Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2024, 11:44 PM   #21
30Murray

Default Re: 1929 TwoLite headlamps w/ LED turn signals

Here's a question for you guys. When was the last time you actually used your parking lights? In all my years driving I can't recall ever using them. I really don't know what use they are nowadays. I rewired my front in-headlight parking lights on a separate switched circuit with bright LED bulbs and use them as daytime running lights. This way the tail lights don't come on as you don't need them during daylight. A big safety improvement. Signal lights are separate between the bumpers.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:40 AM   #22
TomInCologne

a bit off topic,but nevertheless: i have the focused led headlights and am impressed with the brightness but don't like the cold-blue-white light. So i added incandescent lights in the 'parking lights' and added diodes between the headlight socket and the parking lights. whenever the low beam or high beam is on, the incandescent parking lights come on with them and the cold white is mixed with some warm yellow...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:19 AM   #23
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
a bit off topic,but nevertheless: i have the focused led headlights and am impressed with the brightness but don't like the cold-blue-white light. So i added incandescent lights in the 'parking lights' and added diodes between the headlight socket and the parking lights. whenever the low beam or high beam is on, the incandescent parking lights come on with them and the cold white is mixed with some warm yellow...
I agree with you about the cold blue light from the focused LED headlights, I don't like it. I prefer the warm white of the incandescent bulbs. But I like to see, and you can't beat the light beam you get from the focused LEDs. My LED parking light is now amber, I will see what it looks like with that bulb on with the headlights on.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #24
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Since you don't need park and turn at the same time you could get creative with a relay. When you turn the parking light on it activates the relay and sends power to the light. When the relay is not energized the contact sends pulses of power to the light from the flasher.

I'll sketch up a schematic. You could make it with a relay, toggle switch and flasher.
The main difference is the brightness of the two. Parking Light is only about 3 cp. Not too bright. Turn Signals need to be bright, like 32 cp or so.

I have seen turn signal controllers that flash the cowl lights for the front turn indicators, but they are not bright enough. You'd need a bright bulb that will fit in the small cowl light housing (they do exist), but then your parking lights will be quite bright.

Putting a dual filament socket in the headlight reflector parking light location is not that difficult.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:34 AM   #25
Keith True

I used to buy the old signal switches at the flea market when I found them.Just the simple ones,hot wire in,and right and left wires out.I bought some of the ones with rubber tires on them to shut them off,but on the A they have to be mounted hanging down because of the spark/throttle levers.On my 30 truck I have one of the simple switches mounted to the cowl brace,up under the tank.Only the little lever sticks out.Pick it up for a right turn,and push it down for left.I do have some little beepers to wire in,but I never did.I served a lot of time in trucks for the last 40+ years,and never drove one with self-cancelling signals,so checking the lever is as natural as checking the guages.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote