Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2023, 08:20 PM   #21
SoCalCoupe

Default Re: Cylinder Head Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I have authentic brass plugs for this.

Found an acceptable hex head 3/8" NPT brass plug on Amazon and installed it loosely into the head sitting on my office shelf. It's obviously the right choice. It will snug down nicely when I actually install the head on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
The original poster needs to tell us if he really re-tapped the hole because a 5/8 will go in a few threads and then the taper will stop it IF checking by hand and not using a tap wrench

NOOOO! Nothing got re-tapped. Just ran the tap down the hole a few turns with my thumb and forefinger to check the size. No material whatsoever was removed from the head.

There's no substitute for practical experience. Tapping into Ford Barn to gain the benefit is awesome. I don't know what people did before the internet. Guess they just screwed things up a lot more.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:59 PM   #22
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
There's no substitute for practical experience. Tapping into Ford Barn to gain the benefit is awesome. I don't know what people did before the internet. Guess they just screwed things up a lot more.
Yes, the curse of the dreaded previous owner. I got lucky growing up with a dad that worked on old Fords as a hobby, and growing up in the Early Ford V8 Club. I only screwed up some things!
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 05:46 AM   #23
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
NOOOO! Nothing got re-tapped.

There were a lot more telephone calls, letters and activity in the Ford V8 Club too. It is great having the internet though.

"It's interesting to see the confusion "Normal" people" react to mechanical things????
Gramps"
That's for sure!!

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #24
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
There were a lot more telephone calls, letters and activity in the Ford V8 Club too. It is great having the internet though.

"It's interesting to see the confusion "Normal" people" react to mechanical things????
Gramps"
That's for sure!!

Glenn

Good thing we're not "normal" !

Terry (but still confused )

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:32 AM   #25
itslow

From the standpoint of ensuring your aluminum cylinder head isn't the part that corrodes, using an aluminum plug with an anti-seize or other intermediary to prevent galling is the best choice.

Both stainless and brass plugs will induce galvanic corrosion with the aluminum, with a brass plug being slightly worse than the stainless.

If you can't find an aluminum plug a zinc-plated steel one would be a better option, although the exterior of it could develop surface oxidation depending upon the environment in which you live.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:18 PM   #26
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
From the standpoint of ensuring your aluminum cylinder head isn't the part that corrodes, using an aluminum plug with an anti-seize or other intermediary to prevent galling is the best choice.

Both stainless and brass plugs will induce galvanic corrosion with the aluminum, with a brass plug being slightly worse than the stainless.

If you can't find an aluminum plug a zinc-plated steel one would be a better option, although the exterior of it could develop surface oxidation depending upon the environment in which you live.
The brass plug is prettier and more period correct but you're absolutely correct about the corrosion. I'd rather have the plug be the sacrificial anode than the head.

I did purchase an aluminum plug but it screws in with an Allen wrench. Doesn't look quite right. A hex head would look better. Couldn't find one though. All the hex head aluminum plugs were anodized either red, black or blue.

BTW, it never ceases to amaze me why people buy aluminum radiators for steel cars. The thin aluminum is the sacrificial anode rather than thick steel.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #27
tubman

That's what magnesium sacrificial anodes are for.

Check out the Galvanic Table.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:06 PM   #28
Bored&Stroked

Personally, I don't like aluminum plugs in aluminum heads - as they can be very difficult to get back out and aluminum is a soft material. But, do what makes yah happy! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:10 PM   #29
Jack E/NJ

>>The brass plug is prettier and more period correct but you're absolutely correct about the corrosion. I'd rather have the plug be the sacrificial anode than the head.>>>I did purchase an aluminum plug but it screws in with an Allen wrench. Doesn't look quite right. A hex head would look better. Couldn't find one though. All the hex head aluminum plugs were anodized either red, black or blue>>>

Color anodizing can be easily removed with a scouring pad. But if you don't want to scour, you could also use a nylon pipe plug from Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply. Then paste aluminized duct tape on top so it blends in. All kinds of possibilities for artistically plugging your hole.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nylonmpt.jpg (15.0 KB, 63 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #30
Bored&Stroked

"Jack E/NJ;2248981]>>All kinds of possibilities for artistically plugging your hole. "

Jack, this made me a bit nervous . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #31
Drbrown

In discussing the type of plug to use, I think it's worth noting the use of aluminum heads with iron blocks begs the issue of dielectric corrosion between the dissimilar metals. Example: In 1984 Cadillac switched to aluminum heads and the problem of dielectric corrosion surfaced (yes, I have one). They then went back to iron heads. The preventive prescription is to use a coolant with good quality anti-corrosive additives AND TO CHANGE IT about every 3 years since additives become ineffective. You have aluminum heads so the issue of dielectric corrosion is present. If you use a good coolant I suggest that functionally a brass or even black iron plug will work; brass better of the two.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:45 AM   #32
Jack E/NJ

For nervous nylon nellies.

https://www.protolabs.com/resources/...lon-vs-delrin/
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #33
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
That's what magnesium sacrificial anodes are for.

Check out the Galvanic Table.
You can still get localized corrosion at the interface between the two materials.

An anode dangling from the radiator cap can help, but only at a less effective macro level since the conductive path between the two will be so disconnected. Ideally one would put a sacrificial anode each head as well to be truly effective.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote