Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Did I fry my starter relay?

In the real world, it shouldn't.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #22
koates

Well everybody has answered the issues at stake here. My advice is to run with the 6 volt optima battery and remove the deep cycle battery from the car. Test to see that your generator is charging OK. to do this use a multimeter set on DC VOLTS and connect it to ground and the generator output wire , rev the engine up for a couple of minutes and the voltage should come up to about 7.5 volts. The generator will not charge at engine idle speed, it needs some revs up. The 6 volt red top optima battery is the very best battery you could have in your car provided it is OK. They usually have a long life if looked after, around 10 years is an average. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #23
ironfly28

That's exactly the path I'm heading down...I'll even consider leaving a second optima unhooked in the tray as a back up to fill the space. The charging system looks to be very nice but there's some suspect hardware on the generator cutout. I've always practiced leaving the car on the trickle charger if it's not getting driven regularly...I wonder if the deep cycle was a lazy version of this practice.
ironfly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #24
koates

Your optima 6 volt battery does not require to be left on a trickle charger all the time. Maybe a few hours every couple of weeks is enough. Optima batteries hold their charge much longer than regular lead acid batteries. A good idea to use the battery cut off switch when the car is not in use. What hardware on the cut out are you talking about. Is it a condenser on the battery terminal of the cut out which is to suppress noise in the car radio? If so then leave it there. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #25
ironfly28

It's the generator cutout assembly on top of the generator... it's snug in place but has some junk drawer washers added to the mounting surface. I'm sure it's fine but it sticks out against the wiring which has a very professional finish. I've now deep sixed the deep cycle.
ironfly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #26
rotorwrench

I've heard of folks trying to set their car up to start on 12-volts and then run on 6-volts. Depending on how it was set up, it could make that system problematic. While 12-volts won't kill a 6-volt starter during short periods of operation, it may have an effect on the ignition coil (without ballast) or the generator depending on whether it's a 2-brush or a 3-brush type. It wouldn't be good for a 3-brush type with only a cut out relay.

I would remove the second battery and restore the system to original capacity. This would include 1 gauge battery and starter cables minimum.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

He has them connected in parallel, so still 6v.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote