Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Skrain

Question Water Vs. Coolant

I have been hearing various opinions about using distilled water, and water pump lube versus using a 50/50 mix of water and etholine glycol coolant in a Model A. Some folks say never use coolant, just distilled H2O and pump lube, since the system has no thermostat, and others say that modern coolants won't hurt anything.
Since I live in an area that does get below freezing temps during the winter, and the Farmer's Almanac says this winter is going to be C-O-L-D!!, I'm wondering which way to go. Would I be better put coolant in the system so I can occasionally drive the car when it's not TOO frigid, then drain the cooling system and flush it out with fresh water in the spring?
Or can I just leave a proper coolant/water mix in him without hurting anything?
Or do I have to drain the system and not drive him until the spring?
Help??
Skrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Water Vs. Coolant

40 years with antifreeze, replaced hoses 1 time, still same headgasket(head has been off 2 times), 1 waterpump rebuild to get rid of the stainless shaft --I do use a thermostat, it is an old 160 bi-metal type I found used in the trash ---although it is time to do some radiator work, I have a seam leak, premature failure?, it has been 40 years since it was last worked on for leaks, it is probably an original radiator, perhaps if I changed the coolant more often than every 5-10 years I wouldn't have a problem, still no overheating on hot days or speeds over 60
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

When I used the coupe as a daily driver I used antifreeze in the winter. I used one gallon of antifreeze with two gallons of water. I only used it to prevent freezing. Antifreeze leaks where water doesn't. When the coolant gets hot it expands. You can expect small puddles under the overflow when the car is shut down. pets tend to like to drink the overflow and it kills them. Antifreeze doesn't like to stay in an unpressurized system. It will be necessary to monitor and add more antifreeze as needed. If a head gasket blows and the antifreeze mixes with the oil, it destroys the babbit in short order. Antifreeze that leaks around the radiator cap under acceleration will damage some paints. Antifreeze has a higher boiling point but this doesn't help because antifreeze doesn't cool nearly as good as water. Our model a is a fun car and doesn't get used for primary transportation. I drain in winter. If the weather is good in winter and we want to go for a ride, I add water and go. In driving season, I use tap water and water pump lubricant.My modela runs cool and doesn't leak. I don't have to worry about poisining my pets or ruining my babbit. Model A's have a primative cooling system that isn't sealed and pressurized. Antifreeze isn't as trouble free in a primative cooling system as it is in a modern car that was built to use antifreeze. Its your choice, if you intend to drive in freezing temps, antifreeze will be a must, you will learn to live with the quirks.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I am not going anywhere near this. We've covered this before. People forget that modern antifreeze has a rust inhibitor in it. Think cast iron will rust with just plain water ?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I don't like rust and freeze cracks, so I always use 50/50 antifreeze in my Model A and my A/C WD tractor. I also use a thermostat in my A. Never had a foaming problem in either machine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

If you look at page 520 of the service bulletins it lists ethylene glyco as an antifreeze solution to use ---and the ratios for different freeze points (50-50 for -20) ---if it was good to use when the car was new it is still good to use now.
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Humble opinion:

In our area, our Mechanical Religion was such that we believed in Prestone Anti-freeze for hundreds of the old non-pressurized radiators for tractors, i. e. 1935 Allis-Chalmers, old 2-cylinder John Deeres, 1940's Farmall A/V's, Case's, etc., etc.; & old 1930's & 1940's cars & trucks -- used local mechanic's prescribed 50/50 mix year round for rust & freeze protection with no problems.

Our guardian angels must have watched over our crankcases because we never heard of Babbitt failure while using anti-freeze.

For radiator leaks, most used Prestone products -- poor folks swore by adding dry mule manure flakes -- never tried mule manure -- we had thoroughbred horses and no mules -- most large farmers still had at least one mule to open drains across rows of plowed ground.

We only had rain water coming off of the roof & collected in wood cisterns for drinking, domestic use & for radiators -- but for wood cistern leaks, different cure -- crumble an old hand made wood mold soft brick with a hammer to make a fine clay powder -- add one cup of fine powdered brick in water in top of cistern -- the fine powdered clay migrated to the leak & tightly sealed the crevice -- wood boat leaks were different -- different subject for different day.

Different Model A opinions appear to be very similar to people's different religions in that it has a lot to do with geography where one is raised -- so in my opinion, one can still be friends with many different Model A opinions -- even if one uses non-detergent oil, has whitewall tires, and/or shops for oil blind folded at Wal-Mart.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
I am not going anywhere near this. We've covered this before. People forget that modern antifreeze has a rust inhibitor in it. Think cast iron will rust with just plain water ?
Well, Buddy, looks like you jist stepped in it anyhows, (Go scrape yo' shoes 'afore you go in the house!!) LOL Buster T.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

People have posted problems with foaming and paint damage from hot coolant so they have decided to use water with water pump lube and people afraid of the problems have donethe same. Does it really make a difference to the car, no.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
ronn

H L- I just had to put my sunglasses on

how dare you mention whitewalls-I am grimacing at the thought!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Patrick L.

You apparently have read all the posts, so it should be fairly easy for you to make a decision. There is more than one way to milk a cow, same here. Either way will work. I happen to be a distilled water/ rust inhibitor guy. I just don't anymore bearing damage than necessary if the gasket fails and I just drain the system at the end of the season. I think this engine has been treated like this since it was rebuilt in 1961.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Purdy Swoft

In referance to page 520 of the service bulletins,ethylene glycol is good to prevent freezing. It still doesn't like to stay in a non pressurized system. Lots of people have used antifreeze in unpressurized cooling systems to prevent freezing but unlike modern cars, the level must be constantly monitored and it WILL leave puddles under the overflow when parked and shut down. I sold my old Massey Harris , my newer tractor has a pressurized system with an overflow bottle. I do leave antifreeze in my tractor year round for this reason, its common sense to me. Water pump lubricant prevents rust in the cooling system. Oh yeah, Antifreeze doesn't harm babbit unless it gets in the crankcase. The last time I checked, the model A only has 14 head studs and it has been proven that the head teeters on the block when the engine is running. I usually see someone posting about head gasket problems here every week. If a person wants to run the risk of antifreeze in the crankcase when they don't have to, go ahead.. If you don't mind running hotter in summer because antifreeze has a lower boiling point, go ahead and enjoy the thrill. Its sorta like the so called modern points and condenser thing. There is usually two or three threads going on at any given time, where somebody is having problems with modern condensers or points, still they keep trying to use them.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-29-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
tbirdtbird
BANNED

haha Bill, that is a gift, not a curse !!!!