Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Grampy

Default How do YOU do it?

Hi All,

I've just acquired a set of Year Of Manufacture plates and I'm reluctant to attach the permanent sticker from DMV registration that will be required every year. The YOM plate is the legal license plate.

What alternative methods do you use to display the current year registration sticker?

Thanks for your ideas,
Steve
Grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: How do YOU do it?

in ca. they give you 2 lil toppers for the stickers . looks really hokey . i carry mine in the door pouch . keepn my front plate under the pass seat , dont like them either . 6 yrs now , never even been looked at ! do what works for you untill told otherwise . never ask DMV anything , wait till your told no !! ................... steve
Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
TK in LA

See Greedy Bay Auction #180514511900. It is already closed.
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
John Butts in CT

Agreed. I keep my sticker, registration, insurance card and front plate under the seat. Never a problem.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
dr.j

I placed the yearly renewal sticker on the bottom right corner and trimmed it to fit the space. Ontario CA requires it be placed in the upper right but it would have covered some of the last digit. Several black and whites have followed me and did not pull us over but I am sure they ran the plate to ensure it was valid to the car.
Ontario 1928
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Michael in Sedona

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Having been stopped in Cottonwood, AZ, just for having a YOM plate, I decided to follow the rules (kind of) and use the annual stickers, but not on the plate itself.

What you see above the upper right hand corner of the plate is a standard 5" x 7" plastic laminate sample, known generically as "formica", spray painted flat black and sandwiched between the plate and the mounting bracket. The 7" dimension is placed vertically, and captures both the top and bottom mounting bolts for the plate. I put the stickers on the formica, and so far so good.

The formica works great. The samples from Wilsonart Plastics come with rounded corners, the material is thin yet strong, and has not delaminated through several winters and summers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelAPlate.jpg (55.9 KB, 43 views)
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Richard in NC

Here in NC I just carry the plate with stickers on it in my tools. On the back of the car I have a plate that reads 31. I was looking for a 1931 plate and could not find a nice one reasonably priced. I bought a 1961 NC plate for $3 and hammered the 6 into a 3 with some punches and homemade tools. Repainted it 1931 colors and have been running it for 5 years. No one ever questions it. Thats just the way I am.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in NC View Post
Here in NC I just carry the plate with stickers on it in my tools. On the back of the car I have a plate that reads 31. I was looking for a 1931 plate and could not find a nice one reasonably priced. I bought a 1961 NC plate for $3 and hammered the 6 into a 3 with some punches and homemade tools. Repainted it 1931 colors and have been running it for 5 years. No one ever questions it. Thats just the way I am.
When the law catches up with you, you can make your own REAL plate LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Chris in WNC

Default depends on which state you are in.

I have both As registered with Florida "horsless carriage" plates (one-time fee, no renewal). I keep the plates in the trunks and run YOM plates.

once upon a time that was legal in Florida, the law might have been changed since .

I was stopped in a speed trap driving our 37 Plymouth a few years ago. the cop never asked for registration, just wrote the number of my '37 plate on the ticket and sent me on my way. as long as your check clears, the clerk of courts is not gonna sweat the small stuff
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
skip
Banned

How do you do it?
'How Now Brown Cow? Same Way Black Bull' Say that fast a couple of times...

No stickers to purchase or affix to Wisconsin collector plates. You want a sticker to let go, heat it up with a paint stripping gun or hair dryer and pick it off with your nail. About 140 deg F. But 160 is too hot to touch. There is the temperature range.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Model A Man

Here in CA you need a front and rear Lic Plate so when the red light camera catches you going through a red light they can send you the ticket in the mail. Here is a picture of the rear YOM plate with the toppers. Also here in CA the dmv charges you an extra $10.00 every year for the pleasure of using your YOM on your car. If you can't find them. You might be able to make some out of 1/16 or 1/8 alum plate

Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
Grampy

I'll keep an eye out for those toppers. In the meantime, I guess the door pocket will work just fine.

Thanks for the help!
Grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: depends on which state you are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Jax View Post
I have both As registered with Florida "horsless carriage" plates (one-time fee, no renewal). I keep the plates in the trunks and run YOM plates.

once upon a time that was legal in Florida, the law might have been changed since .

Same here Horseless in the trunk and 1930 Fla on the back. (1930 NY in the front.

I figure if I get stopped I'd say "Oh shit I forgot to change it back from the last show"

We all have to rememeber that ANYTHING other than following the law to the letter, we could get in trouble.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #14
Richard in NC

Hi Tom, I was stopped once when my tail lights were not working and the cop thought the licence plate was pretty. Maybe they don't know any more than the general public, Ha Ha. Have a good day.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #15
Barry in St.Paul

I have YOM plates for my '30 coupe, and I don't recall the Minnesota policy requiring anything for stickers. Thankfully. :-) The YOM plates replaced my "Pioneer" plates, that didn't require stickers either (one time fee). I'm curious, are your plates the same as regular car license, with all the same 'rights' of driving? Technically, our Minnesota 'one time fee' plates limit you to driving 'n parades, daylight hours, Sunday afternoons, club tours..... something like that (I don't recall the verbage). I think the phrase about 'or as needed to maintain the car' gets you a lot of leeway. Regardless, wondering if other states require annual fees just for that antique-car, limited-type license? Or if that is a daily-driving type license....
2nd question; I've noticed in many photos that people block out their license plate numbers; why? What is the 'danger' of others knowing your license number that I am ignorant of? Thanks!
Barry in St.Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
Ray64

In OHIO i have historical plates to keep in the car with a onetime sticker and YOM plates on the car
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry in St.Paul View Post
I have YOM plates for my '30 coupe, and I don't recall the Minnesota policy requiring anything for stickers. Thankfully. :-) The YOM plates replaced my "Pioneer" plates, that didn't require stickers either (one time fee). I'm curious, are your plates the same as regular car license, with all the same 'rights' of driving? Technically, our Minnesota 'one time fee' plates limit you to driving 'n parades, daylight hours, Sunday afternoons, club tours..... something like that (I don't recall the verbage). I think the phrase about 'or as needed to maintain the car' gets you a lot of leeway. Regardless, wondering if other states require annual fees just for that antique-car, limited-type license? Or if that is a daily-driving type license....
2nd question; I've noticed in many photos that people block out their license plate numbers; why? What is the 'danger' of others knowing your license number that I am ignorant of? Thanks!
2nd question:
Main reason I know of is someone can get the plate number, have a friend at DMV look up your address, watch the house and follow you to where you store the car and come back later and steal it.

Sure they can do the same thing at a car show but if you post the number they do not even have to pay the entry fee to the car show.

Similar deal with posting your engine number. Someone might have stolen the car even years ago and if the original owner finds that you have the car then they come get it or the insurance company does!

Last edited by Benson; 06-07-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
Model A Man

I am not sure why. but I was told that it was not wise to show you plate # on the internet. So i am just being more safe than sorry.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
Bruce

In Illinois, if we buy the antique plate, we can display the year-of-manufacture plate. Gotta have the antique plates in the car, though. I also carry a copy of the chapter and verse, just in case I am stopped by a trooper who doesn't know the rule.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
Dick So. Cal.

I run a YOM on the front of my Cabbie and a vanity plate on the rear with all the registration tags, etc. I figure if I get challanged, I'll take the hit. I might even claim I didn't take them off since the last show.
Personally, I don't think the police really worry about antique cars anyway unless they are going too slow on the freeway.
Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote