Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default 1941 Ignition parts recommendations

Car is a stock 1941 11A flathead. Runs fine now after a lot of minor repairs and adjustments. Only had it a year, no history. Stock 3 bolt helmet distributor. Stock 6v positive ground and going to keep it that way. Added a dual carb setup that works well but I don't think that's relevant.

My goals are 1. a reliable driver, and 2. a period correct late 1940's or early 1950's sleeper or moonshine runner, 3. already satisfied with performance but willing to enhance it if doesn't cost much in money or reliability.

A previous owner replaced the coil with a modern cylindrical coil and bypassed the ignition resistor.

I'd like to be as stock or period correct as possible without downgrading performance and, based upon all the hard luck stories I've heard, I'd like to have some reliable spare ignition parts.

1. Who would you recommend for a stock coil, I don't have a core to rebuild? I'd like to replace my current coil with something more original and keep the current coil as a spare

2. Who/what would you recommend for a stock ignition resistor? Do I wire that in when I replace the modern coil with a stock coil?

3. Who/what would you recommend for ignition points for the stock distributor? I want some for spares.

4. BTW, I didn't ask about condensers because I already have a Tubman trashcan condenser as a spare.

I'm open to ideas but a lot of recommendations here on the barn say the stock helmet distributor is hard to beat.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 12-27-2022 at 09:49 PM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 1941 Ignition parts recommendations

Find another 3 bolt distributor that uses a 2 screw coil and send it and a correct used coil to one of the reputable rebuilders here on the Barn (Michael at 3rd Gen or Skip Haney in Florida, there are others) Skip also can rebuild a stock coil with new innards. In my estimation, NOS points and a good condenser of the correct MFD rating are the most difficult parts to find. Good luck.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:52 PM   #3
ford38v8

Your resistor having been bypassed, it's likely that you'll do well to wire it in once again, or find an NOS resistor. Points NOS also, don't even think about using modern off the shelf points or resistor. Make sure you have an 11A advance on your distributor, that mark to be found on the drive tang. Use the condenser that Skip Haney recommends for his rebuilt coils.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
corvette8n

Here’s my ‘41 setup. A swap meet $10.00 coil that I sent to Skip for a rebuild, Tubmans condenser, and a Charlie NY rebuilt distributor. I also have a crab setup I’m going to install on a spare flathead That will eventually get swapped into this car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DC1A8293-8577-41E0-8CF6-D35835B9DFAE.jpeg (64.7 KB, 67 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
here’s my ‘41 setup. A swap meet $10.00 coil that i sent to skip for a rebuild, tubmans condenser, and a charlie ny rebuilt distributor. I also have a crab setup i’m going to install on a spare flathead that will eventually get swapped into this car.

yep that will work very well...........use napa cd47 contacts
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #6
TJ

Most likely the round coil on your car has an internal resistor and that's why they bypassed the stock resistor. If the car runs good now, I would leave it alone. You have already passed the stock look by installing the dual carbs. If it ain't broke don't fix it. JMHO.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
slowforty

TJ is correct. Check out my previous post on ignition resistors. I had one that would not fail completely. Drove me nuts trying to figure out the issue
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:13 PM   #8
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
TJ is correct. Check out my previous post on ignition resistors. I had one that would not fail completely. Drove me nuts trying to figure out the issue

I remember that thread. Where did you buy your new resistor? New or NOS?
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote