Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #1
old31

Default Seam on the 30/31 oil drain pipe

I have never seen a seem that looked like this one.

Has anyone seen this type of seam before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drain pipe with seam.jpg (65.6 KB, 113 views)
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Seam on the 30/31 oil drain pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I have never seen a seem that looked like this one.

Has anyone seen this type of seam before?
Just looked at the 6 i have nothing like that one you have
Old 12-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
lrf

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there two types (lengths) of return tubes because of the two different valve cover plates and their oil return hole positions? Has anyone ever see the cover plate without the return hole? LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there two types (lengths) of return tubes because of the two different valve cover plates and their oil return hole positions? Has anyone ever see the cover plate without the return hole? LRF

Like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (406.4 KB, 78 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:01 AM   #5
lrf

Bob C.: That's the cover! How did the oil return to the pan? Were the oil galleys to the bearings larger? Also noticed NO oil hole in the block. What is the vin on the block and how long was this used? Too many questions I know but this IS unusual and I've not seen a write-up in any national magazine. Thanks for your info. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:31 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
Bob C.: That's the cover! How did the oil return to the pan? Were the oil galleys to the bearings larger? Also noticed NO oil hole in the block. What is the vin on the block and how long was this used? Too many questions I know but this IS unusual and I've not seen a write-up in any national magazine. Thanks for your info. LRF
The timeline is addressed in the RG&JS book in the same area as the oil drain tubes are. From memory, this was just a small run that was used from 5/28 thru 10/28. The oil drained back into the crankcase thru the opening behind the timing gear. Nothing else was changed including galley holes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:00 PM   #7
Chuck Sea/Tac

Talking Re: Seam on the 30/31 oil drain pipe

Well, guess I can go back to bed, as I learned something new. Gonna guess that’s a fairly hard block to find!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Well, guess I can go back to bed, as I learned something new. Gonna guess that’s a fairly hard block to find!
Covered at Vince's Ford Garage Site https://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABv...rvarieties.htm

He says no oil return produced in "limited" quantities, and measured out for production between May and October 1928. Speculates it was a "B-trial" (my modern take) attempting to reduce oil consumption, reduce production costs. Also indicates it was reprised in the Model B (which I consider only partially correct as the Model B cover includes an integral "oil gallery.")

Vince also discusses variations with the oil return pipe, the largest (besides the relocation) being a change from early "soldered" ends to brazed ends. He considers the early as somehow "inferior." https://www.fordgarage.com/pages/oilreturnpipes.htm

I have heard one can convert short to long pipes (or visa versa) by "resoldering" the end - a move I consider questionable and possibly unnecessary as there are plenty of return pipes around. On Ebay you can even get one in the always desirable and award winning CHROME - to put on your red-painted engine.

Red ALWAYS make the car go faster - chrome intensifies the effect.

Joe K
Old 12-31-2022, 01:24 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Most low pressure type steel tubing is roll formed and seam welded with resistance welding equipment that use contoured rollers to clamp and weld the seam as the tube is fed through. Ford used all sorts of different suppliers for things as well as having their own production and one source may have used different type equipment than others. During the process of repairing my fuel tanks, I've noted two distinctly different seam roller welder patterns on fuel tanks that were close to the same MFR date. Some look to be knurled and others have more of an overlap bead look due to the way the seam roller welder machines were configured and possibly adjusted by the operators. It may have been the same for tubing seam welders. Ford had a lot of machines to do jobs like this. This way production could continue even if one was down for repairs or service.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote