Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default 29 Tudor Sedan body with 30-31 frame how to tell difference?

Hey guys I have been redoing my brakes on the 29 Tudor and I was taking out the brake cross shaft to replace bushings and undoing brake rod to cross shaft and noticed that my brake rod has a round mushroom end on it that lines up with a hole in the middle cross section(I guess that is what it is called)with mounting holes, looks like this is the way the 30-31 brake light switch hooks up in the books I have seen. I put a 29 brake switch on this car on transmission and if you remember in other posts had a lot of trouble with the switch not working right I still have a problem of the pedal going down to far and pulling out the rod in the switch but I thought that may be with my brake problems? Called my brother that years ago fooled with the A's and he also thought that the top of the cross member under the seats had two odd shaped holes punched out for something else in the car and the 29's didn't have this but he was not sure. Is that correct because my car has these holes. Is there anyway for sure to tell difference between the 28-29 and 30-31 frames? It doesn't really matter I guess the frames are the same size anyway I think, just curious thought that I would change to 30-31 brake light switch seems to be a better setup. Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 29 Tudor Sedan body with 30-31 frame how to tell difference?

Robert,

Go to my website and there you will find all (well, most all) you will want to know about telling "frame" differences.

The two "holes" you mention on the center cross member, when punched out, were to form A-2504: Brake rod spring bracket---front. On the 28-29's this bracket was forged, however on the 30-31's, it was a stamping from the punched out area on the center cross member. Look at it closely and you can tell the shape.

As far as you having a 29 (late??) on a 30 style frame...you just might (except for the new emergency brake cross shaft) which appeared about April 1930.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
dave in australia

On the front cross member, the radiator mount pads are pressed to approx. equal with the chassis side rails and on the 30-31 front cross member, the radiator mount pads are about 3/16" to 1/4" below the chassis side rail. I hope this makes sense to you, it's an easy pick when you know what to look for.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
DeBordEngineMan

Thanks for the information guys I think that I have a late 29 frame my car also has a 2 tooth steering box and it takes the 28-29 style Radiator so I think that I am right saying it is a late 29 I guess? Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote