Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2022, 02:17 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Bushing dropped out of crab distributor?

So today I got to do something entirely different at work. A while back a young mobile mechanic I know was working on a '47 ford flatbed in a barn on an old waterfront estate. He was hired by the 42 year old grandson of the gentleman who had it restored in 1974. I had seen the truck briefly about 30 years ago when I built cabinets for the folks. This mechanic had been trained at an Audi dealership and he was not familiar with carbs and distributors so he brought them over to my shop one weekend. I sent them to Charlie NY and they returned all new.
Last Saturday I took the parts and some wire and a temporary fuel tank, fresh battery etc etc to the barn and met the current owner. The barn is huge but has no lighting and few windows so work was by a clip lamp and a good flashlight.The truck had an electric fuel pump and 12 v alternator. I pulled the plugs added mmo, cranked it on and off. Got pressure on the manual op gauge. Installed carbureuter and distributor, new plug wires and then had to high tail it home for a birthday dinner engagement. Today I returned with a few things I needed such as a new low pressure electric fuel pump as the old one was full of ancient gas and crusty. Hooked up the outboard poly tank and an inline filter, got a good squirt from the accelerator pump nozzles, but no spark. The existing napa coil had looked ok at a glance, but when I pulled it up from the bracket it was labled 6V. Hmmm could be a problem. Still I had to look down into the dark abyss between the radiator and engine to see if I forgot to hook up the wire. The grandson was helping me so we were both peering down there with a flash light. The wire was on and tight, but what was that shiny circular thing down by the crank pulley? Previously I had noticed the new bushing Charlie had installed at the drive end about the same size, but it looked more 'bronze' than the silvery thing gleaming against dirty splash pan. We both saw it and neither of us could reach it so I stood on the bumper and hooked it with a finger and as I felt it I realized what it was.....
Last Monday I discovered that my wedding band had disappeared from my finger. Losing 20 lbs will do that.... I had no Idea where or when it may have fallen off. Could have been weeks ago and I had been Many different places. I scoured my vehicles, shops house etc, but knew it was a longshot. I felt really bad telling my wife so I hadn't yet. Tonight she enjoyed hearing the story and she added that if we had gotten spark we never would have peered down there with a flashlight and there it would be for the next generation to discover. (or on the road) It was a good day. Tomorrow I return with a coil and my ring in my watch pocket until I get it resized. Will regular plumber's solder work or do I need to get some kinda silver solder? I think it's white gold. I do have a good sharp blade in my hacksaw already. I think it's a lenox....... Pray for spark.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 11-10-2022 at 02:24 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:33 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Bushing dropped out of crab distributor?

It’s always a good day to have one of GB Sisson’s stories to read.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:45 AM   #3
Mart

Wow. Glad you found it, GB.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:25 AM   #4
glennpm

Good story!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
51504bat

Years ago I stopped wearing my wedding ring after I did some under hood arc welding when I grounded a hot wire with it. Just a thought.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Years ago I stopped wearing my wedding ring after I did some under hood arc welding when I grounded a hot wire with it. Just a thought.
I still wear mine (nearly always) but oh my, I so can relate to your story. Last year, checking the fence line (hot wire) I got too close, and the power arced to my finger. Probably a good three inches away. Right to my knees I'd went.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I still wear mine (nearly always) but oh my, I so can relate to your story. Last year, checking the fence line (hot wire) I got too close, and the power arced to my finger. Probably a good three inches away. Right to my knees I'd went.
I have heard of guys accidently peeing on an electric fence... Yikes..... And BAT, I was trying to figure out how the ring was hotted up by arc welding until I realized the ring WAS the welder. OUCH!!! on both of you !

My jobsite is amazing and even has a lift!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walker barn find.jpg (119.9 KB, 299 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 11-10-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Mart

My friend burnt his finger badly when he accidently shorted a battery with his ring being part of the circuit. My son's friend lost a finger when he let go of a bar he was hanging on and his ring snagged onto something.
My wedding ring remains in my bedside cabinet where it has been for the last 30 plus years.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:02 PM   #9
deuce_roadster

When I was in the service, a Maxillo-facial surgeon I usually assisted did the same thing as Mart's friend when he was checking for a loose wire on a GM solenoid. A lot of amps and heat real fast. The Colonel was out of action for a while. Gold is an EXCELLENT conductor.
Gary, did you go buy a lottery ticket on the way home after finding your ring?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
slowforty

At least the ring was not in your nose (married almost 35 years)
I have a friend who spent a half hour looking for a half inch wrench while it was in his hand.
Now that I am 75 I can sympathize with that story
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
My jobsite is amazing and even has a lift!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #12
pistonbroke

GB, You have very understanding wife . Congrats, Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:50 PM   #13
cas3

Another good story from GB. Also, I have an antique lift exactly like that ! I was so proud the day I got it, and yet 30 years later I have still not set it up ! Crazy !!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #14
swedishsteel

Cousin was running the grader/snowplow and swung down out of the cab and his ring hooked on something and stripped the meat off his finger. That's when I quit wearing mine and it sits in the jewelry box on the dresser.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
My friend burnt his finger badly when he accidently shorted a battery with his ring being part of the circuit. My son's friend lost a finger when he let go of a bar he was hanging on and his ring snagged onto something.
My wedding ring remains in my bedside cabinet where it has been for the last 30 plus years.

I had a piece of MIG slag land on my ring and gold, being an excellent conductor, heated up so quickly it burnt my finger really badly. Serves me right for trying to do a "quick" weld job.

I've also lost and found my wedding ring twice.

1st time: Came off my finger while playing with it while driving down a two lane road. I remember hearing the ding, ding, ding as it bounced on the road. I stopped and found it laying on the white fog stripe.

2nd time: I built a huge dry stack rock wall. There was 25 ton of stone all in a pile. While working, my ring came off and I didn't notice until the end of the day. Later in the week, I picked up a rock and there is was. Truly needle in a haystack type of thing.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:02 AM   #16
GB SISSON

And Now, For the Rest of the Story......
Went back to the barn yesterday. Keep in mind this barn is a good 50 minute drive each way. I live on the far Eastern end of Orcas Island and it's out on the Western tip. As far as it gets from here. I brought my new napa coil and we hooked it up. Still no spark. Re-checked every connection and found nothing obvious. Pulled the distributor, took it out into the sunshine and looked closely for anything that looked out of order to the eye. Looked perfect. My helper said it looked like it was assembled by a surgeon. I have a box with 6 or 7 untested 59 ab style distributors here in my shop. They came from dead trucks, parts trucks, and cracked blocks I dragged home. I decided to build a testing apparatus set up on the tailgate of my Foyota, as all my flat spaces are occupied.... I like the deep cycle/marine starting batteries for their extra stud terminal. I made up an 'L' bracket for the neg stud and bolted one ear of a distributor to it. Holder and ground combined. Zip tied the coil to the batteries handle and ran it's neg terminal to the distributor. I decided to test one of the 'unknowns' until I found one I could use for a control sample. I already knew my rebuilt one didn't spark. What do ya know?! First one threw a fat spark at 3/8", perhaps even 1/2". Very audible and the air had the aroma of ozone. Next one was a dud. Third was right up there with the first. This is fun.... OK, time for the big test. My 'Ignition Switch' was wrapping a stripped wire around the pos battery stud. On the first three testers this operation created the normal sparking one might expect, but the rebuilt showed no arcing even when I tried to produce it. I spun the shaft and as expected, no spark. I got to looking at the nice paint job Charlie had laid down and the word 'ground' came to mind..... Sanded tie ear all shiny and got my first spark. Sanded the opposite ear where my coil wire arcs and voila! Fat spark, audible snap, and wafting ozone. Charlie gave me his full blessing for me to share this with you all, and he requests that I send his friends on the Barn a hearty Hello!
Old 11-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #17
petehoovie

"Went back to the barn yesterday. Keep in mind this barn is a good 50 minute drive each way. I live on the far Eastern end of Orcas Island and it's out on the Western tip." - GB Sisson

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-11-2022 at 02:05 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #18
tubman

Wow! That looks cool! Almost like a pirate's treasure map.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #19
cas3

How come GB's home is not marked as a "tourist attraction " ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:57 PM   #20
rotorwrench

On the ring solder question, there are many different alloys of silver, gold, and the in between mixes. Jeweler's keep all sorts of solders. Some prefer the paste with an alloy & flux mix and some prefer solder wire and separate flux. Some use solder chips too. It just depends on the project at hand as to what type works best.for the individual. I have a pretty good supply for the different projects I do now and then.

In the army, they showed us the horror films about rings & wrist watches. I got burned by a watch band.when I was a kid. The last time I wore a watch was just before my military discharge. Once was enough for me. The ring comes off and into the tool box before I turn a wrench.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote