Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2023, 11:57 AM   #1
PeteVS

Default 2nd won't engage?

A few years ago, I put together a "39" trans with what I thought were all the right parts. Later synchros, later shifter top and a 29 tooth cluster, 15 tooth input shaft. Yesterday, I got everything together, engine running and I tried driving up the street. First gear- it's all right! Third gear- it's all right! Reverse gear- it's all right! SECOND GEAR- NUTHIN!!
I took the top off today. The center of the groove on the synchro wants to be about a 1/2" ahead of the center bolt hole for the top. With the shifter lever in second, the center of the fork only goes back to about 3/4" ahead of that center bolt.
It's hard to read the part number on the shifter fork but it appears to be 68-7230. Is that right? Could the shifter rail have the hole in the wrong place?

I have to figure out how to load two more pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Trans no 2nd 02.jpeg (122.3 KB, 217 views)
Old 04-25-2023, 12:01 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 2nd won't engage?

Does the slider work correctly by hand? I'd move the slider into the 2nd position, then measure where it is at in reference to a known datum, then manually move the shifter top into what should be 2nd and see where it is at?

I've never had this issue, but I've also made sure I had all the correct parts before building.

If you continue to have drama, let me know and I'll measure a double-detent 39 style top (I have one loose).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
A few years ago, I put together a "39" trans with what I thought were all the right parts. Later synchros, later shifter top and a 29 tooth cluster, 15 tooth input shaft. Yesterday, I got everything together, engine running and I tried driving up the street. First gear- it's all right! Third gear- it's all right! Reverse gear- it's all right! SECOND GEAR- NUTHIN!!
I took the top off today. The center of the groove on the synchro wants to be about a 1/2" ahead of the center bolt hole for the top. With the shifter lever in second, the center of the fork only goes back to about 3/4" ahead of that center bolt.
It's hard to read the part number on the shifter fork but it appears to be 68-7230. Is that right? Could the shifter rail have the hole in the wrong place?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:51 PM   #4
marko39

I am not sure of the difference but my 39 fork is a 91a part no.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Pete,

It looks to me you've got the wrong forks. The early double detent tops were used with some transmissions that still had the early gear set and synchros.

If you have using the later, improved synchro set up, like someone mentioned, the forks you need are the 91A-series forks.

One last thing to check: When you put the top on to the cluster, you made sure the cluster was in the neutral position, correct?

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 04-25-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 05:37 PM   #6
PeteVS

Thsnks folks! Gotta round up a different fork. At least I won't have to pull the engine to get the trans out.

Just looked at Mac's web page. 91A-7230 isn't available. What are the differences between the 68 and the 91A parts. Are there synchro sleeves to match each?
Old 04-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Thsnks folks! Gotta round up a different fork. At least I won't have to pull the engine to get the trans out.

Just looked at Mac's web page. 91A-7230 isn't available. What are the differences between the 68 and the 91A parts. Are there synchro sleeves to match each?
I'll get a picture of the 91A forks and the corresponding synchro later. Mac VP is the go for trans parts. He'll have what you need.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:57 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

91A- (1939) Arm ...........

Your "68" Arm (1936)..........

Considering the angle, it surely looks different to me. In fact, yours looks like it has maybe been cut & rewelded?

Another 91A ....... Does NOT resemble yours.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:02 PM   #9
svm99

There is a good chance your "68" fork has had the tips of the forks ground open from 2 7/8" to 3" to fit the later synchro sleeve. This seems to be a common way to build a '39 trans in times gone by, however the offset of the forks are different as you have discovered. Finding the correct 91A fork will take some doing, search swap meets and get a want here on the 'Barn.
Good luck, Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:37 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

PeteVS, can you post a picture taken at the open top of your transmission that will show us the gears that are in your transmission. The 68-7230 fork is definitely not correct for use with the '39 to '48 type gears, but it could have been modified to fit the 2nd/3rd syncro collar. As others have already mentioned, 91A-7230 fork is correct for '39 and later gears.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-25-2023 at 09:44 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #11
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
PeteVS, can you post a picture taken at the open top of your transmission that will show us the gears that are in your transmission.
Here's a picture of the gears. It was taken after the trans was shifted into second gear and the top was lifted straight up. Note that the sleeve has stopped about 1/4" shy of the second gear. I assume that it should have gone solid against it.

Mac lists the 91A-7320 but he doesn't have stock.

(I think I remember who I got it from- another Barner. But, that was YEARS ago.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trans no 2nd 04.jpg (83.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 09:29 AM   #12
PeteVS

Question: Would my 68-7320 work in my trans with a "single detent" top assembly and the synchros I have now. It appears that the fork has been ground out to fit the later synchro as stated in post #9 above. I'm pretty sure I have one of earlier tops lying around.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:56 AM   #13
Zeke3

No, the groove on the ‘39 style synchro, like you have, is to the rear and the earlier synchro sleeve the groove is in the middle, so the early fork will not pull the late synchro sleeve fully back to the second gear position. Look in the swap meet section, there is a user that was selling modified forks. It might be what you need. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322823

Last edited by Zeke3; 04-26-2023 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added link to swap meet posting.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Here's a picture of the gears. It was taken after the trans was shifted into second gear and the top was lifted straight up. Note that the sleeve has stopped about 1/4" shy of the second gear. I assume that it should have gone solid against it.

Mac lists the 91A-7320 but he doesn't have stock.

(I think I remember who I got it from- another Barner. But, that was YEARS ago.)
Okay, you definitely have the later gears and syncros. I can see why it was not going into 2nd gear based on the position of the collar/sleeve. That's typically one of the reasons why the 68-7320 fork does not work even when the internal dimension of the fork is ground or reshaped to fit the later syncro 2nd/3rd gear collar.
I think your best bet would be find a complete and correct double detent '39 type shifter top with the 91A-7320 fork.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Hey Pete, if you can't find a 91A ford or complete double-detent top, let me know - I may have a spare fork (not a top), but can't look until the weekend. You have the later gear set (which is good), you just need the correct top or fork.

I prefer the whole top as the double-detent setup is the best of the beasts.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:21 AM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Okay, you definitely have the later gears and syncros. I can see why it was not going into 2nd gear based on the position of the collar/sleeve. That's typically one of the reasons why the 68-7320 fork does not work even when the internal dimension of the fork is ground or reshaped to fit the later syncro 2nd/3rd gear collar.
I think your best bet would be find a complete and correct double detent '39 type shifter top with the 91A-7320 fork.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #17
PeteVS

Okay. I have the entire double detent top but I see now that I have the wrong second/high fork. The photo I posted shows the synchro where it winds up when I shift into second. It's about 1/4" shy of contacting the second gear due to the wrong fork. Here are the pictures I wanted to post originally but my Apple / Apple got screwed up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg part no 01.jpg (184.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpeg Forks.jpeg (124.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Okay. I have the entire double detent top but I see now that I have the wrong second/high fork. The photo I posted shows the synchro where it winds up when I shift into second. It's about 1/4" shy of contacting the second gear due to the wrong fork. Here are the pictures I wanted to post originally but my Apple / Apple got screwed up.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #19
PeteVS

So, I guess the only question left is, "Did the 68-7230 fork EVER work with the new synchro in days gone by?"
Old 04-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

Quote:
So, I guess the only question left is, "Did the 68-7230 fork EVER work with the new synchro in days gone by?"
No. 91A fork came along with the new synchro. Smaller fork, old synchro. Larger forks, new synchro.