Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2024, 12:19 PM   #1
Swingle

Default Value of an Un-Restored Model A Engine

Between my dad and myself, we have collected a collection of Model A engines and blocks. These range from just the block, with all the internal components, to a complete engine, with the transmission still attached.

As both my dad and I are both aging, and realizing that all these projects we had thought about will not be done, decided it is time to get rid of some of them.

The question is, what is the current going rate for an un-restored Model A engine? How much extra for the head? How much extra for the transmission?

Is it better to sell them, or take them in for scrap?
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:40 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Value of an Un-Restored Model A Engine

Well, being brutally honest with you, -some may already be scrap. To the unknowing, you may get $100 for a complete core however it has been my experience that most engines as you describe are completely worn, and often the internal parts are not worth salvaging.

For example, if the block has any type of crack, the costs associated with repair exceed the value of the core. Yes, the crack can likely be repaired however the costs to do so are expensive, and most people who are wanting to purchase a core are not interested in buying one that has been cracked.

The next valuable piece is the crankshaft. Many have been improperly ground, -or the journal sizes have been reduced where they are 0.020" or greater undersized. At that point, the crankshaft will cost more to restore than the value if the crank making it a scrap item. So what you possibly have left is a camshaft core and/or connecting rod cores.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:41 PM   #3
midgetracer

Heads have no real value since most people use a high compression when rebuilding, so there is lots of them available for free. Transmissions are worth something if the gears are good. T would not buy one if I wasn't allowed to take the top off and look. Complete engine blocks are worth slightly more than scrap price since they are an unknown quantity.
a clean measures block is worth more. Not the best news, but what I believe to be reality.
Others may disagree.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Heads have no real value since most people use a high compression when rebuilding, so there is lots of them available for free. Transmissions are worth something if the gears are good. T would not buy one if I wasn't allowed to take the top off and look. Complete engine blocks are worth slightly more than scrap price since they are an unknown quantity.
a clean measures block is worth more. Not the best news, but what I believe to be reality.
Others may disagree.
Here is the thing about transmissions. They are too bloody heavy to ship. I had one that I was giving away. Not one taker. I pulled the gears out, cleaned them up and saw they were excellent. Turned around and sold them for $100 and I had a few guys lined up to purchase them at that price.

Swindle, the sad fact is it sounds like you've got some scrap on your hands.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
J Franklin

Mitchell's, that make the overdrive transmissions might need cases. Offer out the engines at a swap meet, your choice $150. and you might get rid of a few. Offer some to your local schools auto shop for an historical display. Maybe a museum would take one for display.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Heads have no real value since most people use a high compression when rebuilding, so there is lots of them available for free.
If they're flat and clean, $10 at a swap meet. I bought one to use as a guide when drilling out a broken head stud, sold it for the same $10 six months later.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:07 PM   #7
WHN

As a long time Model A guy and antique collector, I hate to say this, but!

In my many years with these cars, I have never seen a engine that was just sitting in a garage or barn that was worth buying. Maybe some parts off it, but the block, no.

I have had great luck with engines in cars that have been sitting for many years. One sat for over 40 years. Car and it’s engine went on until I sold it in 2022 with just a new carburetor, rebuilt distributor, new timing gear, head, and leakless water pump. Car was put away during the war and not taken out of barn until 1980.

It’s like week old pizza in your refrigerator. Might still look good, but you don’t want to eat it.

Haze gray and underway.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:08 PM   #8
Flathead

Don't scrap them, there may be some good stuff there!! I am running a block that had been laying on the ground outdoors for years, it did need to be bored .100 oversize on the cylinders but it is crack free and undamaged. Does not run hot either. You never know.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #9
Gene F

Amazing not worth anything.... I needed a block, and my rebuilder charged me like $650. I had to buy type of thing.

One of our local club members died, and his engine was running, but tired. He replaced it. I paid $125 for it. No manifolds or carb, no water pump, and no flywheel.

I'd think if ya have a used engine on a running stand, that someone can see run they will be worth a lot more. Ya know, some people don't need the perfect engine. Some people do not really drive their A more than 50 miles a year.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:40 PM   #10
Oldbluoval

You can scrap them now…or scrap them later. Especially, if it’s out of a car.
1 in 100 worth toting around.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:53 PM   #11
Chris Haynes

Needing parts for my Burtz block I bought a core A engine for 50 bucks.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:47 PM   #12
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Needing parts for my Burtz block I bought a core A engine for 50 bucks.
I probably should have done that for my Burtz, instead I bought front covers, side cover, manifolds, flywheel housing, yada yada separately.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:39 PM   #13
Joe K

When I have paid, which isn't often, I usually go $100 for an engine block WITH Flywheel/clutch and flywheel housing (which half the time are cracked.)

Bell housing runs $20 to $50 with the higher number if it includes pedals.

Transmission $75 to $100. Expect at least one gear to be trashed in a tranny and replacement of ALL the bearings is a certainty. I have bought a cracked transmission, but only for the guts within. $25 for those.

It's hard. Wife is quick to remind me that I may be buying these so my children can scrap them.

Joe K
Old 03-04-2024, 10:21 PM   #14
J Franklin

Good ballpark appraisal, all depending on condition of course.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:54 AM   #15
ronn

I get 75. for a trans and will pay 250 for a complete engine. its a lottery ticket.

none of this sells fast, as in a couple of years to sell.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:06 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Amazing not worth anything.... I needed a block, and my rebuilder charged me like $650. I had to buy type of thing.
Gene, actually what you purchased from your rebuilder was his 'time'. You paid $650 which covered the other engines that he had to disassemble and scrap because they were unusable because of value. Like I stated above, even though a cracked block may be repairable and have many years of great service, customers tend to balk at buying a block that has been repaired. Using yourself as an example, if you paid $650 for a core, would you be unhappy if you learned it was a cracked block that had been repaired??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:42 AM   #17
eagle

Put them on a stand one by one. Pull the covers and head off, check the bore, bearings and for cracks. Checked good repairable engines are worth a few hundred each. Scrap the scrap. I see good engines going for $500 or more.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:50 AM   #18
Oldbluoval

Around here, you can’t even get people to haul them even if free.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #19
dmar836

Lots of great suggestions but it sounds like he wants out. We’ve all been there - a project that stalled but has a good bit invested in it - you just lose the mojo and wisely acknowledge you don’t need to keep it around. Possessions can build up and become a mental burden. The last thing you want to do is re-enter the game by disassembly, spending time and money getting a motor running, joining or rejoining clubs, or spending weekends at swap meets. It’s a discouraging place to be. I’m there with an aircraft project with plenty invested and few willing to do such work any more.
Can’t speak for the OP, but this discouraging process is amplified by tire kickers and those who want the good stuff for a song to resell.
To the OP, if your attitude is indeed to get out you might be best served by selling it all as a project. Parting out may see a little more money but will likely not only mean courting many potential buyers(with the related hassle) and leave you with a lot of leftovers get scrap to get rid of. All this means you’ll be “active” in the hobby for, as previously stated, a couple years just to get a few hundred bucks.
JMO
Dave

Last edited by dmar836; 03-05-2024 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Corrections
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:03 AM   #20
ronn

Dave, well said.

sometimes its hard to know when to foldem........

holding is always easy.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:48 AM   #21
Swingle

Do I want to get "out" of the Model A Hobby? No, I enjoy driving my Model A's, and love to work on them - even when they frustrate you with a simple fix.

As I said in original post, I no longer see a need to have all these Model A engines in storage, last count was 20. Would like to 'thin the herd down', and maybe keep 2 of them. Have them mounted 2 per pallet, tucked up on pallet racking, easy to get to with the fork lift.

I have no desire to tear apart the blocks, selling the good parts, salvaging the rest. I have enough projects around here.

Just curious with the new Burtz block, if there is even a market for someone to buy 'barn-stored' Model A engines, that are close to 100 years old.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #22
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...You might advertise them in the two national magazines at moderate prices...folks within a days drive of you might come and purchase them...We see that happening in Arizona...Ernie in Arizona!
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #23
J Franklin

Take 4-5 to a swap meet and keep lowering the price as the day wears on. have a sign offering them all.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Take 4-5 to a swap meet and keep lowering the price as the day wears on. have a sign offering them all.
I came upon about 3/4's of a pick up load of good Model A parts while buying a V8 parts lot. We took the Model A parts to Hershey.

In that lot, were very nice but used Ford script distributor caps. I had them for $2.00. I am 53 and anyone older than me that looked at them, would pick them up and offer $0.50 or want more than one for $2.00.

A new, in the box commercial side view mirror. It sells for $30 new plus shipping. We were asking $20. Not one offer even close. $10 was the highest of about about 7-8 offers.

I have other examples of this cheapskate behavior, but I don't want to derail the thread.

Anyway, I have two friends who were also at the swap and they are heavily into Model A's.

I was so sick of dealing with the low ballers, I offered all of the remaining stuff- good brake drums, brake parts, other stuff for $50. They were happy to have it, I was happy to get rid of it so I could stop dealing with the all the nickel and diming.

Think long and hard about hauling around potentially bad parts. If you can verify they are good, it may be worth your time. If it's questionable, get rid of it. Your back and sanity will thank you.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:27 PM   #25
Joe K

Quote:
I have other examples of this cheapskate behavior, but I don't want to derail the thread.
Easy to call it "cheapskate" - BUT you're selling to a market which is "saturated." And getting more so with the passing of those who actually LIVED the Model A Ford. Maybe as a pre-WWII driver - but certainly as a 1950s-1960s "cheap transportation" aficionado. Or possibly as a 1960s "Happy Days" rodder.

Cheap transportation - a concept used to good effect in the muffler commercials of the 1970s. (RT 45 sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyJ47cZm2E

"See you 'round boys..."

One imagines even old man Creedy is dead now. I wonder what happened to "Annabelle?" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hoyt

Joe K
Old 03-05-2024, 01:08 PM   #26
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Easy to call it "cheapskate" - BUT you're selling to a market which is "saturated." And getting more so with the passing of those who actually LIVED the Model A Ford. Maybe as a pre-WWII driver - but certainly as a 1950s-1960s "cheap transportation" aficionado. Or possibly as a 1960s "Happy Days" rodder.

Cheap transportation - a concept used to good effect in the muffler commercials of the 1970s. (RT 45 sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyJ47cZm2E

"See you 'round boys..."

One imagines even old man Creedy is dead now. I wonder what happened to "Annabelle?" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hoyt

Joe K
I don't agree, Joe. What I experienced is flat out cheapskate behavior. Lets be honest and call it like it is.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:27 PM   #27
ModelA29

At a recent SoCal estate sale A/B blocks and A/B/C cranks were sitting unsold for $20. These had been cleaned and inspected when they were disassembled. At the Pomona swap meet a month ago there was a guy with 2 complete engines carb-dist-etc - he was hoping to sell them for enough to get his $70 space fee back.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:42 PM   #28
ronn

interesting thread- I see both sides of the coin and understand why china ends up with all of our metal.

Just isnt worth the time.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #29
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
At a recent SoCal estate sale A/B blocks and A/B/C cranks were sitting unsold for $20. These had been cleaned and inspected when they were disassembled. At the Pomona swap meet a month ago there was a guy with 2 complete engines carb-dist-etc - he was hoping to sell them for enough to get his $70 space fee back.
I had a similar experience a few years ago at an estate auction. Pallets with 5+ complete engines each selling for no more than $100. Most of the buyers took the best looking one off the pallet and let the auctioneers scrap the rest.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 03:17 PM   #30
David in San Antonio

I feel your pain, brother. A few weeks ago I gave away for free a 24 year old German sports sedan with somewhat unusual spec package. I had bought it new in 2000 and loved driving it. Then the darn thing started failing, one startlingly expensive German part at a time. Then in pairs, then all at once. I just couldn’t summon the energy to deal with it anymore.
Copart offered me $170 for it so I gave it away. According to the fellow I gave it to, $1,000 in parts and free labor got it running. The windows don’t open and the a/c doesn’t work, but now someone has a jalopy to get to work in. A very high spec sports sedan jalopy.
I’m happy it’s helping someone and thrilled not to have it hanging over my head as a failed project any more.
Also my name came up at a recent HOA meeting and they were fixing to send me a letter about the non-running car in my driveway.
Alamo A’s Club

Last edited by David in San Antonio; 03-05-2024 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Spilling errors.
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 03:41 PM   #31
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
interesting thread- I see both sides of the coin and understand why china ends up with all of our metal.

Just isnt worth the time.
A lot of the cheapskates want the parts cheap so they can re-sell them to people who need them. I’ve been to a lot of swap meets where the sellers leave their wives at their space while they’re out looking for “bargains” to flip.

Meanwhile, those of us who genuinely are looking for parts we need are left with price inflation. Same thing with real estate. A realtor bought my neighbors house, did some cosmetic upgrades and flip it for twice what he paid my neighbor.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:13 PM   #32
Keith True

A man closed his dairy operation down in the early 50's,most of his land became Pease Air Force base.He was left well off,and took up tinkering with Model A engines.He'd take them apart,tinker them up,run them,put them on a skid and line them up in the barn.His son died in the early 2000's,and the family had a local scrap place haul everything away.The scrap guy lined them up in his yard and found either an A club or just a group of A guys to come look at them.He wanted what they would bring him at the dock.They showed up with toolboxes and rags,and he asked them what they thought they were going to do.They wanted to pull pans,heads,and do inspections.Not happening.It was,you point,and I will pick it up and load.He was a scrap dealer,not a parts seller.A couple of the guys tried to argue with him,and at that point he started snapping off the generators and starters with the backhoe bucket.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:33 PM   #33
dmar836

LOL. Can't blame him. There is nuance in this world and some respect for others time and cheap prices. My family did occasional garage sales in the 80s. Our outgrown stuff - not flipping stuff. My mom would sell a Polo oxford shirt(fairly pricey at the time) for $2 and someone asked if she'd take $.25. That's not frugal or wisdom. That's looking a gift horse in the mouth. Two sides indeed.

I think it's also an age thing. We all can acknowledge we have more than we need and I, for one, cannot justify more unless it's a deal. I have car parts, motorcycles, bicycles, etc, I've paid good, competitive prices for but I would now rather give things away to a younger person who would be into it but there are only those with dollar signs in their eyes so it all slowly rots in place.

Secondly, quick money is more important to people anymore than about anything else...sadly. Fill in the rest.

D
Old 03-05-2024, 04:46 PM   #34
Seth Swoboda

WOW, you guys are mostly pessimist. The consenus here is that if you have Model A engines that are not running but cores that need rebuilding, they are all junk so throw them away. I'll assume your are correct. Therefore anyone that needs an engine to rebuild or has an engine that needs rebuilt throws them away and buys a Burtz. Okay, I suppose I can believe that.

I know that the cost to build a Burtz engine or rebuild a Ford block cost about half as much as the average driver model A is worth. I understand that.

When I restored my '31 Victoria, it needed an engine. I picked what looked like a good candidate from my supply, had it checked out and it passed as good. Damn good thing I didn't give up and throw my entire car and engine away.

I am an early V8 guy. I have rebuilt 5 flathead V8's. I have found a couple of blocks over the years that were cracked and no good. I took a chance on them knowing that they might not be good. Usually paying no more than $200 for a core engine. I do not advocate for throwing used, non running V8 engines in the scrap heap.

I have Model A engines that are potentially cores for someone to rebuild. Price is entirely negotiable as I'd rather help someone out than scrap them. After this thread, I'm taking all my Model A parts to the recycler. Well gotta get going before they close.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 03-05-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:50 PM   #35
Tim Ayers

Don't get me wrong, I like a bargain like everyone else. Sometimes these lowballs are just insulting. We all know folks who are the I got 'ems. I got this so cheap way back. I got this so cheap back then. On and on. When they need something, they chisel you down to the point of surrender. When you need something from them, all the sudden they've got the Midas touch and everything they touch is made of solid gold.

I'm so over those type of people. At this point in my life, I try to give away parts to people I know will use them. Have I been burned? Sure, but lesson learned and they are off my list.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:51 PM   #36
Oldbluoval

“ WOW, you guys are mostly pessimist. ”

A pessimist is an optimist….after 20
Years!
Old 03-05-2024, 04:58 PM   #37
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like a bargain like everyone else. Sometimes these lowballs are just insulting. We all know folks who are the I got 'ems. I got this so cheap way back. I got this so cheap back then. On and on. When they need something, they chisel you down to the point of surrender. When you need something from them, all the sudden they've got the Midas touch and everything they touch is made of solid gold.

I'm so over those type of people. At this point in my life, I try to give away parts to people I know will use them. Have I been burned? Sure, but lesson learned and they are off my list.
Tim, I get ya. I had a local EAA Chapter inquire about a Pietenpol build that needed a Model A engine. I told the guys I'd give them an engine until we found a good one. The cost was a ride in the airplane when it was finished.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:01 PM   #38
jgriffin

Swingle,

I would post them! Post them here, post them on Facebook and post them on Craigslist. I am fairly new into the hobby (2 years) and have paid a premium for not so premium parts. I have not been in the hobby long enough to have a pile parts so I get whats offered. Seems to me $100 a engine would be a fair gamble?!

Good luck with thinning out your collection
jgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:10 PM   #39
dmar836

Seth, I haven't seen anyone say throw them away, just that because rebuilds are so costly, they are worth very little as a core. I, too, have 4-5 flathead V8s and lots of parts. I see people asking tons for a core but I couldn't give one away.
Dave
Old 03-05-2024, 05:17 PM   #40
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar836 View Post
Seth, I haven't seen anyone say throw them away, just that because rebuilds are so costly, they are worth very little as a core. I, too, have 4-5 flathead V8s and lots of parts. I see people asking tons for a core but I couldn't give one away.
Dave
Dave I have sold V8's to folks to rebuild for $100-$200 with no issues. They were all happy and satisfied. That's why I don't buy into the idea that, well it cost too much and the block is probably no good so junk it. In fact I thinned down my V8 engine supply fairly easily to the point I got worried and bought more engines. Personally, every aspect of this hobby cost more than any early Ford is worth and it makes no practicle sense to spend $1 on one of these cars. It's a hobby and I enjoy it. That is why I do it. I guess I could start smoking dope instead? I just can't be that negative about the hobby.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:23 PM   #41
Synchro909

I've read all of the posts in this thread and can't believe how much stuff you guys have at your disposal and the ridiculously low prices. Sure, the arrival of the Burtz engine plays into this but I've had to advertise for a rebuildable bare block. Eventually, a club member said he had one.
As for low ball offer, that happens here too. I was selling a nice clean car a few years ago when a guys looked it over and started nit picking every little stone chip. It was obvious to me that he was trying to set the scene for a low offer. I told him I knew what he was doing - not interested. "You can see that it's a good car at a decent price. Now get out!" I threw him off the property and he wasn't happy. I thought "Two can play that game." I have had my suspicions since that the guy who eventually did buy it (at my price) was a friend of that first guy.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:36 PM   #42
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've read all of the posts in this thread and can't believe how much stuff you guys have at your disposal and the ridiculously low prices. Sure, the arrival of the Burtz engine plays into this but I've had to advertise for a rebuildable bare block. Eventually, a club member said he had one.
As for low ball offer, that happens here too. I was selling a nice clean car a few years ago when a guys looked it over and started nit picking every little stone chip. It was obvious to me that he was trying to set the scene for a low offer. I told him I knew what he was doing - not interested. "You can see that it's a good car at a decent price. Now get out!" I threw him off the property and he wasn't happy. I thought "Two can play that game." I have had my suspicions since that the guy who eventually did buy it (at my price) was a friend of that first guy.
Synchro, If you were closer to me I would have helped you out on parts at very reasonable prices. I'd bet some of these guys stating that they saw engine parts at swap meets that couldn't be given away, wouldn't give their stuff away.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:21 PM   #43
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Synchro, If you were closer to me I would have helped you out on parts at very reasonable prices. I'd bet some of these guys stating that they saw engine parts at swap meets that couldn't be given away, wouldn't give their stuff away.
Even if I were to get something free over there, by the time I have it in my hand, it is very expensive even by surface shipping. Air is ridiculous.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:19 AM   #44
ronn

as Ive said previously, you just chose the wrong country to live in!

lol
Old 03-06-2024, 10:49 AM   #45
Swingle

Stopped by the scrap yard to see their payout on steel, only 3 cents a pound.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:59 AM   #46
Keith True

Light iron here is a nickel,heavy steel is around 10,and frag was 12.Engines and transmissions are priced as frag here.It's close to $250.per ton for frag and about $100.for light iron.# 1 steel is running about $200.It does vary weekly,but for the most part stays pretty steady.We did have a year long spike 15 years ago,it had everybody cleaning out their backyards.I scrapped a D 6 bulldozer I had in the bushes for $4030.00 in 2010.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:41 PM   #47
lrf

If the engine is running so you can hear it or you know the history of the car or person that it came from, I'd say the running engine is worth (to me) $500. My friend lost his wife recently, his family doesn't give a **** about his cars or parts. I'll help him by buying/selling his many parts and selling his parts at a swap meet. Trying to keeping the hobby alive. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:15 PM   #48
J Franklin

A person that truly embraces this hobby will sacrifice a bit of time and effort to help disperse usable parts to those needing them. Junk can be culled and sent to a scrap yard. Clubs might be a ready source of free help in the process. You Aussies could pony up for a shipping container and take a load of the free stuff home maybe.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:56 AM   #49
Kurt in NJ

There was a engine without head a few booths away at Hershey a couple years ago, every I ever I walked by it called to me ( I don’t need more engines) I looked at it several time, the bores were small enough that .020 bore could be possible, the water jacket was never rusty, the outside was never rusty, the engine number is not being used on any motor vehicle databases, upon disassembly the camshaft bearing bores still have machining marks and are in the middl of factory sizes, no cracks or damaged stud threads —#3 cleaned up at .023, the others would clean up at under .020, the valve seats will not need replace because of being ground too much, —- so what would be the value of a block like this.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:13 AM   #50
dave in australia

I recently sold a complete engine for $50, and told the buyer that if there's a crack, bring it back and I'll get another one out for you. It comes down to supply and demand. I have about twenty five engines that occupy storage space and their condition is unknown. It helped to keep another A on the road.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:18 AM   #51
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
There was a engine without head a few booths away at Hershey a couple years ago, every I ever I walked by it called to me ( I don’t need more engines) I looked at it several time, the bores were small enough that .020 bore could be possible, the water jacket was never rusty, the outside was never rusty, the engine number is not being used on any motor vehicle databases, upon disassembly the camshaft bearing bores still have machining marks and are in the middl of factory sizes, no cracks or damaged stud threads —#3 cleaned up at .023, the others would clean up at under .020, the valve seats will not need replace because of being ground too much, —- so what would be the value of a block like this.

The scrap value of $50 plus the hourly rate for your time to establish all of this and the work that was done.

Being "less worn" than usually seen MIGHT be a plus - but not a big one. It's still worn and not a "drop-in." And you're competing with all the blocks that are worn but "salvageable" by similar work.

Joe K
Old 03-07-2024, 09:22 AM   #52
Seth Swoboda

I put several Model A and V8 Flatheads out by the road in front of my house. I have a sign on them that says "Free". Hoepfully someone will take the time to haul them off.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:16 AM   #53
dmar836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post

A bit more since you spent the time to disassemble, check, bore it(presumably without new pistons yet in hand), and chase down the engine number(?). Add a pressure check and you have reason to ask a bit more as a sure, rebuildable core. But how aggressively a block needs to be machined for rebuild doesn't move the needle much as it still needs to be machined and new parts fitted.

So the average buyer at a flea market or at a barn sale cannot do any of that stuff. It's always a pig in a poke. V8s get guys all the time. "Ran when pulled" kind of stuff that often means "Ran but pulled for a reason."

I would still have to consider what the cost to rebuild it would be. Parts aren't the cheapest but even if they were it's the labor that's now the issue. In my case it's my own labor, so a decent amount of sweat equity and no small amount of time. That doesn't leave much to spend on a core. Consequently, I haven't seen one that shimmers like gold yet.

Not criticizing your example at all but a buyer cannot be expected to assume any of that(most are not great) so its pay me now or pay me later.

JMO
D
Old 03-07-2024, 11:40 AM   #54
Model "A" Fords

Original Model "A" part numbers are declining with time, making the parts still available more valuable.

A man had an original fan belt stashed away. When he died his stash goes into the garbage by an uninterested Son. Later someone needs one for a points car and is willing to pay $300.00 for one. Too bad it is gone! A few more years and someone offers $1,000.00 for one. There are none available.
Now, a man needing that belt, receives 498 points at judging. He is now told of an original belt that was just tossed.
How much is it worth now?

I found the original engine for my car in a pile of crappy looking engines in an unheated garage. I had no idea of condition but sent mine for a rebuild. The block was cracked but being the one for my car I was happy to pay for any repairs to keep it original. The remaining engines were given away free, to a friend that does Model "A" rework.

Before scrapping, if it comes to that, give them to someone in the rebuild business as he will be a better judge of whether or not they are scrap.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:31 PM   #55
Joe K

Quote:
"Ran when pulled" kind of stuff that often means "Ran but pulled for a reason."
One has to keep that in mind. "Barn find" usually means there was some issue which caused it's removal and storage in the barn.

"Might use it some day" was popular then as it is now.

Almost every part of my (er) collection needs some sort of "work" to bring it back. VERY rare to find a complete assembly without issue. Parts one can "pick and choose" - and even then one can be fooled. A $100 transmission bought in Vermont comes to mind which was discovered to have the "smile crack" after its arrival home. I don't think the seller had any idea what he was selling had an issue. No matter. MANY gears are likely useable - although I would be replacing the bearings as a matter of policy. And at least three spare cases to make up the deficiency.

One thinks of a Twilight Zone episode about rebuilding after a nuclear holocaust. I just wish the opposition was Elizabeth Montgomery and not simply "wear and tear."

Joe K
Old 03-08-2024, 06:17 AM   #56
ronn

Ran but pulled for a reason.

yep- to install a sbc or flatty in many cases..............
Old 03-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #57
J Franklin

Quote:

Many times true, even back in the day of replacing with a flathead.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:22 PM   #58
dmar836

Yep and many for other reasons. You just can't know. There are stories all over about engines bought that "ran fine", were "rebuilt", or were even hopped up - V8s with Merc cranks, etc. only to be found to be seized, worn out(like mine with no shims), or just bone stock plodders. It's just a chance I'm not willing to take. I'm glad others have not been so disappointed. When I build it, I know what it is.
None of this makes an old core worth more.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:47 PM   #59
Synchro909

Quote:
as Ive said previously, you just chose the wrong country to live in!

lol
None of us get to chose where we ae born. Few are the people who move to another country later in life and sure, I could change but I'm not. The cost of freight from such an expensive country as the US is a small price to pay for living here IMO.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:45 PM   #60
Hitman

Quote:

Not for me. “rebuilt or running engines and/or chassis” need to be disassembled to verify. If they don’t want to spend the time or money on that, it’s a core motor.

Engines ARE pulled for a reason, sbc or other reasons. There’s a reason.

I have engines that I pulled. They ran, but I had better engines to rebuild. Did they burn oil, are they cracked, are they .100 over, do they knock? No idea! My spares are cores. Until disassembled, everything is a core.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 02:18 AM   #61
ronn

to each his own- Ive bought some bargains and was very happy about those decisions.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:51 PM   #62
J Franklin

Quote:
to each his own- Ive bought some bargains and was very happy about those decisions.
I have also, there are so many good model A parts saved from the 30s, 40s, & 50s that there are many good to great cores. If a person isn't comfortable with the offerings that is their problem. My buddy bought an engine at a swap meet that turned out to be still a standard bore and crank. Was rebuilt with a slight overbore and polished crank. Prize pig in a poke! His car in photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01447.jpg (86.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by J Franklin; 03-09-2024 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Add a photo
Old 03-09-2024, 02:01 PM   #63
eagle

A lot of the old As that were scrapped back in the day had their engines pulled to be used as stationary engines. Used to be a common thing on the farms.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:18 AM   #64
Tim Ayers

There is a long block 1930 motor in OH for sale on the HAMB. It's $75 and has been for sale since December, 2022. It is not stuck and ran when pulled.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:02 AM   #65
ronn

Tim, if that was over here, it would have sold.

Hambers dont want a tractor motor for their builds............

it would have fetched 350. over here.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:05 PM   #66
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Tim, if that was over here, it would have sold.

Hambers dont want a tractor motor for their builds............

it would have fetched 350. over here.
Maybe. There is a surprising number of members from both forums who straddle both fences.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:03 AM   #67
Wick

If you find someone who wants any of the engines or transmissions just trade them for a case of Beer.
Sometimes it's difficult to get $$ out of people in this hobby, but they will swap you a case
Of Beer! I have not bought any Beer in 3 years and the garage fridge is full.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:01 AM   #68
Joe K

"Rod conversons" CAN be a source of parts.

More than once I've bought from someone who "rodded."

"I can sell you everything but the body and the frame which I've 'boxed.'"

The last front axle was bought from a rodder (1931 Coupe) who started with a boxed A-frame and front axle, but after finding the car "flexible" and continued chipping the paint around the body doorframes decided to buy Sacramento's box frame and front end. (Late model V8, nicely done with white velour interior.)

Which is where I found the axle.

"Good decision" I said without a second look at the body or his nice red-painted frame. "You are obviously into this for strength!"

The Model A axle had been outside uncovered for a year but was still in good condition - and even has the later cast iron ventilated brake drums.

Joe K
Old 03-13-2024, 05:11 PM   #69
Gene F

Ok, so if the engine runs, and you can take a compression check on it...would any of you be a buyer then?, and if so how much would be your range?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:27 PM   #70
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Ok, so if the engine runs, and you can take a compression check on it...would any of you be a buyer then?, and if so how much would be your range?
I think it would boost the value by 100% or so.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:34 AM   #71
ronn

at least.

a 250 core could be worth up to 750 for me.

Im having this problem with flatheads. they are either 3000-5000 for a good motor or pot luck for 500-1000. so many are cracked..............
Old 03-15-2024, 07:37 AM   #72
rackops

I'll buy multidisk clutch parts all day long. The rest of the transmission, not so much.

Being in the US, I'll also pay decent money for RHD clutch housings, particularly early ones. It's cheaper than having to mail them from Australia or NZ (which I've done).

The rest, have to admit, is pretty much true per the above comments. I did pay $400 for a nice December 1927 manufacture block for my RHD Phaeton. And then paid $4600 to have it rebuilt. But it's the correct engine for my car, so...that's how this works sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2024-03-15_08-32-31.jpg (64.7 KB, 1 views)
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:06 AM   #73
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackops View Post
I'll buy multidisk clutch parts all day long.
I'm helping to disperse the collection of a friend who passed away recently. He has at least four multi-disc clutch stacks we're looking to sell. Also a wide array of 28/29 body components, shift towers, various other things. If you're near NC and looking for something in particular, DM me. Condition on most items will be "intact but well-used." Pricing will be "affordable."
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:06 AM   #74
rackops

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I'm helping to disperse the collection of a friend who passed away recently. He has at least four multi-disc clutch stacks we're looking to sell. Also a wide array of 28/29 body components, shift towers, various other things. If you're near NC and looking for something in particular, DM me. Condition on most items will be "intact but well-used." Pricing will be "affordable."
Sent you a message, thanks!
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote