the lower end of the steering column, pull the horn rod upward a bit to determine if the sterring wheel is splined or keyed.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

Ken, sorry I am don't know about what wheel you need. But if you want to take the horn/light switch rod out, do you have enough room to pull it out without hitting the back of the cab? I have heard that there is not enough room but maybe others on the Barn know more about this than I. If there is not enough room, you may have to take the steering column out the do what you want to do.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
1929 Driver

Thanks 329s, excellent idea! Just goes to show you that when you are too close to things, someone else's perspective can save the day.

Fred, unfortunately everyone is in agreement - the column has to come loose so it can be lowered enough to allow the extraction of th horn rod. Thanks,
1929 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Ice man

You will need to move the steering box to replace the steering wheel. I live in the Islands so when I had to replace the top, I had a biminy top made with snaps. It comes off in 2 mins and does not leak. And down here we get rail almost every day, and lots of sun, as you can imagine. But the steering wheel is a snap to remove now.
Pull the light rod up a bit and look at the wheel with the wheel bolt removed. You will then know what wheel to buy. Then when you do the replacement, drop the box one time and do the fix.
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
columbiA

If its a 7-tooth box,the column jacket is welded to the box and the wheel will have a splined hub.If 2-tooth box with jacket clamped to box,it will have a tapered & keyed S W hub.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote