Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
art ebeling

Default Painting underside of bed

I am working on a 36 Pickup. Does the wood subfloor that shows from underneath get painted or is it left bare and only the steel subframe painted? Art
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Painting underside of bed

Good question. I painted mine. I have seen some evidence of what appeared to be "overspray" on the underside, but that really doesn't make sense.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
paul2748

If not painted with a color, urethane it for preservation.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:00 PM   #4
nelsb01

The wood was treated with stain. The best choice is Minwax Ebony.
One would think............that Ford would NOT have painted the entire wood bottom -- waste of paint, so overspray would be the logical choice. That is what I did with mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7726.jpg (67.3 KB, 24 views)
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
If not painted with a color, urethane it for preservation.
If it is hardwood, which it should be, just leave it bare wood.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #6
nelsb01

Lawson...........that is not what Ford did. The wood was stained. The under the cab wood, the under the box blocks, the wood under the box -- all stained with something. The closest reproduction stain is Minwax Ebony -- this is information from the late Roy Nacewicz, and I trust his research.

Last edited by nelsb01; 08-26-2022 at 09:53 PM.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:52 PM   #7
Tinker

Kube did a restoration thread here on a 39ish pickup. I looked for it. Covered what he did. Very nice restoration.

On a personal note. If it's not points. paint or treat the wood. My 38 with a wood subfloor under sheetmetal bed (last yr) was raw wood as best I could tell after 80 yrs. Suppose the best treatment back then was either hardwood, paint/stain, or creosote. Best I can tell is it was hardwood.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-26-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
The wood was treated with stain. The best choice is Minwax Ebony.
One would think............that Ford would NOT have painted the entire wood bottom -- waste of paint, so overspray would be the logical choice. That is what I did with mine.

Occam's razor. The simplest answer is usually correct.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:45 AM   #9
art ebeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Lawson...........that is not what Ford did. The wood was stained. The under the cab wood, the under the box blocks, the wood under the box -- all stained with something. The closest reproduction stain is Minwax Ebony -- this is information from the late Roy Nacewicz, and I trust his research.
I purchased a lot of raven bolts and nickle plated screws from Roy. His name was mentioned by Joy at Mac Hills when I picked the bed up. He used ro supply them the bed to frame bolts they no longer have. Thanks for the answers. Art
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Kube did a restoration thread here on a 39ish pickup. I looked for it. Covered what he did. Very nice restoration.

On a personal note. If it's not points. paint or treat the wood. My 38 with a wood subfloor under sheetmetal bed (last yr) was raw wood as best I could tell after 80 yrs. Suppose the best treatment back then was either hardwood, paint/stain, or creosote. Best I can tell is it was hardwood.
Tinker, I believe I had more fun restoring that truck than perhaps any of the other vehicles I'd done. Just plain fun

Ford did in fact treat the wood. If I recall correctly (oh oh) they used a mixture of "scrap" oils. The end result was wood that was blackened.

MinWax, Ebony, as posted earlier is a very good product to simulate the original finish. I use two coats, occasionally three, to get the wood dark enough to replicate the original.

The two photos I'd attached are from that '40. It is, I'd think it's obvious, that it was "over restored".
Regardless, the wood was not directly painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bed bot aft.jpg (26.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg rear bed aft.jpg (44.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Occam's razor. The simplest answer is usually correct.
I had to look up the definition of "Occam's razor". I learned something new today.
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #12
GB SISSON

Coming on 52 years as a professional woodworker with many repair/restoration projects involving older wood structures, I would definately seal or saturate any hardwood under a vehicle. Red oak, maple, birch and many other hardwoods are quite prone to rot and bug infestation. Bed wood was almost always a softwood. Not soft like white pine, cedar or redwood, but forms of hard southern pine (pitch pine, yellow pine, loblolly), various species of fir etc. White oak and locust would be good choices for new structural under cab members. In old New England quarried granite fence posts were not uncommon. It was said that if one were to set a granite post and a locust post alongside each other, the granite one would outlast the locust one by a year.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #13
highbeams

see other post.

Last edited by highbeams; 08-29-2022 at 12:17 AM. Reason: erase this post; keep the other one; as they are twin posts.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #14
Bums F-1

When I restored my 1950 F-1, I used Thomson water seal on the new wood.
Bums F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
I had a '36 half-ton; the subfloor wood wasn't painted nor treated. I also had a '38 half-ton and a '40 half-ton; neither was painted nor treated.

* hardwood was not . . . WOULD NOT. . . . . be used for that . . . . .

. . . . . at Ford; ESPECIALLY HENRY IN THE '30S & '40 & '41 would truly NOT CONSIDER IT,(despite his hardwood forests in Michigan.

to wit;Henry: "What? You're fired for such a foolish thought!
Right out that door, below the red E-X-I-T. (pointing) GET OUT! OUT! "

I can't imagine Ford doing ANYTHING to the subfloor wood. Why would they . . . The
buyer of a new pickup would probably use it for, what, 2, 3, 4, 5 years. The next buyer
couldn't complain because it's a used vehicle. if the wood was deteriorating (which it
absolutely would not because the environmental elements will not and cannot 'get up
there' to do ANY damage. (4 fenders protect the underside from splash. - replies welcome-.

THANK YOU!
Whether or not you are able to imagine Ford doing this, they in fact, did.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #16
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Whether or not you are able to imagine Ford doing this, they in fact, did.
Hopefully a photo will be posted.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:01 PM   #17
TomT/Williamsburg

Not beng BBC a stock restoration guy, I primed and painted the CT under side of my non-stock 40 pickup using Spray paint and Satin black was the top coat. Just in case there are C others here on the Barn building “outside the box” Ford pickups…….
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #18
Model51

Just as a point of reference, in the mid-1930's at least, Ford painted, in the same body color, the entire big truck flatbed assembly after it was fully assembled. This included the underside metal ribs and wood floor. I know this is not the same issue you guys are discussing with pickups, but I just wanted to chime in that Ford did, for some models at least, paint the underside of the bed. The body color painting includes not only all of the steel framing parts, but the wood and hardware too as it was done after being fully assembled. The racks were also individually painted body color, fully assembled with wood slats riveted to metal stakes.
My opinion comes from studying lots of factory photos of truck beds at the Ford Archives as well as looking at several original survivor trucks. Thanks for this discussion as I learned something about pickup beds that I didn't know.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #19
totto

I restored my '34 pickup and the wood under the bed was "bird's eye maple" tongue and grove. It had a "dark color stain" and I used Ebony stain when I replaced the wood. That is what I did.

Henry
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #20
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by totto View Post
I restored my '34 pickup and the wood under the bed was "bird's eye maple" tongue and grove. It had a "dark color stain" and I used Ebony stain when I replaced the wood. That is what I did.

Henry
Well. bird's eye maple is pretty hard to miss. I have most experience with original boxes from '42 - '59. All softwood. But as far as sealing hardwood goes, there was an all original '46 ford wagon in a garage here on Orcas when I arrived in '78. A new friend here knew I had wood boat experience so we went and looked at the problem. Powder post beetles had riddled the woodwork. My friend said his sister had inherited it from their dad and left it outside for quite a few years and the varnish was very compromised. Then came the bugs and they continued their march after it was garaged. My friend moved to Nevada and took the wagon. Powder post beetles like their wood very damp, so bugs died out. It got sold to a guy in California who resto-modded it and drives it with the bug holes. Moral here is hardwood without sealer is excellent bug food. Maple is their favorite, and I think 'Sugarmaker' here on the 'barn could tell us why. My woodie is sealed inside, outside,in between and beneath.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote