Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
pat59

Default 4 million plus and no drawings?

Hello,
I'm Trying to bring back to life a 1930 Model A coupe and I've been searching for weeks on line. I've ordered and received almost a dozen recommended books. And have yet to find any dimensional drawings of the inside subflooring and /or side framing measurements. All these thousands of people restoring and rebuilding these model As and everyone is just winging it? Please someone tell me that I've just been looking in the wrong places.
-Pat
pat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 4 million plus and no drawings?

Pat59,

I have bad news and good news...the bad news is that there is, to my knowledge, no known "drawings of the inside subflooring and/or side framing measurements" for your 1930 Model A Coupe body unless it is in that book that is specifically about restoring that year of car and from what I have heard it does not say much.

The good news is that you may be able to contact the Ford Archives and see if they have any such drawings.

Depending on just where you live, there may be a MARC or MAFCA Model A Ford Club in your area and you just might get some great information from those who are in the club that have a 1930 Coupe such as yours.

By the way...just what kind of "coupe" body style is it?...Standard Coupe...Deluxe Coupe...Sport Coupe?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
pat59

Pluck,
I think it's a standard coupe. Or what's left of it. I sent an email to the ford museum in Deerborn and their reply was less than helpful. They've got a list of thousands of old Ford drawings. But no pics of what is on the drawing. But you can order copys of them sight unseen for thirty dollars a sheet.
I guess I need to buy another car in perfect original shape, take it all apart and make my own measurements. I'm just frustrated.
Pat-
Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

Pat, like Pluck mentioned, see if you can find a Model A club in your area. Members of these clubs will go out of their way to help other people with Model A's.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat59 View Post
Pluck,
I think it's a standard coupe. Or what's left of it. I sent an email to the ford museum in Deerborn and their reply was less than helpful. They've got a list of thousands of old Ford drawings. But no pics of what is on the drawing. But you can order copys of them sight unseen for thirty dollars a sheet.
I guess I need to buy another car in perfect original shape, take it all apart and make my own measurements. I'm just frustrated.
Pat-
Don't get frustrated...again...Depending on just where you live, there may be a MARC or MAFCA Model A Ford Club in your area and you just might get some great information from those who are in the club that have a 1930 Coupe such as yours.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Randy in ca

I'm a little confused about exactly what you're looking for when you refer to "dimensional drawings of the inside subflooring and /or side framing measurements". Are you attempting to make up new subframe components rather than use reproduction ones? What do you mean by the "side framing"?

Here's a link to a thread you may find interesting. Lots of subframe, etc. pictures. I think Flop, who started the thread is still out of action, but hopefully will soon be back with some more updates on this '30 coupe rebuild.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64243
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
pat59

Steve and Fred,Thanks for the info Guys. I'll look into the club idea.

Randy, I'm looking for the inch measurement from either, insde or outside between the side subrails at the front back and at the points where the crossrails go. I'm also looking for the inch measurement between each of the cross subrails. As far as the side framing measurements go I'd like the door frame measurements for inside the door frame at front (hinge side and back latch side. I'd also like the door frame width top and bottom. I'd like to know if the sub rails are even front to back or do they widen or narrow and by how much.
So I'd realy like to know for sure if the subframing in the car and door frames are correct, and what they are supposed to be. So when I build up from there, things will fit correctly. I'd hate to assume that it's correct and then find out later that it isn't and have to tear everything apart again to make the necessary corrections.
-Pat
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
stouchton

I found this on the web - not sure it is correct, and not sure if it helps. But worth a try!

I have a frame horn slightly bent, and was looking for a proper dimension. However, the 25 1/4" called out on the drawing does not seem right....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford - MODEL A FRAME DIMENSIONS (COPY).jpg (71.5 KB, 67 views)
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Mike

Pat,

The Delaware Valley Model A Club is based in Philadelphia, let me know if you are interested in joining. The club has been around since 1958

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Flop

all of the subframe dimensions are listed in one of my threads . dont get wrapped up about how wide the doors are just make them fit and make the door latch . if you are using repop subrails you will know where everything lines up (front hits the A pillar and the indent where the quarter rivets to the subframe is there ) sure you will have to make adjustments but you have a very close general idea .

https://www.facebook.com/flop.custom
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
pat59

Flop,
Thanks ! I found your measurements on the other thread. That'll help alot.
-Pat
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
ctvpa

This is from the book "How to restore the Model A Ford" by Lincoln publishing. It has measured drawings of all the body styles
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote