Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
Daryl Middlebrook

Default Radiators

I have a 1934 and a 1936 Ford. Both cars are original un-modified cars and have stock 21 stud engines. Both cars need new radiators. These are both "drivers". Not show cars. I would like to buy radiators that look reasonably stock while providing as much cooling as possible.

What company manufactures the best cooling radiators for driver cars while still retaining the original (or nearly original) Ford appearance?

Thanks for your help!!!
Daryl Middlebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Radiators

Brassworks is.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
flatford8

Or recor the ones you have..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

If you have radiators to start with do what flatford8 says and get them re-cored by a good radiator shop. I paid $700 for the job I had done on my 32 5w but when done, everything fit, all the brackets were where they belonged and it looked NOS.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
TJ

Both of you radiators have a relief in the top tank for your fan(if you are still using the stock fan location you need it). Some of the new radiators do not have this relief. If you tanks are good you can recore. I don't know if Brassworks puts the relief in their top tanks or not. I do know that Walker does not put it in the top tank. Research what you need and then make the decision to buy new or recore.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Brassworks will build whatever you want, so they also build the stock version with the fan recess. That is what I have in a 33.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Daryl Middlebrook

Question Re: Radiators

Thanks for the comments and advice.

My radiators have the fan relief. I will need that feature in the new ones. I live out in the boonies and have no known radiator shops in the area that I would trust to re-core. Also, I am concerned that the new cores might not look authentic and/or provide the best possible cooling. My tanks are 80 + years old. Brass hardens with age. I would like new tanks. At least I think I would.

So, I think that I want to go with new radiators from a reputable source. So far Brassworks has been recommended. I will contact them Monday. Are there other manufacturers to choose from???
Daryl Middlebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
Ken Arms

I used a Walker in my 34, I had to have the fan relief made for the tank and my radiator cap is fake although with the walker set up you can use a low pressure cap which I think helps keep it cooler. I did have to modify the brackets a bit for the grill fit but over all it works well. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
deuce_roadster

If your tanks are in good shape you will have no trouble selling them at a swap meet.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
51504bat

Going to pick up my new Brass Works radiator next week when I'm in Pismo for the TROG. Its going in my '39 p/u with an 8ba. They took a lot of time on the phone and by email to make sure the radiator they were making for me was what I needed and would fit. Yes, they do make the fan recess and even the curved top tubes if your original had them. Excellent people to deal with. Lead time is about 8 weeks so be prepared to wait but IMO well worth it.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
37fordpickup

Ask Brassworks if they have an "orphan" radiator. They had one for my 37 pickup which was very close and saved me over $500. I'm not trying to do a full restoration and someday I will find a radiator shop who can recore my original.
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
TStiles

Gotta go with Deuce_Roadster's suggestion - If possible, re-core. It doesn't matter HOW good a fit your manufacturer of a new radiator says their product will be, you'll wind up having to "adjust". Often much more than you like.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #13
Pat/Ohio

Daryl, If you choose to re-core (I would), you can contact Steve Powell at Powell's Radiator Service in Wilmington, OH. Phone 937-382-2096. He has re-cored many '32 & '36 Ford radiators. He advertises in Hemmings. Does great work.

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #14
RalphM

So my 35 radiator got hit hard. The core is mostly intact but there is a definite twist to the right side , can it be recored, or do I have to go new?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Almost anything can be fix, it really is a matter of cost. You will have to weigh the cost of repair vs the cost of new
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #16
deucemac

I also had Brassworks build me a radiator. When I picked it up, I was given a full tour of the shop. Incredibly impressive. These guys can build anything for our Fords and up to 540K Mercedes-Benz with absolute correctness. I bought lots of radiators over the years from good shops and these guys top them all. Five years and LOTS of miles later, it just keeps doing it's job. I don't know if they do recores but if they did Henry would have a hard time telling the difference.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote