Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Charles Brock

Default '32 3-W Rear Window

What is the best rear window seal for a '32 3-W roll down rear window, and who has it? Thanks
Charles Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: '32 3-W Rear Window

There is not really much of a seal, it is similar to a side-glass. There is a drip-pan that catches the water that gets around the glass and drains out a tube through the floor in the trunk area. Are you looking for the whiskers?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51176

Last edited by JSeery; 03-20-2018 at 07:50 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
There is not really much of a seal, it is similar to a side-glass. There is a drip-pan that catches the water that gets around the glass and drains out a tube through the floor in the trunk area. Are you looking for the whiskers?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51176
Thanks for the info. Yes, I am looking for the whiskers are something that will help keep the trash out. I understand that you are not going to seal out the water. Thanks
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here is a link to the Carpenter kit, but I really don't know who sells the best kits.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/rear-win...kit/p/A-46108/
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
TJ

Drakes kit shows the rubber bumpers and it uses a single continuous piece of flexible channel. I think that would seal better than the rubber upper piece in the Carpenter kit
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Here is a link to the Carpenter kit, but I really don't know who sells the best kits.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/rear-win...kit/p/A-46108/
Yes, this A-46108 Roll Down Rear Glass Kit from Vintique is what I am using. However, there is no protection against trash or water at the bottom of the rear glass at the Lower Metal Channel.
What type of seal, if any, is being used at the Rear Glass Lower Metal Channel? Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Brock View Post
Yes, this A-46108 Roll Down Rear Glass Kit from Vintique is what I am using. However, there is no protection against trash or water at the bottom of the rear glass at the Lower Metal Channel.
What type of seal, if any, is being used at the Rear Glass Lower Metal Channel? Thanks
As I recall there used to be a rubber channel with a lip on it that went on the bottom of the glass and fit into the metal glass channel. When the window rolled up the lip came up against the outside metal lip of the body to keep out some water and other debris. I think I recall that rubber channel was used on Model A's for the door glass. Check with the model A parts vendors to see if it is still reproduced.

Last edited by TJ; 03-21-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
As I recall there used to be a rubber channel with a lip on it that went on the bottom of the glass and fit into the metal glass channel. When the window rolled up the lip came up against the outside metal lip of the body to keep out some water and other debris. I think I recall that rubber channel was used on Model A's for the door glass. Check with the model A parts vendors to see if it is still reproduced.
TJ, Thanks. This is exactly what I am lookin for. I see also that Drake has a B-45968 Door Glass to Body Seal that looks like it might work. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
DavidG

The rubber channel with the lip is used on all door and coupe rear windows to set the glass into the horizontal steel window channel with the lip facing outward. It is normally sold separately and not a part of the kits that address the sides and top of the glass.

As for the upper soft rubber seal in the Vintique kit, it has a shallow U shape and provides an excellent seal when the upper edge of the glass is nested in the upside down U.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote