Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2024, 08:23 PM   #1
Death Row Dave

Default 32 3 window seat

I have finally located enough parts , new springs and all . To assemble a stock seat after 31+years . I need help , how do the seat back springs attach to the frame . Images would be a great help also . Thanks so much and be safe , Dave
Death Row Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:54 PM   #2
BoxCar Tom

Default Re: 32 3 window seat

The seat material wraps over the top of the seat spring and is attached to the back of the seat back frame. The seat spring more or less just hangs off that attachment point. Tension is applied when the seat bottom is installed. FYI, another piece of matching material is attached at that same location as the seat back material, it extends back to the package tray. That piece of material acts as an air block between the passenger compartment and the trunk. This is from my own experience disassembling my 3W and I seem to remember reading similar description probably in David's 32 bible.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:21 PM   #3
Death Row Dave

Are the seat back springs attached to the frame , or just kinda hang there . Seems as it would have to be attached by some means to the frame . Thanks so much for the help . I’m in a jam trying to figure this out . Thanks again and be safe
Old 03-13-2024, 10:41 PM   #4
BoxCar Tom

The seat back spring is not directly attached to the seat frame. The seat back spring is upholstered, the upholstery material is attached to the spring at the bottom and at both sides. The spring that now has the upholstery attached on three sides is put in position in the seat frame, the unattached upholstery is wrapped over the top of the seat spring and the material is attached to the back of the (wood) seat back frame. Good luck n Good Night
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:20 AM   #5
TJ

Some springs have a metal tab attached to the outer rim of the seat spring. There are normally 4 of those tabs (two top and two bottom). The tabs have a hole in them for a small screw to go into the wood frame. The tabs face in towards the coils. If the tabs are missing I have used the small nylon wire clamps on the outer wire frame to anchor the spring to the wood frame. I have found it is very difficult to upholster a seat when the spring can move around on the frame.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:43 PM   #6
DavidG

BosCar Tom is correct. The seat back spring in a '32 deluxe coupe is not attached to the wood seat frame. As he indicates, the upholstery material on the top of the seat back spring is attached to the top of the wood seat frame and then extends rearward to fill the gap between the back of the top of the seat frame and the package tray. There must be sufficient upholstery material to fill the gap when the seat is in the farthest forward position.

One might think that that does not provide much vertical support for the upholstered front seat back, but the very tight fit of the top of the back of the seat bottom cushion beneath the bottom of the back cushion provides ample support.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:33 PM   #7
Death Row Dave

Thank you all so much , very helpful . Be safe in your travels , Dave