Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
menace11

Default 1939 rear wheel bearings

Hi, I'm replacing rear wheel bearings in my 39 coupe, cleaned out the drum, was going to install bearing when I was told there should be a washer/spacer in the drum before the bearing, seal and circlip go in, can anyone fill me in this as there was nothing there when I disassembled it, am waiting to find out any info before I continue, thanks to anyone's help, Denis.
menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1939 rear wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace11 View Post
Hi, I'm replacing rear wheel bearings in my 39 coupe, cleaned out the drum, was going to install bearing when I was told there should be a washer/spacer in the drum before the bearing, seal and circlip go in, can anyone fill me in this as there was nothing there when I disassembled it, am waiting to find out any info before I continue, thanks to anyone's help, Denis.
That would certainly be a new one on me. The bearing is installed within the cavity of the brake drum. Then the seal, then the "C" clip.

Oh, one bit of advice (you may already know): You'll note that the clip has one end that is what most consider "backwards". Makes it tough to remove the clip. File that end to mirror the opposite side. next time you need to remove this clip, you'll be glad you did.

I trust (hope) you are replacing the bearings with Ford stock. If not check the hardness of the cage on the bearings you have. All too often these were manufactured too soft and will subsequently (quickly) fail in service. No need to worry about Ford bearings as they were made very well. If you do not have access to a Rockwell harness Tester, run a file over the edge of the cage. If the file cuts in to the cage, the bearing is poopy.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

EXCELLENT advice from Kube as usual. The same goes for the caged roller bearings that go in the transmission. Since they are small do the file test. Most new ones have soft cages. If you talk to MVP you will find that even he has trouble getting hardened ones.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It's a shame that the manufacturer doesn't make the bearings correctly using proper materials and heat treatment. The added cost could easily be recouped. Save your old bearings for future use.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote